Feminists Deny Truth on Domestic Violence

Old June 4th 06, 11:20 PM posted to alt.child-support,alt.mens-rights,alt.support.divorce

Default Feminists Deny Truth on Domestic Violence

Feminists Deny Truth on Domestic Violence
Tuesday, May 30, 2006
By Wendy McElroy

In the last three decades, feminism has revolutionized daily life from the
legal system and social mores down to the story books children use in
kindergarten. Feminist discussion seems to be 'always' and 'everywhere'.
But I believe the contrary is true. Genuine discussion of feminist issues
ended in the 1970s when one school came to dominate and moved to silence
competing views both within the movement and outside.

Politically correct feminists maintain that women as a class are politically
oppressed by men as a class, which means that every woman is oppressed by
every man. Class oppression is the ideological lens through which PC
feminism views all issues.

Tammy Bruce's book "The New Thought Police" (2001) received media buzz as a
former insider's expose of how PC feminists smear their intellectual
opponents in an attempt to silence and discredit them. For example, Bruce
described how PC feminists led a campaign of defamation against the
conservative Dr. Laura Schlessinger by misrepresenting her as homophobic.

Joan Garry, executive director of the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against
Defamation, was quoted as saying, "If she can't be controlled, she must be
stopped."

The PC treatment of heretics within feminism has been no less brutal.
Indeed, heretics are commonly reviled more than infidels.

Consider Erin Pizzey.

In 1971, Pizzey opened the first battered wives shelter in England, which
she ran until 1982. Arguably, the Chiswick Family Rescue was the second
domestic violence shelter in the world. Pizzey's book "Scream Quietly or the
Neighbours Will Hear" (1974, out of print) was one of the first to explore
and expose wife battering.

Today, the shelter Pizzey founded denies her entry; her name does not appear
in its official history.

Pizzey's 'mistake' was to diverge from the theory of domestic violence that
feminists at the time insisted dominate all discussion. She believed that
men could also be the victims of domestic violence, and that women could be
as violent toward their partners as men.

Pizzey's views put her on a collision course with PC feminists who,
according to Pizzey's own published account of events, initiated a campaign
of harassment and violence against her.

Pizzey described this harassment in an article she published in the Scotsman
in 1999.

"Because of my opposition to the hijacking of the refuge movement, I was a
target for abuse. Anywhere I spoke there was a contingent of screaming,
heckling feminists waiting for me," Pizzey wrote. "Abusive telephone calls
to my home, death threats and bomb scares, became a way of living for me and
for my family. Finally, the bomb squad, asked me to have all my mail
delivered to their head quarters."

One night, the family dog was killed.

Eventually, "exhausted and disillusioned," Pizzey said she went into "exile
with her children and grandchildren," leaving England in 1982 to live in
Santa Fe, New Mexico.

Pizzey returned to England that same year for the book tour of her next
book, "Prone to Violence," which once again ignited a violent reaction among
feminists. Pizzey wrote that when she arrived in England for her book tour,
she was "met with a solid wall of feminist demonstrators" carrying signs
that read "ALL MEN ARE RAPISTS, ALL MEN ARE BATTERERS."

"The police insisted that I have an escort all round England for my book
tour," Pizzey wrote in the Scotsman.

There is some reason to believe that "Prone to Violence" has been the target
of a campaign of suppression by PC feminists. According to the web site
Wikepedia, in 1996 an internet search of the world libraries that can be
accessed through the Library of Congress uncovered only 13 listings for the
book: an astonishingly low number for a pioneering work that caused a
sensation.

Why would PC feminists nearly riot over a book and, then, ignore it?

Because Pizzey advanced a competing theory of domestic violence.

When viewed through the PC lens of class oppression, domestic violence is
not an act of violence committed by one individual against another. It is an
act committed by men that must be correctly understood within the larger
context of women's class oppression.

"Prone to Violence" spelled out some of Pizzey's disagreements with that
view.

Disagreement #1: Of the first 100 women who entered Chiswick, Pizzey found
that over 60 percent were as violent or more violent than the men they were
fleeing. In short, a significant percentage of the women were also batterers
or otherwise active participants in the violence.

Disagreement #2: Pizzey developed the theory that many battered women were
psychologically drawn to abusive relationships and they sought them out. To
PC feminists, such analysis was tantamount to 'blaming the victim.'

Disagreement #3: She explained why the existing model of domestic violence
shelters was ineffective. PC feminists were attempting then (and now) to
secure ever greater financing for these operations. Sandra Horley, director
of Chiswick in 1992, reportedly complained, "if we put across this idea that
the abuse of men is as great as the abuse of women, then it could seriously
affect our funding."

Pizzey may or may not have been correct; I believe she was and is.

Neverthless, her book drew upon over 10 years at the Chiswick shelter during
which time Pizzey dealt with some 5,000 women and children.

"Prone to Violence" is an extremely early and honest overview of domestic
violence from a woman with extensive experience of its daily realities. The
book cried out to be taken seriously. At minimum, it deserved a thorough
rebuttal from its PC feminist critics--not death threats directed at its
author nor the ultimate silence it received.

Pizzey is not alone. In America, Suzanne Steinmetz -- author of the book
"The Battered Husband" and a co-author of the much-cited "First National
Family Violence Survey" -- experienced a similar drama. She and her children
received death threats; an ACLU meeting at which she spoke received a bomb
threat.

The reason: her research indicated that the rate at which men were
victimized by domestic violence was similar to the rate for women.

In large and small ways -- from shrill protests to the tearing down of
announcements, from blocking university promotions to threats and
defamation -- PC feminism has attempted to stop voices it could not control.

Feminism is dying not from a backlash but from an orthodoxy that cannot
tolerate real discussion...and never could.

Old June 5th 06, 12:03 PM posted to alt.child-support,alt.mens-rights,alt.support.divorce

Interesting article, Dusty. I may pass this along to the anti-violence
speaker who I invite to my classes. Mostly the Pizzey stuff is of
interest (Dr. Laura just muddies the waters here IMO).

- Ron ^*^

Old June 5th 06, 01:04 PM posted to alt.child-support,alt.mens-rights,alt.support.divorce,soc.men

"Dusty" wrote in message

Politically correct feminists maintain that women as a class are
politically oppressed by men as a class, which means that every woman is
oppressed by every man. Class oppression is the ideological lens through
which PC feminism views all issues.

Tammy Bruce's book "The New Thought Police" (2001) received media buzz as
a former insider's expose of how PC feminists smear their intellectual
opponents in an attempt to silence and discredit them. For example, Bruce
described how PC feminists led a campaign of defamation against the
conservative Dr. Laura Schlessinger by misrepresenting her as homophobic.

Joan Garry, executive director of the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against
Defamation, was quoted as saying, "If she can't be controlled, she must be
stopped."

Lots of people have fallen victim to this tactic. Dr. Laura, Christina
Hoff Sommers, Suznne Steinmetz, Warrenn Farrell, myself and many too
numerous to name. Anyone who disagrees with radical feminism and is
effective will meet with this ire. That includes Tammy Bruce who is attacked
venomously for speaking to truth.

[...]

Like Pizzey Steinmentz Hoff Sommers and others have had bomb threats,
brake lines on their cars cut and so on.

[...]

Yet they deny saying this. The other thing about feminists they seldom
tell the truth. You can tell when a feminist is lying, she starts using
statistics.

[...]

Not to mention brake lines cut and the like.

The reason: her research indicated that the rate at which men were
victimized by domestic violence was similar to the rate for women.

In large and small ways -- from shrill protests to the tearing down of
announcements, from blocking university promotions to threats and
defamation -- PC feminism has attempted to stop voices it could not
control.

Feminism is dying not from a backlash but from an orthodoxy that cannot
tolerate real discussion...and never could.

AMEN! There is NO organization in world history AS opposed to free speech
as is radical feminism. Maybe Communism.

Old June 5th 06, 02:52 PM posted to alt.child-support,alt.mens-rights,alt.support.divorce,soc.men

Default I just found out that I have genital warts

krp wrote in message
D5Vgg.5135$9c7.2289@trnddc06...

my gf is horny ALL the time! she never stops and wants itagain as
soon as we've done it whereas i don't have that much ofa high sex
drive! help!

Old June 5th 06, 05:47 PM posted to alt.child-support,alt.mens-rights,alt.support.divorce

As a formerly abused husband, none of this surprizes me at all. There
are NO support services for abused men. And for my reward in the
divorce? I got to pay my abusive ex-wife spousal support!

Thank GOD we never had children. I think her fertility problem was
God's way of ensuring her gene pool did NOT continue.

In my dark time of trial, I ran across the femminists. They made me
sick. My first lawyer gave me one of Warren Farrell's books. It really
opened my eyes. I even had the fortunate experience of meeting Warren
Farrell personally, and attended one of his workshops. What a
wonderful man. He helped me rediscover myself, and helped me reconnect
with my father. Only now do I have such a deep and rich understanding
of my father - one that is NOT shared or understood by my brothers,
and - I suspect - not even his wife/my mother. I am thankful for such
insight and that it came while he is still alive.

To the femminists, all I can say is what goes around comes around. You
reap what you sew, and there IS Karma. Your time will come - sooner or
later. What are they all so damn angry about anyways? What a horrible
way to spend a life, abdicating any responsibility for your own life,
blaming others, and making outrageous demands, and usung "historical
oppression" as a smoke screen for your personal agendas. It would
almost be pathetic and laughable but for the fact that these zealots
have effected changes in the laws which now oppress men and seek to
destry families.

Old June 5th 06, 08:18 PM posted to alt.child-support,alt.mens-rights,alt.support.divorce

"Werebat" wrote in message
newsaUgg.84026$Ce1.76167@dukeread01...
Interesting article, Dusty. I may pass this along to the anti-violence
speaker who I invite to my classes. Mostly the Pizzey stuff is of
interest (Dr. Laura just muddies the waters here IMO).

Some of the father's rights sites have excerpts from Prizzey's book. She
really shook up the Violence Against Women feminists with her conclusions
that many women are emotional terrorists who have a pathological need to be
involved in violent relationships. She claims that women intentionally
create the violence within families with the goal to destroy their male
partners' reputations, and exact financial and physical damage on them.

One of the goals can be to demonize a father to gain an upper hand in a
custody dispute. When men react to the emotional terrorism tactics the laws
kick in to protect the women from the "violent" men.

Old June 5th 06, 08:58 PM posted to alt.child-support,alt.mens-rights,alt.support.divorce

On Mon, 5 Jun 2006 12:18:05 -0700, "Bob Whiteside"
wrote:

"Werebat" wrote in message
newsaUgg.84026$Ce1.76167@dukeread01...
Interesting article, Dusty. I may pass this along to the anti-violence
speaker who I invite to my classes. Mostly the Pizzey stuff is of
interest (Dr. Laura just muddies the waters here IMO).

Some of the father's rights sites have excerpts from Prizzey's book. She
really shook up the Violence Against Women feminists with her conclusions
that many women are emotional terrorists who have a pathological need to be
involved in violent relationships. She claims that women intentionally
create the violence within families with the goal to destroy their male
partners' reputations, and exact financial and physical damage on them.

Pretty much sounds like my ex. At first people saw her as the problem.
As soon as she realized this, she embarked on a 5 year smear campaign.
At the end of our marriage, she had pretty much brain-washed our
friends into thinking I was a worthless piece of crap. Her family
still knows the truth, however. A couple of years back, I ran into one
of her family members. He told me he thought the world of me, and that
if it was him in my shoes, he would have beaten her within an inch of
her life for the treatment she was dishing out. He admired my
restraint.

While he would be unlikely to admit this to the rest of the family
openly (I understand blood is thicker than water), I suspect that many
of them have talked and feel the same way.

I recall a quote from Jack Nickelson: "My mother never seemed to grasp
the irony of calling me a 'son of a bitch'".

I suspect my ex-wife similarly does not grasp that fact that by making
me look like an idiot in front of our friends, the logical statement
By making me out to be less than desireable, it simply spoke volumes
about HER. If I was "that bad", then why did she not divorce me
sooner? Oh yeah, by divorcing me early it likely would have erased any
entitlement to my paycheque. She had to suffer in silence until she
was sure she could access my wallet via the courts. Not that she would
ever admit to this though.

Old June 6th 06, 12:33 AM posted to alt.child-support,alt.mens-rights

Tuesday, May 30, 2006
By Wendy McElroy

In the last three decades, feminism has revolutionized daily life from the
legal system and social mores down to the story books children use in
kindergarten. Feminist discussion seems to be 'always' and 'everywhere'.
But I believe the contrary is true. Genuine discussion of feminist issues
ended in the 1970s when one school came to dominate and moved to silence
competing views both within the movement and outside.

Rest of post snipped for brevity---

Dusty,

Do you do much besides posting articles that express your point of view?
It might be nice to read your own ideas and views for a change. If you
have expressed your own thoughts, I haven't read those posts. I suppose
they could the ones that my ISP culls.

YK
Old June 6th 06, 07:46 AM posted to alt.child-support,alt.mens-rights

Tuesday, May 30, 2006
By Wendy McElroy

In the last three decades, feminism has revolutionized daily life from
the
legal system and social mores down to the story books children use in
kindergarten. Feminist discussion seems to be 'always' and 'everywhere'.
But I believe the contrary is true. Genuine discussion of feminist issues
ended in the 1970s when one school came to dominate and moved to silence
competing views both within the movement and outside.

Rest of post snipped for brevity---

Dusty,

Do you do much besides posting articles that express your point of view?
It might be nice to read your own ideas and views for a change. If you
have expressed your own thoughts, I haven't read those posts. I suppose
they could the ones that my ISP culls.

Indeed, I do. You should read some of my replies to the resident radfems,
they are usually quite sarcastic, to the point and filled with facts and my
own fun-filled experiences with the wonderful folks down at the "Family
Kourt Fun Center".

But there is also a lack of information being spread about this God-awful
mess the radfems have tossed our families into and want to keep us in that I
refuse to let go unnoticed. So I post the local, national and (at times)
world news about the sham and the shame of "Family" court (and anything
anti-radfem I can get my hands on).

For getting old newsgroup messages, you might want to try something like
NewsMan Pro (or something like it), from TUCOWS.COM (it was free, so what
the hey..). You might find it's not your ISP, but rather your newsreader
that is doing the culling.. Mine sure does! And on that note.. time to
call and bitch out tech support for "loosing" my favorite nudie group -
again!

Old June 6th 06, 10:03 AM posted to alt.child-support,alt.mens-rights,alt.support.divorce,soc.men

"Bob Whiteside" wrote in message

"Werebat" wrote in message
[...]

A goal is to demonize anyone effectively disputing the insane claims of
radical feminists. Hence them forming "Take Back The Net" to wage war on the
internet with anyone who dares dispute their falsehoods.