constipation?

Old July 21st 03, 03:11 PM
Astromum

Default constipation?

John Taylor wrote:
Is there anything else i can do short of taking him to the doc?

If it is really hurting him, I'd take him to the doc. Else you can
try raisins, prunes, drinking lots of water and a high-fiber diet
(oatmeal, whole-wheat bread, etc). A tummy massage (clockwise) can
also trigger the bowels.

Since you say it is not the first time, I'd have a close look at
his diet and add some of these things to prevent constipation in
the future. It can be a delicate balance.

--
-- Ilse
mom to Olaf (07/15/2002)

Old July 21st 03, 03:17 PM
David&Wendy

don't give him bananas they will make him more constipated ... prune juice
should help also...
wendy mom of 4 now!!
"John Taylor" wrote in message
My 3 (almost 4) year old is on his second bout of constipation in 2 weeks.

My
wife has given him that terrible tasting medicine that looks like vanilla
extract and i have given him grape juice. He is crying and asking me why

it
wont come out :-( I just called my mom and she said to put vasaline on

him so
i put a little on my baby finger and put it down there and my finger hit

the
poop. It felt like a mass the size of a baseball! No wonder it wont come

out.
Is there anything else i can do short of taking him to the doc?
http://www.memoriesmagic.com

Old July 21st 03, 04:56 PM
John Taylor

Looks like were gonna have to take him to the doc. We gave him a suppository
last night,didnt work,and i gave him a half glass of prune juice this morning
(took 30 minutes,he fought the whole time :-). He tried to go and only got out
a tiny bit,and when i was cleaning him up,i could still see it in there. Im
afraid its so big its going to really hurt him coming out,whether he does it ir
the doc does it. What will the doc do?
http://www.memoriesmagic.com
Old July 21st 03, 05:02 PM
Astromum

Mom2B wrote:
I thought banana's are high in roughage so help constipation?

It can work either way, but in general they constipate more
than they laxate (sp?). At least in my experience...

Old July 21st 03, 06:36 PM
Welches

John Taylor wrote in message
Looks like were gonna have to take him to the doc. We gave him a

suppository
last night,didnt work,and i gave him a half glass of prune juice this

morning
(took 30 minutes,he fought the whole time :-). He tried to go and only

got out
a tiny bit,and when i was cleaning him up,i could still see it in there.

Im
afraid its so big its going to really hurt him coming out,whether he does

it ir
the doc does it. What will the doc do?
http://www.memoriesmagic.com

Make a dr.s appointment because the longer the worse it will be.
See if you can bribe him to really try to get it out. Make the bribe big
enough to get him to try but not so big he thinks it's a good idea. He may
not be totally trying as it will hurt. Sit with him while he tries and
encourage him. Don't get upset with him, or make him feel a failure if he
doesn't manage. Explain to him that it gets worse the longer he leaves it
and you've made a dr.s appointment. See if he'll drink prune juice again
(maybe with bribe of something to take the taste away) first, and eat fruit
(I wouldn't recommend bananas, but peaches, plums, or grapes I find best)
It might be as well to see the dr. anyway (I would here, but that's on NHS)
so he can give you a laxative in case it happens again, so you can give it
him before it gets too bad.
The medicine I was given as a child tasted so bad I made sure I wouldn't
need it again!
Debbie

Old July 21st 03, 10:19 PM
Valerie Rake

I vaguely remember going to the doctor about this when I was very young.
I don't recall at all what the doc did. But I do distinctly remember
taking a spoonful of molasses every day for awhile after that to avoid
constipation. Anyone ever heard of this remedy and whether it really
would work?

Valerie

Old July 21st 03, 11:17 PM
John Taylor

We called and the doc said to give him mom (milk of mag.) every day for 2
weeks. He finally got a piece about the size of my thumb out but it wasnt near
enough :-(
http://www.memoriesmagic.com
Old July 22nd 03, 09:23 AM
Kereru

"Mom2B" wrote in message
I thought banana's are high in roughage so help constipation?

As a baby my son would always get constipated after eating a banana. Who
knows why but he wasn't a happy chappy! He's fine with them now (aged nearly
two).