Baby care items- wipes, diapers, wash questions etc!

Old January 23rd 04, 03:30 PM
Irene

Default Baby care items- wipes, diapers, wash questions etc!

"Jill" wrote in message om...
I am trying to get a list together of items I want to have on hand as
starters and items that are well-liked to try. I know it;s different for all
but I do hear a lot of the same opinions about good products etc. The same
brands keep coming up in praise etc....I would like any suggestion or rec's.
I am going to ask about formla so those who is can tell me what works well
for their baby so I will know, I hope to end up breastfeeding though....I
know I won't use cloth diapers I will need disposables...

1. Best Baby wash?

I mostly actually just use water, unless he's really dirty. I have
some Johnson & Johnson stuff, but rarely use it. I did end up getting
the no-tangle kind of Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo after I found his
hair got tangled a bit with the regular kind, but I haven't done a lot
of experimentation to say that it's the *best*. I also use the
Johnson & Johnson lavender-scented bath stuff (pour it in the bathtub)
which gets a little bit of scent and bubbles.

Remember, too, newborns don't need to get bathed every day - if you do
it too often, it dries out their skin.

2. Best baby wipes? (no desire to make my own, need brand recs)

I like Huggies, the uscented kind. Also, look for the little travel
packs to stick in a diaper bag. Sometimes you need to look in the
travel section for those (where they have the little sample sizes),
and not in the regular wipes area.

3. best disposable diapers?

I also like Huggies, but that's a very personal choice. Don't stock
up on too many until you find out which ones you like.

4. Good formula brand and type?

No idea.

5. Best diaper rash cream?

I've had good luck with A & D, but ds isn't terribly prone to diaper
rash, so probably anything would work with him. (He's 2.5 and I'm on
the original tube!)

6. Best bottles, brand and type?

The one your baby likes! I was given a ton of Avent bottles, and
after a bit of experimentation, ended up with the Playtex nurser
system. I had one of those babies who prefer it straight from the
tap...

7. Best baby lotion?

Never used it.

8. Is there anything you MUST have, or NEVER use (baby powder, baby oil,
etc?

Well, you have to be careful with baby powder, since it's an
inhalation risk. DS has/had good skin, so I never bothered with
anything.

9. Other good babycare products to have?

I'm sure you know you need things like a baby thermometer. The anal
ones are the most accurate, and if you use those, you'll want
vaseline. If that squicks you out too much, you can get the other
kinds, but know that they aren't nearly as accurate. If you get a
digital one, it doesn't take nearly as long - very important with a
squirmy baby!

10. WHat should I have on hand for when I bring the baby home, and what do I
need to have in a diaper bag before leaving the house?

When you bring the baby home, you need diapers & wipes, and breasts -
just about everything else is optional!

For a diaper bag with a newborn, I always had diapers, wipes, and a
changing pad. If your baby is prone to rash, I'd keep ointment.
Waterless handcleaner is a nice "just in case" but I rarely needed it.
I usually had a bottle of water for me, a change of clothes for ds
(he had lots of blowouts), and burp rags. Other things were more
weather-dependent - blankets, sunscreen (after 6 months), etc.

HTH,

Irene
mom to Thomas 7/01
#2 EDD 4/04
Old January 23rd 04, 03:31 PM
Kat

"Jill" wrote in message
m...
1. Best Baby wash?

We personally really like the Johnson and Johnson Bedtime soap and the Head
to Toes soap of theirs too.

2. Best baby wipes? (no desire to make my own, need brand recs)

I really like the Pampers' Sensitive Touch wipes, they are alot softer and
seem to work better on my DD sensitive bottom. Also a lot less painful when
they have diaper rash.

3. best disposable diapers?

I found that Pampers' Baby Dry diapers to work the best. We are going to
use the Swaddlers for DS when he is born.

4. Good formula brand and type?

Never used.

5. Best diaper rash cream?

Desitin plus a talc and zinc oxide powder made into a paste. Eliminates
the diaper rash with one coat most of the time.

6. Best bottles, brand and type?

Never used but my BF uses AVENT on occassion and seems to be ok with them.

7. Best baby lotion?

I like the Johnson and Johnson Bedtime lotion.

8. Is there anything you MUST have, or NEVER use (baby powder, baby oil,
etc?

I would have gas drops on hand just in case. They were a life saver with my
DD the first few months. Also Tylenol for Infants. I would 100% avoid
pacifiers if you are going to breastfeed, at least until breastfeeding is
established (just plan on nursing taking alot of time and effort the first
few weeks or so, the breast is the baby's pacifier:-)).

9. Other good babycare products to have?

Gerber or the like hooded baby towels. A cold baby after the bath is not a
happy one:-) Their washcloths are good as well, but then you can just use
normal ones too.
Get the cheap Gerber onesies to layer under everything, they can sometimes
minimize poo escapes.
I love Landsend diaper bags. I just got my backpack one and it's awesome!
Also try the Maya Wrap Sling!

10. WHat should I have on hand for when I bring the baby home, and what do

need to have in a diaper bag before leaving the house?

This is what I have in mine:
Desitin
3-5 diapers
container of wipes (they have some portable containers that
are handy)
2 changes of clothes (including 2-3 onesies)
a changing pad (if your diaper bag doesn't have one)
a dirty diaper holder bag thing (if your diaper bag doesn't
have one)
sometimes I pack an extra shirt for myself in case of
accidents.
Sling.
Purse stuff (wallet etc, easier than trying to carry a purse too)

Kat
Mama to Maggie 11/03/01
and #2 EDD 02/01/04

Old January 23rd 04, 03:53 PM
Robin T.

Jill wrote:
I am trying to get a list together of items I want to have on hand as
starters and items that are well-liked to try.

1. Best Baby wash?

We got a huge bottle of Johnson's and Johnsons at my shower. Still using
it, 3 years later...

2. Best baby wipes? (no desire to make my own, need brand recs)

Huggies Naturals

3. best disposable diapers?

White Cloud (unfortunately only available at Wal-Mart) worked best for my
DD.

4. Good formula brand and type?

Not a clue.

5. Best diaper rash cream?

Again, we just used what we were given at the shower. We didn't use it all
the time, only when needed, so that one tube lasted a long time.

6. Best bottles, brand and type?

Umm, Avent, I think, is what we used for EBM.

7. Best baby lotion?

Didn't use.

8. Is there anything you MUST have, or NEVER use (baby powder, baby
oil, etc?

Didn't use baby powder, or oil. It might be good to have a bottle of either
gas drops and/or baby tylenol-type stuff. For me, those were
middle-of-the-night needs when I didn't want to go to a store. Again, we
got the gas drops at our shower and never had to buy another bottle.

9. Other good babycare products to have?

Cloth diapers are great for all kinds of random things beyond actual
diapering.

10. WHat should I have on hand for when I bring the baby home, and
what do I need to have in a diaper bag before leaving the house?

One thing I'm gonna warn you about coming home: be aware that somewhere
around day 4 or so, your hormones may crash. That's the day I threw
everyone out of the house (my parents, my husband, even the baby!), sat down
on the couch, and cried for an hour. Just know that it's normal.

Diaper bag: diapers, wipes (either put a handful in a plastic bag, or buy
one of those nifty "travel wipes" boxes), a blanket, a cloth diaper to put
under the baby for changes (helps catch leaks), at least one change of
outfit, a plastic bag to put dirties in, one small toy, and a bottle of
water for you.

Robin T.
#1, 12/25/00
#2, edd 09/29/04

Old January 23rd 04, 04:07 PM
Circe

Jill wrote:
1. Best Baby wash?

Any store brand is fine. I usually get the Target store brand.

2. Best baby wipes? (no desire to make my own, need brand recs)

Again, Target store brand (alcohol and scent-free) work fine for me.

3. best disposable diapers?

Target's Baby Favorites are the least expensive and have fit my babies well.
The same diapers are sold in other stores under different names, though.

4. Good formula brand and type?

No clue.

5. Best diaper rash cream?

I rarely needed it, but I like Desitin.

6. Best bottles, brand and type?

We used Johnson's HealthFlow bottles to give my kids their expressed
breastmilk. My kids never liked the Avent bottles.

7. Best baby lotion?

Never used any.

8. Is there anything you MUST have, or NEVER use (baby powder, baby
oil, etc?)

Never used baby powder or baby oil, that's for sure.

9. Other good babycare products to have?

I like having cloth diapers on hand for use as burp rags and, for boy babies
anyway, pee protectors during diaper changes.

10. WHat should I have on hand for when I bring the baby home, and
what do I need to have in a diaper bag before leaving the house?

Like many others, I'm a minimalist. Diapers, wipes, a change of clothes, a
blanket and a burp rag were all I bothered with when babies were small. As
they got older, I lost the blanket, burp rag, and change of clothes in that
order.
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [22 mos.] mom)

"Call anywhere, any time...virtually from any phone" -- prepaid phone card
dispenser

Daddy: You're up with the chickens this morning.
Aurora: No, I'm up with my dolls!

Old January 23rd 04, 04:17 PM
Sue

Jill wrote in message
1. Best Baby wash?

I liked Johnson and Johnson's baby wash.

2. Best baby wipes? (no desire to make my own, need brand recs)

I preferred Huggies baby wipes. Others were too liquidy and I didn't care
for the texture of the other baby wipes.

3. best disposable diapers?

I preferred Luvs to any brand out there.

4. Good formula brand and type

I used Enafmil. But, don't think about formula and tell yourself that you
WILL breastfeed and commit yourself to it and educate yourself, then you
won't have to shell out the money for formula.

5. Best diaper rash cream?

Diprolene. It comes in packets that you use until that packet is gone.

6. Best bottles, brand and type?

I used the Gerber plastic ones. However, everyone who is breasfeeding seems
to like Avent bottles better.

7. Best baby lotion?

I just used the brand that I used. Vaseline Intensive Care.

8. Is there anything you MUST have, or NEVER use (baby powder, baby oil,

etc?

You don't *need* baby oil, but it is good to use on the hair if the baby
develops cradle cap. Never use baby powder on the baby. It can get into the
lungs and cause major problems.

9. Other good babycare products to have?

Baby nail clippers, thermometer (digital one is just fine for under the
arm), back when my kids were babies (the last one is 7 years old), we used
alcohol to wipe around the stump of the cord. There have been
recommendations to not use that anymore. Just washing around it with water
seems to be the preferred method. So, I guess just see what your
pediatrician recommends.

10. WHat should I have on hand for when I bring the baby home, and what do

I need to have in a diaper bag before leaving the house?

Car seat, diapers, sleepers, onsies, socks, somplace to sleep, I liked
bouncy seat for somplace to put baby and food.

In the diaper bag: Diapers, wipes, burp cloth, extra set of clothes, bag for
dirty diapers (if there is no place to throw it away).

Remember, everyone is different in the products that they like. These are
just products that I used and loved. It will also depend if your baby has
sensitive skin to whether some of these products will irritate baby's skin.
Also, you don't need to use any special kind of detergent on baby's clothes,
unless the child has sensitive skin towards what you are already using. You
also don't need to wash baby's clothes separately. Don't create more work
for yourself. Good luck
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old January 23rd 04, 04:22 PM
Carol Ann

:: I am trying to get a list together of items I want to have on hand as
:: starters and items that are well-liked to try. I know it;s different for
all
:: but I do hear a lot of the same opinions about good products etc. The
same
:: brands keep coming up in praise etc....I would like any suggestion or
rec's.
:: I am going to ask about formla so those who is can tell me what works
well
:: for their baby so I will know, I hope to end up breastfeeding though....I
:: know I won't use cloth diapers I will need disposables...

Great idea! By the way, I was told to get the cloth diapers, too. They
make great spit up towels and you can use them to clean later on.

I'm going to give you the answers I was given:

:: 1. Best Baby wash?

Something with Lavender. Apparently it soothes and calms the baby.

:: 2. Best baby wipes? (no desire to make my own, need brand recs)

I was told to use the Pampers Pop Ups because they go into the Ultimate
Wipes Warmer. Also recommended, Sam's Fragrance Free.

:: 3. best disposable diapers?

For girls I was told Huggies Supreme. For boys I was told Pampers and Sam's
Club.

:: 4. Good formula brand and type?

Not sure.

:: 5. Best diaper rash cream?

Balmex because it wasn't as greasy.

:: 6. Best bottles, brand and type?

Avent.

:: 7. Best baby lotion?

Huh? Johnson's?

:: 8. Is there anything you MUST have, or NEVER use (baby powder, baby oil,
:: etc?

No answer.

:: 9. Other good babycare products to have?

No answer.

:: 10. WHat should I have on hand for when I bring the baby home, and what
do I
:: need to have in a diaper bag before leaving the house?

http://www.verybestbaby.com/content/...20161020060100

Hope that helps!

~Carol Ann

Old January 23rd 04, 05:00 PM
~*~ Jess ~*~

"Jill" wrote in message
m...
I am trying to get a list together of items I want to have on hand as
starters and items that are well-liked to try. I know it;s different for

all
but I do hear a lot of the same opinions about good products etc. The same
brands keep coming up in praise etc....I would like any suggestion or

rec's.
I am going to ask about formla so those who is can tell me what works well
for their baby so I will know, I hope to end up breastfeeding though....I
know I won't use cloth diapers I will need disposables...

1. Best Baby wash?

*I think it's the Gerber with lavendar.

2. Best baby wipes? (no desire to make my own, need brand recs)

*We only use the sensitive care wipes from Pampers - I buy a case for $12.99
from Babies R Us.

3. best disposable diapers?

*With DS it was Luvs but only the now gone plastic cover ones. With DD it's
been Pampers first swaddlers and now the custom cruisers - we haven't had
any problems with leaks and they fit her bum well - she's a tall and skinny
girl. I've tried Targets, Walgreens, Safeway, and ToysRUs store brands and
hated them all. Huggies didn't work on my two either, DD broke out in the
most horrid rash every where it touched her bum.

4. Good formula brand and type?

*We used Enfamil mostly - they have larger containers at Costco so it wasn't
too expensive. I breastfed my first for 2 years, but with DD health problems
on my part caused my milk supply to drop - I have way more knowledge of
formula then I ever wanted.

5. Best diaper rash cream?

* We use the Burt's Bees - it smells great and gets rid of any irritation
really quick.

6. Best bottles, brand and type?

* I don't like the Avent ones so much, and I wasn't too thrilled with the
Playtex ones. We ended up using the Gerber New Traditions.

7. Best baby lotion?

* J&J bedtime lavendar lotion.

8. Is there anything you MUST have, or NEVER use (baby powder, baby oil,
etc?

* I've never used powder or baby oil. I also didn't use alcohol on the cord
stumps on either of my kids.

9. Other good babycare products to have?

* lots of burp rags and changing pads that wipe down for a quick clean - my
DD was the queen of explosive diapers and it always happened when we were on
a road trip - last trip she blew out of every outfit we had for her by day 3
of the trip and we had 2 days to go.

10. WHat should I have on hand for when I bring the baby home, and what do

need to have in a diaper bag before leaving the house?

* lots of diapers and wipes, and when you leave, take more clothes then you
think you'll need! I usually leave an outfit or two in the car aside from
what's in the bag just to be on the safe side.

~*~ Jess ~*~
mom to:
Lukas (7)
Belle (2)
and "Minnie" edd July 1, 2004

Old January 23rd 04, 05:14 PM
Sophie

Keep in mind, not only will answers vary from mom to mom, but from child to
child belonging to same mom

1. Best Baby wash?

Aveeno.

2. Best baby wipes? (no desire to make my own, need brand recs)

Anything unscented. Why not make your own? Cheap and easy. I did it with
#2.

3. best disposable diapers?

Depends on the baby's shape. For long, thin babies Pampers, for
barrel-bodied, short babies - Luvs.
I agree with Denise about the yellow Walmart ones, gave my kids awful diaper
rash.

4. Good formula brand and type?

Again, depends on baby.
#1 liked Prosobee
#2 liked Carnation Good Start
#3 liked plain old Enfamil

5. Best diaper rash cream?

Balmex

6. Best bottles, brand and type?

Again, depends on baby
#1 liked Playtex with the disposable liners
#2 and #3 liked Avent

7. Best baby lotion?

Aveeno

8. Is there anything you MUST have, or NEVER use (baby powder, baby oil,
etc?

Never used baby oil except for cradle cap.

9. Other good babycare products to have?

GRIPE WATER
The suction thing for when they have a cold.
GRIPE WATER
Nail clippers - biting baby's nails is vile IMO.
GRIPE WATER

10. WHat should I have on hand for when I bring the baby home,

The items mentioned above. I also used alcohol and cotton balls for the
umbilical cord thingy, Vaseline and gauze if you c*rc.

and what do I
need to have in a diaper bag before leaving the house?

Thanks for any info!

Less than you will actually take out I'm sure. With each child I take out
less and less stuff.

1 baby bottle with water it in (if needed)
Several packets of travel powder formula (if needed)
Spare bib
Spare baby outfit
Travel pack of wipes (or a ziploc baggie with wipes)
3 or 4 diapers (newborn ones are tiny, can fit lots in a bag)
As many receiving blankets/cloth diapers/whatever you're using for spit up
as will possibly fit in the bag

That's all IMO.

Old January 23rd 04, 05:18 PM
Sophie

I went with the brand that I'd given my
son so long ago, but it disagreed with her so we had to try a few
before finding one she could tolerate.

Nan

I tried the same brand with #3 that I used with #2 but it disagreed with
him. I don't think you can choose formula beforehand.

Old January 23rd 04, 05:25 PM
Donna

"Jill" wrote in message
m...
1. Best Baby wash?

I like the lavender stuff that Baby Magic makes.

2. Best baby wipes? (no desire to make my own, need brand recs)

Whatever is cheapest and non-scented.

3. best disposable diapers?

That is going to be entirely dependent on your baby, and it will change as
s/he grows. My daughter started out in one brand, but as she got bigger, a
different brand/style started to work better for her. My advice: buy a
couple of different brands of size 1s and see what works best. Some leak,
some don't, and it's very individual.

4. Good formula brand and type?

Anything with DHA/ARA. I alternated between the two major brands (similac,
and some other, which I forget), until I found something called Great
Beginnings, which also has DHA/ARA but is about two thirds the price. I
used that whenever I could find it. I have to say, though, nothing is
cheaper, easier and better for everyone than nursing. The last thing you
want to be doing is mixing bottles at 3:39am.

5. Best diaper rash cream?

Densitin. I like it much better than balmex.

6. Best bottles, brand and type?

I introduced bottles at about six weeks, when I was still nursing, so my
priority was to find a bottle that would minimize nipple confusion. If that
is a concern, you might try the avent bottles. I had great success
switching between avent bottles and breast.

7. Best baby lotion?

I don't use it.

8. Is there anything you MUST have, or NEVER use (baby powder, baby oil,
etc?

Must have: not much, other than sleep. Lots of baby washcloths in the
beginning, because you don't use wipes for a while.

Never use: baby powder. I just started using it now (DD is 14 months old)
because DD is having a recurring rash, but before now, I didn't find any
need for it. Something else I thought I'd need, but didn't, is a wipe
warmer. My daughter doesn't seem to care whether the wipe is cool or warm.
Never used my portable baby bath, either. Sarah went in the sink until she
was big enough for the tub.

9. Other good babycare products to have?

Nothing that I can think of.

10. WHat should I have on hand for when I bring the baby home, and what do

need to have in a diaper bag before leaving the house?

When you bring the baby home, have a couple of onesies, a couple of packages
of newborn and size 1 diapers, lots of baby washcloths and cloth diapers
(newborns are always spitting up), a packet of blankets for swaddling, and a
camera loaded with film. Lansinoh if you are planning to breastfeed.
Bottles and formula if you aren't.

Best wishes!

Donna