mom and baby (10 mos) both on Zithromax, any chance to breastfeed?

Old December 16th 03, 06:02 PM
C Du

Default mom and baby (10 mos) both on Zithromax, any chance to breastfeed?

Hi,

Both my wife and baby (10-month old) are on antibiotics (Zithromax,
azithromycin). Mom is on 5 day Zpak with 250mg per day (except first day,
which doubles). Josh is on oral suspention which is 100mg per day, except
first day (double).

The doctor who prescribed the Zithromax for my wife (after baby), learned
the fact that Josh will be on it as well, and suggested not to breastfeed
during the period and just pump and dump.

We wonder if there's a way to breastfeed, say by reducing the amount of
antibiotics the baby takes, if we know the amount of drugs with come through
the breast (say 10 oz of breastmilk). It has to be a studied subject.
Anybody happen to know the answer?

Also, wife's doctor suggested not to breastfeed for 10 days (full course of
drug, which suppose to last 5 days after 5-day medication). Is this true?

Thanks so much.

Will (and Cathy)

PS Josh is on Zithromax because he is couging and earlier treatment with
amox resulted in rashes all over. Now rash is gone and the doctor put him on
another antibiotics. He's been couging over a month already and the ped
still hesitate to give him antibiotics. I just read an anticle citing 2
weeks couging is the limit... maybe time to change ped?

Wife is on antibiotics due to bad throat and burning sensation all over the
body/bone, as if on high fever (but she doens't). It might be the flu bug
but doctor still put her on Zithromax. Yes she's drinking LOTS water. We
live in St. Pete, FL.

Old December 16th 03, 06:05 PM
Denise

"C Du" wrote in message
news
[...]

Zithromax is fine for breastfeeding.
http://www.mothering.com/12-0-0/html...ications.shtml

You'll want to watch the baby for tummy problems, and maybe diarrhea. I'd
also recommend some acidophilus to prevent any yeast infections.

Old December 16th 03, 06:13 PM
Denise

"Denise" wrote in message

"C Du" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry to follow up on my own post, but here's a better reference, describing
exactly your situation answered by Dr. Hale.
http://neonatal.ama.ttuhsc.edu/discu...tml?1057336483

Old December 17th 03, 12:53 AM
Circe

"C Du" wrote in message
news
Both my wife and baby (10-month old) are on antibiotics (Zithromax,
azithromycin). Mom is on 5 day Zpak with 250mg per day (except first day,
which doubles). Josh is on oral suspention which is 100mg per day, except
first day (double).

The doctor who prescribed the Zithromax for my wife (after baby), learned
the fact that Josh will be on it as well, and suggested not to breastfeed
during the period and just pump and dump.

snip

Also, wife's doctor suggested not to breastfeed for 10 days (full course

of
drug, which suppose to last 5 days after 5-day medication). Is this true?

The doctor is a moron. Zithromax is perfectly safe for use in pediatric
patients and therefore equally safe for a mother to take while continuing to
breastfeed. The amount of antiobiotic that could "leak through" into the
milk is minuscule compared to the normal therapeutic dosage, so the idea
that the baby could somehow "overdose" as a result of ingesting that amount
through breastmilk is absurd.

NEVER take advice on the safety of breastfeeding while taking a medication
from the prescribing physician; they rarely know their elbows from a hole in
the ground on this subject. Instead, refer to your pediatrician and/or to
Dr. Thomas Hale's excellent book, _Medications and Mother's Milk_.
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [a quarter to 2] mom)

"Custom fabracation" -- Auto body shop sign

Daddy: You're up with the chickens this morning.
Aurora: No, I'm up with my dolls!

Old December 17th 03, 12:58 AM
C Du

Thanks very much Denise!

According to the article, it is virtually safe to take any antibiotics and
breastfeed babies. A great well of information!

Thanks again.

Will

Old December 17th 03, 01:33 AM
Ericka Kammerer

C Du wrote:

PS Josh is on Zithromax because he is couging and earlier treatment with
amox resulted in rashes all over. Now rash is gone and the doctor put him on
another antibiotics. He's been couging over a month already and the ped
still hesitate to give him antibiotics. I just read an anticle citing 2
weeks couging is the limit... maybe time to change ped?

Might well be. Is he being treated with anything else
besides the antibiotic (which obviously won't work on anything
viral)? Are his lungs clear?

(Sorry, don't know about the breastfeeding question,
though if you don't get a good answer you might check on
m.k.breastfeeding. I would be really surprised if she
truly needed to pump and dump for ten days, but I'm no
authority.)

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old December 17th 03, 02:18 AM
C Du

Another related question: will the sick mother transfer virus (flu virus)
from breast milk to infant? I checked aap.org but only found that HIV can be
transmitted via breast milk. I guess that implies to other viruses?

On the other hand, aap.org website (American Academy of Ped) got
articles/drug lists related to safety of drug usage by bf mother, while they
did not mention anything about the illness mother carrying and potential to
transmitte to the child. Does that imply it doesn't matter? (in other words,
viruses will not be able to transfer from breastmilk to infants?)

Thanks.

Will

Old December 17th 03, 03:19 AM
Denise

"C Du" wrote in message
m...
Another related question: will the sick mother transfer virus (flu virus)
from breast milk to infant? I checked aap.org but only found that HIV can

be
transmitted via breast milk. I guess that implies to other viruses?

On the other hand, aap.org website (American Academy of Ped) got
articles/drug lists related to safety of drug usage by bf mother, while

they
did not mention anything about the illness mother carrying and potential

transmitte to the child. Does that imply it doesn't matter? (in other

words,
viruses will not be able to transfer from breastmilk to infants?)

Thanks.

Antibodies are transferred via breastmilk. In most cases, you're contagious
before you start having symptoms. So your child has already been exposed to
your wife's bug. Unless your wife is drooling all over baby, the chances of
the baby getting sick aren't any higher with breastmilk than normal
exposure.

Old December 17th 03, 05:02 AM
CBI

"C Du" wrote in message
news

PS Josh is on Zithromax because he is couging and earlier treatment with
amox resulted in rashes all over. Now rash is gone and the doctor put him

on
another antibiotics. He's been couging over a month already and the ped
still hesitate to give him antibiotics. I just read an anticle citing 2
weeks couging is the limit... maybe time to change ped?

Maybe time to change sources of information.

There are many things that can cause a cough and a good number of them,
including viral infections, last over two weeks.

--
CBI, MD

Old December 17th 03, 07:11 AM
iphigenia

C Du wrote:
Another related question: will the sick mother transfer virus (flu
virus) from breast milk to infant? I checked aap.org but only found
that HIV can be transmitted via breast milk. I guess that implies to
other viruses?

Kellymom.com is a wonderful resource for breastfeeding mothers.

http://www.kellymom.com/meds/mom-illness.html:
"When you have a contagious illness such as a cold, flu, or other mild
virus, your baby was exposed to the illness before you even knew you were
sick. Your milk will not transmit your illness to baby, but it does have
antibodies in it that are specific to your illness (plus anything else you
or baby have been exposed to) - they'll help prevent baby from getting sick,
or if he does get sick, he'll probably not be as sick as you. "

and

"Per Dr. Ruth Lawrence, "HIV and HTLV-1 are the only infectious diseases
that are considered absolute contraindications to breastfeeding in developed
countries" (Lawrence & Lawrence 2001). "

--
tristyn
www.tristyn.net