VEs and dilation update ques.

Old October 19th 04, 06:00 PM
Leslie

Barbara said:

Oh gosh, believe me, I'm right there with you. I *know* it's not easy. I
just feel it's my duty to try to instill in others more backbone than I
myself have g!

Good point!

You just say, "No, you may not check me." Being in a hospital
does not strip you of your right to refuse any treatment or
procedure you don't want. Now, I admit, it may not be as easily
said as done, but nonetheless, you DO have a choice.

I guess this is one way that a doula or labor coach could be of
service, to help one to refuse unwanted interventions.

Definitely. I always think I was just exceedingly lucky in my two
unmedicated labors. The first one (second birth) went so fast (at least
after we got to the hospital) that they really didn't have time to intervene
very much. And when I was induced with my third, I had deliberately chosen a
midwifery practice that I knew would be less likely to be overly
interventionist. So I'd say a lot of how a hospital birth goes is a
combination of luck and your choice of caregivers. And unfortunately, you
can't control the first at all and a lot of people can't control the second,
either (due to insurance or availability).

Right, I actually am at the least interventionist hospital IMO, but the birth
center will not do VBACs so I'm out of luck there. A lot will depend on what
nurses I end up with, and most of them are wonderful. As I said in my post to
Ericka, I make enough fuss about things b efore labor (and generally get my
way!) to want to rock the boat too much once I'm there! I do plan to stay home
as long as possible this time. I'm sure my OB will want me to come in right
away, but we are literally in walking distance of the hospital so I think it
would be safe to stay home until "the signpost of self-doubt" as Bradley
suggests.

Leslie

Emily (2/4/91)
Jake (1/27/94)
Teddy (2/15/95)
William (3/5/01 -- VBA3C, 13 lbs. 5 oz.)
and Lorelei, expected 11/2/04

"Children come trailing clouds of glory from God, which is their home."
~ William Wordsworth