High chair opinions, and update

Old November 7th 04, 08:25 PM
Jamie Clark

Jill,
Yep, it's bittersweet to pack away the stuff that doesn't fit any more,
isn't it? I go through Taylor's drawers and closet every few months. I
keep a clear plastic tote under her crib (hidden by the dust ruffle) and put
things that no longer fit her in there. That way I can tuck things in as
they are too small, and when it's full, put it up in the closet and put
another empty bin under the crib. Things also tend to be stored in like
sizes as well, which will make it easier when you have your second.

We pulled all of our bins down before Addie came, and I had such a nice time
pulling things out, remembering each outfit. And now that I've pulled out
all of the 0-3 and 3-6 month stuff and put it in Addie's dresser and closet,
I have new empty totes for Taylor 18-24 month stuff!
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

"Jill" wrote in message
om...

"Plissken" wrote
I have the Healthy Care high chair and honestly I wish I had bought
something a little simpler. We rarely adjust it at all and I find the
padding to be a PITA. It is too "frilly" and food gets in everywhere and

it
gets under the padding into the grooves and I can't seem to ever get it

out.

Eeek, yeah, I can totally see how this is going to happen! We also have
the
FP Booster Seat that straps to a regular chair, and it is totally plastic
and so VERY easy to clean. But Rachel still likes to recline a bit while
eating so this is not that easy for her to sit up in yet, plus it seems
too
"hard" for her also. At least the Healthy Care is more like a Car Seat on
Stand, as my husband says-- more confortable at least.

I am going through this weekend and cleaning and putting away some of her
stuff already-- I have taken the bassinet and changing pad off the Pack N
Play, and we are putting away her first car seat (Graco Snugride) and it's
base....plus all those 0-3 months sized clothes and some 3-6 months too.
She
is still wearing 3-6 months because she's a skinny peanut but she is tall
and is going to outgrow this size within a week or two in most of what we
have, so she won't be wearing a lot of what we have in that size any more
In sleeper outfits with feet, she is too tall already and is in 6-9
months....it's nice but it's sentimental......all those few months of
memories of her in these little outfits she won't wear any more. Although
realistically, she never did wear many of them more than a few times each!
And I couldn't manage to fit her into all of them, I favored certain
outfits
and never put her in others until it was too late to get wear out of them.
am saving everything.....I still want another one. I still feel the
overwhelm sometimes, but it gets easier as Rachel can entertain herself.
So
yeah, I still do want another one soon! :0

Jill

Old November 8th 04, 12:48 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Jamie Clark wrote:

Taylor just learned to use a straw a few weeks ago, at 22 months. I'd never
really tried before this, except a few times at a restaurant. She loves to
play with straws, and at a certain point in the past few months figured out
that you can blow in a straw and make bubbles, but didn't understand the
sucking concept with a straw. But, we were at a Gymboree Halloween party,
and they gave out apple juice boxes and cookies. I put the straw to her
lips while I held the juice box, and she blew a little bit, and let it sit
in her mouth. I gently squeezed the box so that juice came out of the
straw, and BAM, a light went off in her head, and she sucked on it and it
worked. She drank that whole box of juice down in about 10 minutes, leaning
in and sucking, backing off and swallowing, leaning back in and sucking. I
held the box the whole time, as it seems that kids can't resist the urge to
squeeze them! We were so proud!

I think the sucking action required for a straw is quite
natural for them. All mine took to straws pretty early. I think
Genevieve started around 6.5 months. I would never have thought
to start so early, but my mother started Adrian early (surprised
me! ;-) so after that, I started the others early. It's very
convenient for them to be able to drink out of a straw. Sippy
cups can be scarce sometimes, but straws are abundant ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old November 8th 04, 01:21 AM
Kelly

Hi Jill!!!
I only have high chair "don'ts." We had a Fisher Price highchair with #1
that was old, wide, and just perfect aside from it having hearts on the
vinyl seat

Anyway....we decided to get a wooden high chair for the consectutive kiddos.
Which, although they look nice, were slippery to sit in (so I had to buy a
chair pad and back which made the dork factor increase) and they aren't the
most practical to clean.

This time we are going to buy a child chair from IKEA and push it to the
table because I don't want to buy a highchair and then store it somewhere.
Our kitchen is smaller and we don't have the table set up there.

What you have sounds just fine and easy to use and clean. Those are biggies
in my book. AND, you already have it in the house

For sippy cups, two of mine did great with sippy cups and one did better
with a thick straw. Also, each child after #1 advanced to cup no lid pretty
quickly or to the tupperware cups with the simple lid/spout.

Have fun!

Kelly
#4 2/12/05

"Jill" wrote in message
om...
Rachel is now 6 months old. We have the Fisher Price Healthy Care Booster
but have just bought (but not opened yet!) the Fisher Price Healthy Care
High chair because we wanted something that adjusts more, reclines, and

plus
we need our extra kitchen chair for adults when we have company. I wanted

be able to put her in her own separate high chair and pull her up to the
table with us.

Haven't opened it yet but in general Fisher Price seems to make some good
stuff. I did note that it has a vinyl seat not a cloth one, for easier
cleaning. It also seems to be very adjustable.

Any opinions on what high chairs are good, and has anyone tried and
loved/hated the Fisher Price Healthy Care High Chair?

Extra info, Rachel is still not on a gob of solids yet. After 4 months of
age I let her try rice cereal and she didn't seem ready. At 5 months I

went
back again and was mixing her cereal, but this time Gerber Oatmeal with
bananas, with a little expressed breast milk. Oatmeal seemed to be too
"heavy" for her (she'd eat it fine but 12 hours later spit up curdled
oatmealy looking stuff). And for the past few weeks she has really only
been nursing exclusively, she watches intensely when we eat, but just

seems
to only want to nurse. Anything I try to give her, she eats- she has lost
most of her tongue-thrust reflex so she eats off a spoon fine. She never

did
take a bottle. I was drinking a fastfood drink with a straw, and she

reached
out before I could stop her and snatched the cup out of my hand and put

the
straw to her lips! She didn't know what to do once it was there, but that
led me to try her on a sippy cup of breastmilk. She hates the Sippy cups
with the valves, the no-spill kind that require some sucking, but if you

sit
there and tip the cup toward her and help her, she drinks FINE out of a

cup
with a lid and spout. She'll spill it of course if you let her have it
without help.....but I think this is a riot- she wouldn't take bottles or
pacifiers, never did, and hates sippy cups with valves (I tried the Avent
Magic Cup, and Playtex First Sipster). But she'll sip from a cup with a

lid
and a spout, and she will even sip from a regular cup **if you hold it for
her, and do the "pouring"**. LOL!

But anyway she is 6 months old on Tuesday November 9-- and I figure, it is
time to start giving her daily cereal and 1st stage foods and wean her up

on
them. She really isn't showing any signs of hunger (and, BTW, has not cut
her first tooth yet)....she just loves to nurse, nurse, nurse. But I am

not
willing to go more than another week or two without getting her on regular
cereal...we made it the whole 6 months pretty much nursing exclusively,

not
even much pumped milk for the most part. But I feel she needs to get in

some
daily foods- she eats fine off a spoon. Actually she grabs the spoon and
tries to feed herself! Sometimes she uses the wrong end, and dumps the
cereal into her lap, and gums the handle of the spoon! lol.

But anyway, she seems to have gained quite a bit of weight, her

appointment
this week will let me know. She is right where she should be on head

control
etc so I don;t think we will have anything to worry about developmentally.
She rolls over all the time, and can almost crawl but not yet. We have
bought a bed rail! (We are still cosleeping.)

I never thought 1- I'd still be breastfeeding exclusively at 6 months,

with
no pacifiers, no bottles.... 2- that I ever would have coslept, much less
every single night for 6 months with no plans to stop and 3-that I would
actually plan, and it would be possible and goig well, to breastfeed her

her one year birthday- we'll see about this one!

She has not been the least bit sick yet. But one factor could be that I am
very careful about handwashing, and having her out around people who are
coughing etc and it helps a lot that she isn't really around kids yet.

So anyway, high chair opinions?
Jill

Old November 8th 04, 02:08 AM
Kelly

We were told to stop any sippy cup with Nathan due to his speech issues.
Luckily he was my straw kiddo, so he rarely ever had a sippy cup-especially
the Playtex ones that were nonspill. Straws are good to build mouth muscles
and tongue dexterity in speaking.

Kelly