and where are you from?..

Old March 18th 04, 11:50 AM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Default Request for US members

Buzzy Bee wrote:

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 17:53:07 -0500, Vicky Bilaniuk
wrote:
but then again I might just have mucked up the snipping as usual!

Yes, although there is a move to stop using it, apparently. They are
using UMT, now, or something weird like that. Universal time, but I
forget the short version.

UTC - Universal Time Co-ordinated. Which is the same as GMT.
Phasing it out would be useful if the UK were to change to GMT/UTC + 1
permanently.

This is what I don't understand. Where I live, it was always dark when
I got up to go to school (and just barely cracking dawn while I was on
the bus). OK, perhaps the city kids who only had to walk 5 minutes
could get to see some daylight, but I was a country kid and I had a 45
minute bus ride. It never bothered me too much to go in the dark. It
was better to come home and still have some daylight left. I would
think it more dangerous to let the kids play outside at night. I know
that most parents don't do that - they make the kids stay in, but I
think that kids should be able to go out.

Whether its dark or not depends very much on where you are in the
timezone. The further east, the earlier the sunrise, so if you are
well to the east of your time zone's 'block' (as the UK is) it will
rise earlier than if you are in the west.

I'm in pretty much the middle of the southern chunk of Ontario. That
would put me pretty far west in the timezone (EST).

Old March 18th 04, 11:57 AM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Default Interested aside

toypup wrote:

straw, Ohio is shaped like an "O," etc.

That reminds me of a looney tunes cartoon: Ohio is high in the middle
and round at the ends. I forget the rest of the joke. I thought it was
cute. I'll have to watch it again to be reminded of how they lead into
it. ;-) It's on the looney tunes gold edition (DVD set), in the
episode that is remarkably similar to Singing in the Rain (the movie
with Gene Kelly et al.), although it came out earlier.

Old March 21st 04, 09:04 PM
Sophie

How many could name most/all states without looking them up?

I could probably name them all but I don't know if I could put them all on a
map - particularly the North East states and the square ones in the middle

I'll admit I
couldn't do all the counties in Britain either.
I have to add that I hadn't heard of over half of the states, and don't

know
much about the ones I have heard of, certainly couldn't place them on a

map.
I can pass on a tip that one of my tutors at Uni.. gave me:
"soil technicians from Alabama are the most boring people to meet in
Greenland!" (he'd just come back from a conference of mathematical

modelling
of glaciers in Greenland)
Debbie