Baby care items- wipes, diapers, wash questions etc!

Old January 23rd 04, 05:30 PM
Denise Anderson

Default Baby care items- wipes, diapers, wash questions etc!

"Dagny" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"Denise Anderson" wrote in message

3. best disposable diapers?

Anything but the yellow package from Wal-mart. Every kid is different
though. Baby 1 did fine in all disposable diapers (I'm mainly a cloth
diaper user though.) Kid 3 did best in Luvs.

I LOVE the yellow package from Wal-Mart! What's your complaint? I

haven't
had one yet and we're in size 3.

My mom just brought me 3 packages on her last visit because the WM is not
close to my house. I'm cloth at home during the day and something without
perfume at night and when we're on the road.

I think it might just have to do with DD3's pee or something, but they fall
apart when she wears them. Never had the problem with DD1 or 2, just with
3. She does ok in the White Cloud ones though.

Old January 23rd 04, 05:59 PM
Jody Pellerin

I'm really enjoying reading these as it's giving me some insight before I
have to hit the point and worry about these things... you said "Alcohol for
the cord, and cotton balls or qtips to apply the alcohol" That's rubbing
alcohol, right?
"GoofeeGyrl" wrote in message
1. Best Baby wash?
I love J&J Bedtime Bath, I love the way it smells.

2. Best baby wipes? (no desire to make my own, need brand recs)
Huggies Natural Care

3. best disposable diapers?
DD#1 always had Pampers Premium. DD#2 started with Pampers Newborn but now
is
in Huggies Supreme, I like them just as well.

4. Good formula brand and type?
I personally cannot breastfeed exclusively(IGT) and have used formula from
one
week on. I started with Similac Advance, but now use a generic version of
the
same thing that costs a lot less. I would talk to your ped about it too.

5. Best diaper rash cream?
The yucky, smelly, original A&D is the only thing I have bought after trying
all the zinc oxide creams. DD#1 contantly had rashes and this was the only
thing that ever worked on her.

6. Best bottles, brand and type?
So many people swear by Avent but I could NEVER get them to stop leaking,
even
with every suggestion anybody ever gave. DD#1 used Playtex disposables,
with
the natural silicone nipple. They were a lot easier to use since you were
not
washing as many things, but are not too economical if that is a concern for
you. DD#2 uses Evenflo, I forget the name, they are curved bottles that you
can only find at Babies R Us and Baby Depot. I don't have any major
complaints, but if we were not on such a tight budget, I would be using the
disposables.

7. Best baby lotion?
I bought two bottles of lotion for #1 and both are more than half way full,
almost three years later. Can't help you on that one.

8. Is there anything you MUST have, or NEVER use (baby powder, baby oil,
etc?
I never used powder or oil, never even had any. Must haves? Not really.
is getting away with only the necesities and I feel nothing is missing.

9. Other good babycare products to have?
If you are going to be using formula at some point, one of the powdered
formula
containers is nice, although you can always measure it and put it in a
plastic
bag or container as well.

10. WHat should I have on hand for when I bring the baby home, and what
do I
need to have in a diaper bag before leaving the house?
Alcohol for the cord, and cotton balls or qtips to apply the alcohol. A pad
change baby, or you can just use a towel, that is what I did with #1. Just
have all the usual items in the diaper bag, including extra blanket and
pacifier (if using pacifiers), and a snack or bottle of water for yourself.

Hope some of the is helpful

Linda
Mommy to Sophie, 2.75 years
and Eva, 4 months

Old January 23rd 04, 06:21 PM
Katie

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 06:29:58 GMT, "Jill" asserted:

I am trying to get a list together of items I want to have on hand as
starters and items that are well-liked to try.

snip

1. Best Baby wash?

We use Johnson & Johnson Head-to-Toe (received it as a gift) and it
seems good.

2. Best baby wipes? (no desire to make my own, need brand recs)

Haven't found one particular brand we like a lot yet so I just get
whatever's on sale. Mostly, though, we just use a wet baby washcloth
to clean him up. We just use the wipes when we're away from home. I
like using a cloth because I just wet it down with warm water and then
it's not as cold on DS's bum - which is handy when he's sleepy and I
don't want to wake him up too much to change him.

3. best disposable diapers?

I like Huggies the best because they only have velcro closures.
Pampers has both velcro and adhesive and I found them more awkward to
put on him and didn't like having to fiddle with the adhesive tab if I
just wanted to check his diaper. We also tried the Equate brand from
Wal-Mart but I found it wasn't as absorbant as the Huggies/Pampers.
FWIW DS is 11 weeks old and is in stage 2 (he's almost 15 lbs). We
use cloth diapers (diaper service) mostly but use disposables when
we're out shopping or whatever. I also put DS in a disposable
overnight so that he doesn't wake up as often needing a diaper change
(one disposable usually lasts all nght, from about 8-9pm until 7am.

5. Best diaper rash cream?

Sudocreme!!!! It's from the UK and hard to find here (Canada) but
it's amazing stuff. Works really fast on diaper rash and on cradle
cap. It's about the same price as the other creams. I got my drug
store (Shoppers' Drug Mart) to order me some and it was in the next
day. Apparently Superstore here carries it, too.

6. Best bottles, brand and type?

DS wouldn't touch the bottles/nipples that came with our Avent Isis
pump but he's quite happy with Playtex Nursers. Definitely don't
stock up on a ton of any one kind yet.

7. Best baby lotion?

I don't use much lotion but received some Johnson and Johnson as a
gift and use it once in a while if DS has a bit of dry skin. When he
had a badly flaky scalp I just put some olive oil on it and that
worked really well (midwife's recommendation).

8. Is there anything you MUST have, or NEVER use (baby powder, baby oil,
etc?

I found I HAVE to have a big giant box of disposable breast pads as
well as some good quality washable ones because I leak like crazy.
The disposables I like are Life Brand from Shoppers' Drug Mart and the
reusables I like are made by Bravado.

We also go through a gazillion little baby wash cloths every day (use
them for bathing DS, spit up, stopping breast leaks, cleaning him up
during diaper changes, and on and on). I think I have one in the
pocket of just about every piece of clothing I own I got several
big cheap packages of them at Wal-Mart.

I also use square, flat cloth diapers as spit-up cloths and in bed at
night so I don't leak all over the bed - I sleep on a couple.

OH - I also swear by Ziploc Slide-Lock baggies (in both medium and
large sizes). I use them for everything - storing breast pump parts,
sterilized nipples and soothers, spare diapers when we go out, a
bottle of breast milk, etc. I also keep a couple of spares in the
diaper bag for putting wet/dirty clothes and diapers in, whatever.

I don't use baby powder since I've read it can be dangerous (baby can
inhale it).

9. Other good babycare products to have?

It's not really a babycare product but I couldn't live without my
Avent Isis pump. It took a few tries to get DS to take a bottle but
now he's very happy doing it and it means that I can leave him with DH
or another relative for a couple of hours every once in a while if I
want to go swimming or whatever. It's also great for DH to be able to
bond with DS that way.

and what do I
need to have in a diaper bag before leaving the house?

I use a big purse as my diaper bag. In it, I've got a baggy
(Slide-Lock - see above ) with 3 spare diapers and a baggy of
wipes. Also, a soother, a spare sleeper and bib, a small pack of
Handi-wipes for cleaning my hands up after changes, a receiving
blanket, a couple of baby wash cloths, and a waterproof fleece-covered
pad for changing DS on (got it at Wal-Mart - package of 3 for about
$5). I also usually throw in a small bottle of breast milk, just in
case I'm somewhere that it's not easy to feed him myself or so that DH
can do it. The bag has two compartments so in one I put all of DS's
stuff and in the other I keep my wallet, cell phone, a magazine, etc.

Thanks for any info!

No problem! These kind of threads are always fun. I love seeing what
other people post.

Katie
DS Nov 7/03

Real email: sphyrapicusathotmaildotcom

Old January 23rd 04, 06:26 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Denise Anderson wrote:

Everyone needs a good baby snot sucker. Most hospital gives them to you
though.

Ick! Ick! I know, it's necessary (or potentially necessary, I guess,
depending on the kid), but it still grosses me out! A friend of mine
wanted one as a baby shower gift. She got a few (they're cheap). I
*had* to ask, since I had never seen one before, and, uh... :-(
Honestly, for some bizarre reason, I would rather deal with puke and
diarrhea. I don't know why I'm like this. I guess I'm just weird. ;-)
Ah, I know... I'll get DH to do it.

Old January 23rd 04, 06:26 PM
P. G. Chavez

Jody Pellerin wrote and I snipped:

I'm really enjoying reading these as it's giving me some insight before I
have to hit the point and worry about these things... you said "Alcohol for
the cord, and cotton balls or qtips to apply the alcohol" That's rubbing
alcohol, right?
"GoofeeGyrl" wrote in message
Alcohol for the cord, and cotton balls or qtips to apply the alcohol.

Nope. Our hospital no longer recommends using alcohol on the cord stump
at all. Keep the stump dry (except during bathtime), and you'll be
okay.

-Patty, mom to Corinne (5.75y) and Nathan (3.5y)
and stepmom to Victoria (13.5y)
Old January 23rd 04, 06:30 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Jacqui wrote:

Denise Anderson wibbled

Everyone needs a good baby snot sucker. Most hospital gives them
to you though.

Nah. We've got through six months without one - they're not recommended
in this country and are quite hard to find. You can live without one
quite easily, even during a nasty cold.

Jac

Oh, I'm a bit happy to read this. ;-)

I honestly had never seen one before until about a year ago. I wonder
if they are starting to pick up in popularity, at least in my area, or
something.

I'll probably just hold off on one of those and see what happens.
Hopefully, the kid won't inherit my nose's tendency to run constantly
(man has this been a real problem ever since pg hormones started flowing).

Old January 23rd 04, 06:32 PM
Jill

Everyone needs a good baby snot sucker. Most hospital gives them
to you though.

My mom used that thing on us when we were toddlers to get the boogers out.
EW, I hated that thing!! She was trying to get me not to pick my nose I
guess, I don't remember? But that sucky booger vacuum thing was awful. Ours
was green. Ew.

Old January 23rd 04, 06:33 PM
Jill

"Kari" wrote in message
1. Best Baby wash?

I use Burts Bees baby stuff, their milk bath is awesome! But I like their
shampoo bar too.

This reminds me that I love Burt's Bees Apricot Baby oil (for me!)....

Old January 23rd 04, 06:37 PM
Jill

"Irene" wrote
8. Is there anything you MUST have, or NEVER use (baby powder, baby oil,
etc?

Well, you have to be careful with baby powder, since it's an
inhalation risk. DS has/had good skin, so I never bothered with
anything.

I get stuffed up from baby powder so I plan to do whatever is necessary,
never to use this! I also never thought about diapers being perfumed since I
have never lived with a baby it hasn't been an issue, but I bet I will have
problems with the strongly scented diapers. I also plan not to use baby oil,
yech- mineral oil. If I do need it for cradle cap or whatever I may use
Burts Bees Apricot Baby oil, or if I think it will bother the baby I am only
going to buy a small travel size bottle of baby oil. It grosses me out. So
greasy. Since I have allergies and headaches, I will probably be looking for
baby wipes and other things also that are fragrance free and irritant free.