vitamin D supplements?

Old July 26th 03, 04:09 PM
K.B.

Default vitamin D supplements?

I read it only takes 5 minutes a day for a baby in the sun. I figure that's
just going to and from the car when we go someplace.
Kris
"jake's mom" wrote in message
. com...
DS is 2 months old. We live in North Carolina--summertime now--we try to
spend a little time outside everyday but it is very hot right now so we
limit to only 10-15 minutes at a time(maybe 2-3 times daily). Is this
enough?

Thanks, Robin
"Chookie" wrote in message
In article ,
"jake's mom" wrote:

DS had his 2 month Dr. appointment today and we were told by a

nurse-not
the
Dr.- that he needs vitamin D supplements because he is exclusively
breastfed. Is this true?

The reasoning is definitely wrong, but the need for supplementation

depends on
where you live and how old your baby is. Details please!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of

age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990

Old July 26th 03, 07:16 PM
Michelle Podnar

My dr said 10 - 15 min a week is all it takes.

Michelle P
"jake's mom" wrote in message
. com...
DS is 2 months old. We live in North Carolina--summertime now--we try to
spend a little time outside everyday but it is very hot right now so we
limit to only 10-15 minutes at a time(maybe 2-3 times daily). Is this
enough?

Thanks, Robin

Old July 26th 03, 08:50 PM
jake's mom

We get out in the sun about 2-3 times a day--sunny N. Carolina--for about
10-15 minutes each time. Should be enough after reading all of these
Thanks, Robin
"Larry McMahan" wrote in message
jake's mom writes:
: DS had his 2 month Dr. appointment today and we were told by a nurse-not

the
: Dr.- that he needs vitamin D supplements because he is exclusively
: breastfed. Is this true? I take a prenatal vitamin, which I know is

for my
: benefit, but don't any of the vitamins pass through my milk to him? He
: checked out good--still in the 90%ile for height, weight, and head
: circumference--I was worried that he was not getting enough nutrition

from
: me! Am I supposed to add this supplement to his diet though?

: Thanks, Robin

How much sun does your baby get. We took our babies out naked in the sun
for 20 or so minutes a day. (Sunny No. California), and this was enough.

The recommendations for supplemental vit D are primarily for indoor babies
in northern climates who don't get much sun. It can depend on your
lifestyle a lot whether you need to supplement.

Larry

Old July 28th 03, 05:40 PM
Astromum

jake's mom wrote:
DS had his 2 month Dr. appointment today and we were told by a nurse-not the
Dr.- that he needs vitamin D supplements because he is exclusively
breastfed. Is this true?

No. He doesn't need it, the recommendation for additional vitamin D is
more out of prevention than out of need. If your son gets about 10 minutes
direct outdoors light per day, he will generate enough vitamin D in his
skin. In winter though, when he is all dressed up, you may want to extend
this to 20 minutes a day. Vitamin D is essential in absorbing the calcium
he needs for bone growth, so you are better off having slightly too much
than too little. DS got vitamin D drops through winter, but I never gave
them in summer.

--
-- Ilse
mom to Olaf (07/15/2002)