Lactating Mom Drops Ad Selling Breast Milk

Old November 10th 03, 05:47 PM
JoAnna

Default Lactating Mom Drops Ad Selling Breast Milk

article link:
http://www.local6.com/family/2623717/detail.html

the poll asks this:
If you or your partner were unable to breast-feed
your infant, would you serve the baby another woman's
breast milk?

just wondering what your answers are.

here's a summary of the article - a young woman tryed selling her milk
through a classified ad but gave up after too many prank calls. a buck an
ounce.

who'd be buying? moms for babies or fetishists?

i hate pumping (so i don't!) i'd have charged way more!!

Old November 10th 03, 07:52 PM
Hillary Israeli

*
*the poll asks this:
*If you or your partner were unable to breast-feed
*your infant, would you serve the baby another woman's
*breast milk?

I absolutely would. I would have to say I'd prefer a known donor
situation, but a milk bank would be ok too. I certainly wouldn't buy some
random stranger's milk, in any case!

FWIW I was a milk donor for a friend of mine who could not pump enough to
meet her baby's needs while she WOH.

-h.
Old November 10th 03, 10:07 PM
teapot

"JoAnna" wrote in message et...
article link:
http://www.local6.com/family/2623717/detail.html

the poll asks this:
If you or your partner were unable to breast-feed
your infant, would you serve the baby another woman's
breast milk?

snip

I have a couple of freinds who have year old babies and they
breastfeed each others children when they babysit. I was a bit
spooked by it at first, its such a personal, intimate thing but when
one explained she thought it was better to comfort a crying child if
she could then I have to agree. I'd have no problem with BF someone
elses child but I'd feel a bit jealous if someone else fed the Moo
boy. What if he liked it better :-)

teapot
Old November 10th 03, 10:41 PM
Andrea

"teapot" wrote in message ...

I have a couple of freinds who have year old babies and they
breastfeed each others children when they babysit. I was a bit
spooked by it at first, its such a personal, intimate thing but when
one explained she thought it was better to comfort a crying child if
she could then I have to agree. I'd have no problem with BF someone
elses child but I'd feel a bit jealous if someone else fed the Moo
boy. What if he liked it better :-)

teapot

Me my sister and our friend all had our babies together, they were the same
age. When we babysat for one another we found that it was easier just to
b'feed each others babies. To be honest none of the 3 babies noticed, they
didn't fuss and just drank quite happily. It worked well for us, as some of
the babies refused bottles.
We noticed the difference in latching, and varying suction power! It was
strange at first, but that was due to feeling like we were doing something
wrong, but we overcame that.
When my sister and her friend went to the hairdressers I had all 3 babies!
There were no problems, and we all knew our milk was 'safe'.
Once in Macdonalds I fed my baby then my sisters!
When I plucked up the courage to tell my health visitor she said it was
fine - after all rich women would employ wet nurses.

--
Andrea mom of 5 - latest addition Kamron David 5 months 20lbs

Old November 10th 03, 10:50 PM
Andrea

When I plucked up the courage to tell my health visitor she said it was
fine - after all rich women would employ wet nurses.

--

I meant rich women would employ wet nurses years ago!

--
Andrea mom of 5 - latest addition Kamron David 5 months 20lbs

Old November 11th 03, 02:50 AM
Phoebe & Allyson

JoAnna wrote:

the poll asks this:
If you or your partner were unable to breast-feed
your infant, would you serve the baby another woman's
breast milk?

Not milk I bought through a classified ad from a stranger.
Close friend or relative, yeah, but it would be weird. Milk
bank (assuming unlimited availability, so I wasn't taking
from a baby who needed it more), sure.

Phoebe
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

Old November 11th 03, 08:37 AM

"Andrea" wrote in message
"teapot" wrote in message ...

[...]

I never did it, but nearly did. My spanish friend had a baby girl two days
after my baby girl and they were both still nursing when we went to Spain
for a holiday when the girls were 10 months. Friend had to work so her
younger sister took her baby Pati to the beach with us. I fed Kiera, and
Pati, with big brown sad spanish eyes, stared up at me as if to say 'why
can't I have some'? If I'd known it was ok with her Mom I would have fed her
there and then. Bless her little face.

Nikki

Old November 11th 03, 10:33 AM
Anne Rogers

I'd have bough milk if I had seen a convienient source when we needed to
supplement, though I would have wanted references!

my friend has a baby 2 weeks younger, we've often joked that we would do
it if necessary, it's nearly happened both ways round. If I ever find I
have excess from pumping, I will pass it to her as she would use it to mix
with baby food. So far I struggle to keep up with my own babies needs so
that is not likely to happen.

Old November 11th 03, 09:35 PM
Leslie

My sister fed William for me when he was a newborn and I was readmitted to the
hospital and given tests that caused me to have to pump and dump for 24 hours.

I nursed her baby once, just to see if she would let me if there ever was a
need.

Leslie
Old November 18th 03, 01:50 AM
Larry McMahan

JoAnna writes:
: article link:
: http://www.local6.com/family/2623717/detail.html

: the poll asks this:
: If you or your partner were unable to breast-feed
: your infant, would you serve the baby another woman's
: breast milk?

: just wondering what your answers are.

: here's a summary of the article - a young woman tryed selling her milk
: through a classified ad but gave up after too many prank calls. a buck an
: ounce.

: who'd be buying? moms for babies or fetishists?

: i hate pumping (so i don't!) i'd have charged way more!!

There are other problems with this. Several years ago a regular poster
on this list tried to set up a co-op of nursing mothers who could
"swap" milk or provide milk to mothers who could not nurse. She was
contacted by an FDA lawyer who asked her to desist, as human milk is
considered a bodily fluid and can only be "distributed" under strict
guidelines. (ask the human milk banking organizations what hoops they
have to jump through) Just food for thought.

Larry

Anjelina Belakovskaia forced to drop out of US Woman's Chess Championship because of problems with her breast milk Sam Sloan General 1 June 24th 04 11:10 PM
Expressing breast milk Sandy Pregnancy 9 January 17th 04 03:28 AM
Baby won't accept breast milk bottle after attempting formula - help! dejablues General 9 December 24th 03 10:12 AM
Storing Breast Milk Kathy Breastfeeding 2 October 1st 03 09:18 PM
Study finds flame-retardant chemical in U.S. breast milk Maxie P. Diddly Pregnancy 0 September 24th 03 12:38 AM