BTDT parents: best baby book?

Old October 25th 04, 12:30 PM
Rebecca McGraw

I got that wrong, the book is about ethnopediatrics. Not quite the same
thing, when I went back and looked it up. I got about 25 pages into it
last night while DH watched the Cardinals lose some more.

Rebecca McGraw wrote:

a book that DH the Librarian has
been reading, called "Our Babies Ourselves" which he is quite taken with
and is described as a pedioanthropological book.

Old October 25th 04, 10:57 PM
Beach mum

I may cause a storm here but I wouldn't recommend Dr. Sears' book. I truly
believe that his advice is what caused E to be a not-so-good sleeper. We've
loved Happy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child by Dr. Weissbluth and "So That's
What They're For" for breastfeeding. HTH

--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03

"Rebecca McGraw" wrote in message

Open for opinions: The best baby-care book for new parents. Assuming, of
course, that you feel that new parents even need a baby-care book, but I'm
a book person and my husband is a librarian, so we're probably going to
end up with something, in any case.
Anyone have any suggestions? Books you've found helpful, or big fat wastes
of time? We're in the States, in case that makes a difference in what
title(s) you suggest.
TIA!

-Rebecca
5.5 weeks, more or less, to go!

Old October 25th 04, 11:03 PM
Beach mum

wrote in message
m...
"Jenrose" wrote in message
news:1098573836.n4EI3vNdihQtS98Dxjeuzg@teranews. ..
Slings and baby carriers can be a godsend. Babies like to be held. They
like
to be held a lot. It's good for them--babies who are carried more cry
less.
Babies who get a lot of physical contact gain weight well and I think
they
sleep better.

Dear gawd, you mean DS could be an even *worse* sleeper if I hadn't
had him in a sling from the day he left the NICU?? :-)

....and E would scream if you put her in anything even resembling a sling or
a carrier. Of course, E spent much of her first six months screaming, it
just got louder when she wasn't being held in someone's arms.

One other thing, most books aren't so good if your baby is colicky. They
don't talk much about it and don't let you know that it isn't anything
you're doing and there's not much you can do about it. It took us six weeks
to realize that her crying wasn't because her needs weren't being fulfilled
it was just that she cried a lot. (BTW, she's great now.)
--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03

Old October 26th 04, 01:26 AM
Carlye

melbgal1 wrote in message et...

Then again, if your level-headed and instinctive like me, this book
makes a nice easy-to-refence guide.

Well, I -certainly- didn't mean I am not level-headed or
instinctive... But, for instance, this book says to "call your
healthcare provider" in a lot of situations in which it's not
necessary by anyone's measures. It seems to be that level-headed and
instinctive or not, there are better guides out there.

-Carlye
Old October 26th 04, 02:28 AM
Jenrose

"melbgal1" wrote in message
t...
In article , Carlye

I can't suggest a good one, but I can give you one I don't like:
"What to Expect the First Year." Now, I have to confess that in spite
of it being "the Bible," I did NOT care for "What to Expect When
You're Expecting," either. But I find that "the First Year" has lots
of inaccurate information as well as a lot of stuff that would make a
new mom go into a complete panic and/or call her doctor every five
minutes. I haven't found it helpful for anything but hypochondriasis
for either me or my daughter.

Then again, if your level-headed and instinctive like me, this book
makes a nice easy-to-refence guide.

I found it to be insulting, and often wrong.

Jenrose

Old October 26th 04, 02:52 AM
Leslie

I think the best thing to do is have a lot of different books available so you
can consult them all and then follow your own instincts. For breastfeeding I
usually consult Nursing Your Baby by Karen Pryor (the 1970s dition) or just ask
on mkb. For medical things, I have a home medical encyclopedia, Adelle Davis's
Let's Have Healthy Children, the most recent edition of Dr. Spock, and How to
Have a Healthy Child in Spite of Your Doctor. For discipline, I like Dr.
Sears, Between Parent and Child by Haim Ginott, and Kids Are Worth It by
Barbara Colorosa.

Leslie

Emily (2/4/91)
Jake (1/27/94)
Teddy (2/15/95)
William (3/5/01 -- VBA3C, 13 lbs. 5 oz.)
and Lorelei, expected 11/2/04

"Children come trailing clouds of glory from God, which is their home."
~ William Wordsworth

Old October 26th 04, 03:49 AM
Rebecca McGraw

I think I'll see if I can borrow a copy before I spend any money. The
WTE books seems to get folks very opinionated, either one loves them or
hates them it seems.
-Rebecca

melbgal1 wrote:

In article , Carlye

I can't suggest a good one, but I can give you one I don't like:
"What to Expect the First Year." Now, I have to confess that in spite
of it being "the Bible," I did NOT care for "What to Expect When
You're Expecting," either. But I find that "the First Year" has lots
of inaccurate information as well as a lot of stuff that would make a
new mom go into a complete panic and/or call her doctor every five
minutes. I haven't found it helpful for anything but hypochondriasis
for either me or my daughter.

Then again, if your level-headed and instinctive like me, this book
makes a nice easy-to-refence guide.

HTH.

Old October 26th 04, 04:34 AM
Wendy

I love the AAP book mentioned by Carol Ann. I have it and consult it
frequently. Very informative.

Wendy

Old October 26th 04, 06:17 AM
Kelly

I like the book by Dr. Nathanson. I can't remember the name-maybe the
Portable Pediatrician? It is a great reference book and she is pretty
practical-goes over basics and the scary. I like Sears' books, but some
chapters I don't read or reference (just like any book)

Kelly

Old October 26th 04, 06:18 AM
Kelly

I would agree with that! When DS #1 was colicky, I'd go to the bookstore
and look up colic in the index desparate for information. There would maybe
be one paragraph per book on it.

Kelly