High chair opinions, and update

Old November 7th 04, 04:13 PM
Welches

"Jill" wrote in message
om...
Rachel is now 6 months old. We have the Fisher Price Healthy Care Booster
but have just bought (but not opened yet!) the Fisher Price Healthy Care
High chair because we wanted something that adjusts more, reclines, and
plus
we need our extra kitchen chair for adults when we have company. I wanted
be able to put her in her own separate high chair and pull her up to the
table with us.

Good to see you back again.
I never thought 1- I'd still be breastfeeding exclusively at 6 months,
with
no pacifiers, no bottles.... 2- that I ever would have coslept, much less
every single night for 6 months with no plans to stop and 3-that I would
actually plan, and it would be possible and goig well, to breastfeed her
her one year birthday- we'll see about this one!

It's a good landmark isn't it?
I couldn't get #2 to take solids until she was about 7+ months. Tried her a
couple of times and she'd spit all back out again then shake her head while
refusing to open her mouth. Then a t about 7.5months we were eating pizza
and she leant over and look a crust.. and promptly ate it. Since then she's
got better but she will take finger food or complete slop, nothing in
between.

She has not been the least bit sick yet. But one factor could be that I am
very careful about handwashing, and having her out around people who are
coughing etc and it helps a lot that she isn't really around kids yet.

It's probably the keeping away from kids really. #2's had so much more
sickness (including chickenpox) Just a warning though. #1 wasn't ill at all
until she was 14 months then she had a month of one thing after another
(mostly heavy colds with earache sort of thing) which I was told was fairly
typical.

So anyway, high chair opinions?

Both have mine have loved to be up at the table. Even better when they'll
take finger food and be able to feed themselves a bit. I didn't find the
booster best when they were small and it has the big disadvantage with #2
that it doesn't have a 5 point harness so she climbs out. #1 never tried
that.
Debbie

Old November 7th 04, 05:16 PM
Nikki

Jill wrote:

She hates the Sippy cups with the valves, the no-spill
kind that require some sucking,

Hunter wouldn't use those until he was about 18 months. He would use a
straw relatively early though so he could take a sports bottle in the car -
it helped a bit with spills. Close the straw and put the bottom in her
mouth and let it run out. That is how Hunter learned. He was about 11
months though.

but if you sit there and tip the cup
toward her and help her, she drinks FINE out of a cup with a lid and
spout.

Yay!

But I am not willing to go more than another
week or two without getting her on regular cereal...we made it the
whole 6 months pretty much nursing exclusively, not even much pumped
milk for the most part. But I feel she needs to get in some daily
foods- she eats fine off a spoon.

Good luck. Hunter taught me that those darn babies have their own schedule
and don't much care about what we feel like, lol. I offered daily and he
did eventually start eating but not when I wanted him to!

So anyway, high chair opinions?

We had a very basic simple one but we only used it about once a day for
supper. They never stayed in them to play or for very long so we didn't
need all the options. I don't know anything about the one you mentioned.

--
Nikki

Old November 7th 04, 06:39 PM
Anne Rogers

welcome back Jill :-)

good luck with the solids, have you thought about trying finger foods? she
sounds very much like Nathanael was with her treatment of purees, he much
preferred to eat cubes of cheese.

Old November 7th 04, 06:43 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Jill wrote:

I was drinking a fastfood drink with a straw, and she reached
out before I could stop her and snatched the cup out of my hand and put the
straw to her lips! She didn't know what to do once it was there,

By this age, there are good odds she can learn to use a
straw. Start by putting your finger over one end of the straw
to hold some liquid in and then dripping it into her mouth.
Then move to making her suck on the straw a bit to get anything
out (by keeping your finger over the end of the straw). Pretty
soon she'll get the picture that there's Good Stuff in there
and she'll suck enough on the straw to get something, and voila!
She'll be drinking from a straw! Just make sure when she first
tries, the cup is full so that she doesn't have to suck forever
to get something to her mouth.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old November 7th 04, 07:00 PM
Jill

"ModernMiko" wrote
Jill!!! Welcome back! I can't help you with high chair recs (we bought and
used a Babee Tenda table - expensive but we loved it). But I wanted you to
know I missed you and the updates about Rachel :-)

Awww, thank you, I missed you as well!

EDD December 4 2004

I can't wait!!

Jill

Old November 7th 04, 07:06 PM
cll

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 18:39:24 -0000, "Anne Rogers"
wrote:

he much preferred to eat cubes of cheese.

At what age did you first give him something like this? I am too
scared & panicked that he'll choke. Did he bite into the cheese or
try to eat it whole?

Carla
Mom to Victor born 5.16.04
www.victorpictures.com --See him here!
Old November 7th 04, 07:18 PM
Jill

"Plissken" wrote
I have the Healthy Care high chair and honestly I wish I had bought
something a little simpler. We rarely adjust it at all and I find the
padding to be a PITA. It is too "frilly" and food gets in everywhere and

it
gets under the padding into the grooves and I can't seem to ever get it

out.

Eeek, yeah, I can totally see how this is going to happen! We also have the
FP Booster Seat that straps to a regular chair, and it is totally plastic
and so VERY easy to clean. But Rachel still likes to recline a bit while
eating so this is not that easy for her to sit up in yet, plus it seems too
"hard" for her also. At least the Healthy Care is more like a Car Seat on a
Stand, as my husband says-- more confortable at least.

I am going through this weekend and cleaning and putting away some of her
stuff already-- I have taken the bassinet and changing pad off the Pack N
Play, and we are putting away her first car seat (Graco Snugride) and it's
base....plus all those 0-3 months sized clothes and some 3-6 months too. She
is still wearing 3-6 months because she's a skinny peanut but she is tall
and is going to outgrow this size within a week or two in most of what we
have, so she won't be wearing a lot of what we have in that size any more
In sleeper outfits with feet, she is too tall already and is in 6-9
months....it's nice but it's sentimental......all those few months of
memories of her in these little outfits she won't wear any more. Although
realistically, she never did wear many of them more than a few times each!
And I couldn't manage to fit her into all of them, I favored certain outfits
and never put her in others until it was too late to get wear out of them. I
am saving everything.....I still want another one. I still feel the
overwhelm sometimes, but it gets easier as Rachel can entertain herself. So
yeah, I still do want another one soon! :0

Jill

Old November 7th 04, 07:18 PM
ModernMiko

"Jill" wrote in message
news

"ModernMiko" wrote
Jill!!! Welcome back! I can't help you with high chair recs (we bought
and
used a Babee Tenda table - expensive but we loved it). But I wanted you
know I missed you and the updates about Rachel :-)

Awww, thank you, I missed you as well!

:-)

EDD December 4 2004

I can't wait!!

Jill

Oh man! I am kind of thinking that DS#2 can't wait either. I feel so bleh
and my tummy has been acting up. I remember feeling like this at about 38
weeks with DS#1. I am hoping that he will turn again before he decides to
come on out. All along I've thought he would be a Thanksgiving baby but now
that he's breech at 36 w, I am hoping (and working on by tilt exercises,
cold, DH talking to my crotch area LOL!, and visualization) that he'll turn
and then he can come out pretty much any time he wants.

--
JennL
DS 06/26/98

aka CatnipSlayer @ livin-it-up.net
--
Leader of the Cult of Worshippers of BiPolar Long-Haired Sexy Anime Guys
with Swords

Old November 7th 04, 08:06 PM
Anne Rogers

At what age did you first give him something like this? I am too
scared & panicked that he'll choke. Did he bite into the cheese or
try to eat it whole?

I'm not sure quite what he did, but he had no teeth, and some of it
definitely went down, he was about 6.5 months when we tried it, obviously we
supervised him closely

Old November 7th 04, 08:20 PM
Jamie Clark

Taylor just learned to use a straw a few weeks ago, at 22 months. I'd never
really tried before this, except a few times at a restaurant. She loves to
play with straws, and at a certain point in the past few months figured out
that you can blow in a straw and make bubbles, but didn't understand the
sucking concept with a straw. But, we were at a Gymboree Halloween party,
and they gave out apple juice boxes and cookies. I put the straw to her
lips while I held the juice box, and she blew a little bit, and let it sit
in her mouth. I gently squeezed the box so that juice came out of the
straw, and BAM, a light went off in her head, and she sucked on it and it
worked. She drank that whole box of juice down in about 10 minutes, leaning
in and sucking, backing off and swallowing, leaning back in and sucking. I
held the box the whole time, as it seems that kids can't resist the urge to
squeeze them! We were so proud!
--

Jamie
Earth Angels: