High chair opinions, and update

Old November 7th 04, 01:52 AM
Jill

Default High chair opinions, and update

Rachel is now 6 months old. We have the Fisher Price Healthy Care Booster
but have just bought (but not opened yet!) the Fisher Price Healthy Care
High chair because we wanted something that adjusts more, reclines, and plus
we need our extra kitchen chair for adults when we have company. I wanted to
be able to put her in her own separate high chair and pull her up to the
table with us.

Haven't opened it yet but in general Fisher Price seems to make some good
stuff. I did note that it has a vinyl seat not a cloth one, for easier
cleaning. It also seems to be very adjustable.

Any opinions on what high chairs are good, and has anyone tried and
loved/hated the Fisher Price Healthy Care High Chair?

Extra info, Rachel is still not on a gob of solids yet. After 4 months of
age I let her try rice cereal and she didn't seem ready. At 5 months I went
back again and was mixing her cereal, but this time Gerber Oatmeal with
bananas, with a little expressed breast milk. Oatmeal seemed to be too
"heavy" for her (she'd eat it fine but 12 hours later spit up curdled
oatmealy looking stuff). And for the past few weeks she has really only
been nursing exclusively, she watches intensely when we eat, but just seems
to only want to nurse. Anything I try to give her, she eats- she has lost
most of her tongue-thrust reflex so she eats off a spoon fine. She never did
take a bottle. I was drinking a fastfood drink with a straw, and she reached
out before I could stop her and snatched the cup out of my hand and put the
straw to her lips! She didn't know what to do once it was there, but that
led me to try her on a sippy cup of breastmilk. She hates the Sippy cups
with the valves, the no-spill kind that require some sucking, but if you sit
there and tip the cup toward her and help her, she drinks FINE out of a cup
with a lid and spout. She'll spill it of course if you let her have it
without help.....but I think this is a riot- she wouldn't take bottles or
pacifiers, never did, and hates sippy cups with valves (I tried the Avent
Magic Cup, and Playtex First Sipster). But she'll sip from a cup with a lid
and a spout, and she will even sip from a regular cup **if you hold it for
her, and do the "pouring"**. LOL!

But anyway she is 6 months old on Tuesday November 9-- and I figure, it is
time to start giving her daily cereal and 1st stage foods and wean her up on
them. She really isn't showing any signs of hunger (and, BTW, has not cut
her first tooth yet)....she just loves to nurse, nurse, nurse. But I am not
willing to go more than another week or two without getting her on regular
cereal...we made it the whole 6 months pretty much nursing exclusively, not
even much pumped milk for the most part. But I feel she needs to get in some
daily foods- she eats fine off a spoon. Actually she grabs the spoon and
tries to feed herself! Sometimes she uses the wrong end, and dumps the
cereal into her lap, and gums the handle of the spoon! lol.

But anyway, she seems to have gained quite a bit of weight, her appointment
this week will let me know. She is right where she should be on head control
etc so I don;t think we will have anything to worry about developmentally.
She rolls over all the time, and can almost crawl but not yet. We have
bought a bed rail! (We are still cosleeping.)

I never thought 1- I'd still be breastfeeding exclusively at 6 months, with
no pacifiers, no bottles.... 2- that I ever would have coslept, much less
every single night for 6 months with no plans to stop and 3-that I would
actually plan, and it would be possible and goig well, to breastfeed her to
her one year birthday- we'll see about this one!

She has not been the least bit sick yet. But one factor could be that I am
very careful about handwashing, and having her out around people who are
coughing etc and it helps a lot that she isn't really around kids yet.

So anyway, high chair opinions?
Jill

Old November 7th 04, 03:06 AM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Jill wrote:

Rachel is now 6 months old. We have the Fisher Price Healthy Care Booster

Wowee, 6 months! Welcome back Jill, and thanks for the Rachel update.
She sure sounds like she's coming along beautifully.

So anyway, high chair opinions?

Heh, *so* not on my mind yet. ;-)
Old November 7th 04, 03:10 AM
ModernMiko

"Jill" wrote in message
om...
Rachel is now 6 months old. We have the Fisher Price Healthy Care Booster
but have just bought (but not opened yet!) the Fisher Price Healthy Care
High chair because we wanted something that adjusts more, reclines, and
plus
we need our extra kitchen chair for adults when we have company. I wanted
be able to put her in her own separate high chair and pull her up to the
table with us.

Haven't opened it yet but in general Fisher Price seems to make some good
stuff. I did note that it has a vinyl seat not a cloth one, for easier
cleaning. It also seems to be very adjustable.

Any opinions on what high chairs are good, and has anyone tried and
loved/hated the Fisher Price Healthy Care High Chair?

*snip*

So anyway, high chair opinions?
Jill

Jill!!! Welcome back! I can't help you with high chair recs (we bought and
used a Babee Tenda table - expensive but we loved it). But I wanted you to
know I missed you and the updates about Rachel :-)

--
JennL
DS 06/26/98

aka CatnipSlayer @ livin-it-up.net
--
Leader of the Cult of Worshippers of BiPolar Long-Haired Sexy Anime Guys
with Swords

Old November 7th 04, 03:12 AM
Maggie

Jill spake thusly
So anyway, high chair opinions?

The one recommended by our Consumer organisation is the Steelcraft
Matisse... not sure if you have this make/model in the US. We've
decided to go with the Svan highchair - it has a tray and can be also
used up at the dining table, plus converts to a toddler/child chair
later on. It's not the cheapest, so it better be good!!

DS turned 6 months last week, and we've just started him on rice cereal
this weekend! He's not very keen on it so far, but I think some of it
made it down. Another couple of days on that, and we'll try pumpkin.
Fun and games
--
Maggie
Old November 7th 04, 03:22 AM
A&G&K&H

"Maggie" wrote in message
Jill spake thusly
So anyway, high chair opinions?

The one recommended by our Consumer organisation is the Steelcraft
Matisse... not sure if you have this make/model in the US. We've
decided to go with the Svan highchair - it has a tray and can be also
used up at the dining table, plus converts to a toddler/child chair
later on. It's not the cheapest, so it better be good!!

DS turned 6 months last week, and we've just started him on rice cereal
this weekend! He's not very keen on it so far, but I think some of it
made it down. Another couple of days on that, and we'll try pumpkin.
Fun and games
--
Maggie

The highchair we got is the Steelcraft one (essentially a Matisse but I
think Steelcraft call them slightly different names depending on whether the
sell through certain stores - Like K-mart and BigW).
I can recommend it - its fantastic and really easy to clean.
....and Jill - so glad to read an update on you and your dear little girl
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Old November 7th 04, 04:00 AM
Plissken

"Jill" wrote in message
om...
Rachel is now 6 months old. We have the Fisher Price Healthy Care Booster
but have just bought (but not opened yet!) the Fisher Price Healthy Care
High chair because we wanted something that adjusts more, reclines, and

plus
we need our extra kitchen chair for adults when we have company. I wanted

be able to put her in her own separate high chair and pull her up to the
table with us.

So anyway, high chair opinions?
Jill

I have the Healthy Care high chair and honestly I wish I had bought
something a little simpler. We rarely adjust it at all and I find the
padding to be a PITA. It is too "frilly" and food gets in everywhere and it
gets under the padding into the grooves and I can't seem to ever get it out.
In retrospect I would have bought something more like this...

http://tinyurl.com/57eck

Old November 7th 04, 04:01 AM
Angela S.

We bought this chair and I really like it. Putting it together isn't
too bad. The diswashable tray is handy and best of all the seat has
vinyl padding. I couldn't imagine what the seat would look like as DS
seems to want to wipe his mouth on the padding. Otherwise it's holding
up well. We're very happy with it.

Old November 7th 04, 06:38 AM
Jamie Clark

Jill,
No high chair opinions, at least on the Fisher Price. I have the Chicco
Mamma and like it a lot, although Taylor has decided that she'd rather sit
in a chair or on the bench, and skip the high chair all together now. Oh
well, I can use it for Addie.

Regarding the sippy cups with valves -- you say Rachel "hates" them. Is it
really as strong as that, or just that she doesn't know what to do with
them? Could she maybe dislike them, instead of hate them? It might sound
silly, but to use such a strong word like hate, well, it might prevent you
from trying them again at a later date.

We gave Taylor sippy cups around this time, and took the valve out. We just
let her play with them, filled with water, and didn't worry if she got wet.
Of course it was June, so it was a little warmer out. But, she didn't know
what to do with them at first, and only eventually, after playing with them
for some time, figured out that she could get water out of them. After a
while, we put the valves back in. She was puzzled, but tried sucking, and
got water out that way.

You said the same thing about pacifiers and rice cereal, if I remember
correctly -- about Rachel "hating" them. I'm not sure why I'm stuck on
this -- Addie is going through a phase where she won't take a pacifier
often -- most of the time she'll push it back out of her mouth -- and if I
hold it there for a few seconds, she'll start to gag. She doesn't go into a
full screaming fit though, just looks at me puzzled like "hey, I was trying
to get that OUT of my mouth!" She doesn't seem to like it much -- I'd say
she isn't thrilled, but I don't think *I* would use the word hate. That's
just me. I just think it's curious...

Anyway, congrats on the breastfeeding for 6 months! So far, so good.
Awesome job.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

Old November 7th 04, 08:24 AM
Cam & Shane

Hi Jill!!!!

Have no idea about highchairs but "Hi" - I missed your posts.

Congrats on breastfeeding Rachel for so long!!

See ya
Cam and Aiden (also 6 mths)

Old November 7th 04, 09:31 AM
Mum of Two

Nice to see you back! :-)
I don't know anything about highchairs, but I'm glad Rachel is doing well.

--
Amy,
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

om...