sterilizing bottles questions

Old July 25th 03, 06:35 PM
teapot

Default sterilizing bottles questions

excuse typos - i am feeding the limpet.

do you think we really need to buy a sterilizing system for bottles
and cuios or will just boiling thm do? is it really necessary to
sterilize at all? i dont boil my nipples :-)

teapot
Old July 25th 03, 06:41 PM
Rob and Laura

I just wash mine with soapy water thats it. I was sterlizing them at 1st but
now just soapy water seems to do the trick for me.

--
Laura
Mommy to Izabella **Feb 10th, 2003**

om...

Old July 25th 03, 06:43 PM
Ben

teapot wrote:
excuse typos - i am feeding the limpet.

do you think we really need to buy a sterilizing system for bottles
and cuios or will just boiling thm do? is it really necessary to
sterilize at all? i dont boil my nipples :-)

I would have thought boiling is good enough. Sterilizing equiptment is
good for the convenience though we used Milton tablets for our son. You
stick a couple of them in a gallon of water and leave any bottle or
whatever there for an hour to sterilize them. The water needs to be
changed over after 24 hours. I couldn't find any in the U.S. since I
arrived though I know they are available in Australia and England. We
recently got some people we know to send us some for our next child.
When we asked our pedieatrician here about it when our son was about 6
months old he thought it was a funny system (I guess for the U.S.) and
that we only needed to wash bottles as normal without specially
sterilizing them from that point on.

regards,
Ben

--
BTW. I can be contacted at Username:newsgroup4.replies.benaltw
Domain:xoxy.net

Old July 25th 03, 08:04 PM
Irrational Number

teapot wrote:
excuse typos - i am feeding the limpet.

do you think we really need to buy a sterilizing system for bottles
and cuios or will just boiling thm do? is it really necessary to
sterilize at all? i dont boil my nipples :-)

teapot

I don't sterilize or boil. I've heard from
enough friends that they did everything "right"
for the first child, but subsequent children
didn't get the sterilization and they did
get the binky from when it dropped on the
floor and the children were fine.

So, I just ran all the bottles and pump
attachments through the dishwasher the very
first time, and now I just wash them in
hot water and air dry. Sometimes I don't
even use soap, 'cause I'm worried I may be
too sleepy to get all the soap off when I
do this at night.

-- Anita --

Old July 25th 03, 08:24 PM
Astromum

teapot wrote:
do you think we really need to buy a sterilizing system for bottles
and cuios or will just boiling thm do? is it really necessary to
sterilize at all? i dont boil my nipples :-)

No, I won't make any nasty puns, Larry's got them all covered...

We used to sterilize all the bottles every day, by boiling them
or putting them in a microwave sterilizer. Reason: we were told
to do so by the 'kraam'nurse (sort of post-partum doula). We stopped
when DS started to put everything in his mouth, although they urged
us to continue sterilizing, but I didn't see the point.

I never got a good reason for doing it, except the 'we-ve always
done it' argument, and from this group learned that it is all a
bunch of hogwash. OTOH I've read articles in parenting magazines
where parents claim that sterilizing the bottles has helped their
babies sleep better, but personally I don't see how that could
be related, except maybe through spores or such.

--
-- Ilse
mom to Olaf (07/15/2002)

Old July 25th 03, 09:13 PM
Larry McMahan

teapot writes:
: excuse typos - i am feeding the limpet.

: do you think we really need to buy a sterilizing system for bottles
: and cuios or will just boiling thm do? is it really necessary to
: sterilize at all? i dont boil my nipples :-)

: teapot

Well, now we know where you are going wrong. Actually, I would just
suggest that you put your nipples in the dishwasher.

:-)
Larry
Old July 25th 03, 10:42 PM
A&G&K

"Larry McMahan" wrote in message
Rob and Laura writes:
: I just wash mine with soapy water thats it. I was sterlizing them at 1st

but
: now just soapy water seems to do the trick for me.

That's funny. That's the way Monika has always cleaned her nipples and

still
does, and she is hardly nursing any more.

Larry

Bwha ha ha ha
Amanda

Old July 26th 03, 12:11 AM
andrea

"teapot" wrote in message
om...
excuse typos - i am feeding the limpet.

do you think we really need to buy a sterilizing system for bottles
and cuios or will just boiling thm do? is it really necessary to
sterilize at all? i dont boil my nipples :-)

teapot

I sterilized the bottles for the first 4 babies, and each one got oral
thrush. I asked my health visitor if the thrush could be connected with the
sterilizing and she said no.
This time I have just used very hot soapy water, and Kamron hasn't had oral
thrush! My midwife also told me on a home visit that she believes
sterilizing in soloution can cause thrush.
--
Andrea mom of -
Peter 7, Ellie 5, Alden 3, Joseph 21 mths & little munchie man Kamron 7

Old July 26th 03, 11:21 PM
Melissa

I just put mine in the dishwasher or wash them in very hot water (I wear
rubber gloves to wash dishes so can use really hot water). Although many of
the packages still say to sterilize every time, I'm sure a dishwasher does a
good enough job.

--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03

om...

Old July 28th 03, 05:58 PM
Ben

Naomi Pardue wrote:
I never got a good reason for doing it, except the 'we-ve always
done it' argument, and from this group learned that it is all a
bunch of hogwash.

OTOH I've read articles in parenting magazines
where parents claim that sterilizing the bottles has helped their
babies sleep better, but personally I don't see how that could
be related, except maybe through spores or such.

Ok.... the reason woman have always been told to sterilize bottles/nipples and
such is that women USED to make formula a day at a time, by mixing milk, sugar
and water together, putting it in the bottles and cooking the whole mess
together. If you didn't sterilize it, it would get pretty nasty by the end of
the day. (Especially since few people had refrigerators....)
(And, at about the same time in history, doctors began telling bfing mothers
that they had to wash their hands and scrub their nipples with alcohol and/or
boric acid solution before nursing the baby....)

I don't have much experience in these things, but I did read that a
baby's immune system is developing so bottles and whatever need
sterilizing. Though maybe that also relates back to the reason you mention.

regards,
Ben