Help! Night Awakenings after Sleeping Through

Old September 30th 03, 04:59 PM
Wendy J.

Default Help! Night Awakenings after Sleeping Through

Hi,

Delurking for some help please ...

Background info: Dd has been sleeping 12-13 hrs for the past 3 months
straight through (8pm to 8am). She nurses on demand, usually every 1
1/2 hr during the day (about 9 times). She is eating 2 cubes of food
2 x a day (for 6 weeks). She does have a tooth that is about to come
through.

Last night I got about 2 hours sleep (compared to my usual 8-9). The
night before I got around 2 hours too. I don't understand what is
going on. So, ANY INSIGHT would be appreciated. Usually she goes to
sleep and NEVER wakes up crying in the morning. However for the past
5 nights she has been going to sleep fine but waking 1/2 hr later
crying. I have to then nurse her and put her to sleep which isn't a
problem. In addition, the last 2 night she has been waking sometimes
every 1/2 hr, sometimes every hr, sometimes every 2 hours
crying/screaming. I go in the nursery and pick her up and rock her
for about 1/2 a minute (don't want to do it any longer because I don't
want to wake dh up). If she doesn't stop crying I take her to the
spare bed and nurse her and she eats like she is STARVING. Then I
pick her up and she is half asleep. I rock her for a few minutes and
put her down and she goes down fine. BUT, she keeps waking up CRYING.

What is going on? I don't know if she is in pain because she wouldn't
sleep at all, would she? She also seems to be fine throughout the
day. She is eating 2 cubes of veggies/fruits 2 x a day and she is
nursing the usual amount. Sorry, this is too much info, but my
breasts/nipples are killing me because I am not used to her feeding at
night. I obviously have milk at night because she is gulping it down.
Last night she woke up at least 6 times and the night before it was 5
I think. She has been eating every time she wakes up because it is
the only way I can get her back to sleep.

I am totally confused as to what is wrong with her. This morning she
ate her solids fine and went down to sleep at 10am. She woke up 1/2
hr later crying and usually I would get her up but I decided to nurse
her and see if she would go back to sleep and she did. She went to
sleep for 45 minutes. So, she CAN'T be in pain, can she? I just don't
understand why she is waking all of a sudden all night long. Maybe it
is because she is hungry but that can't be possible because she is
eating nearly every 1 1/2 hrs during the day, plus the solids 2 x a
day.

Sorry for rambling. I am so confused and tired. Oh, and she doesn't
seem to have a fever or anything. Right now she is happy playing on
the floor. So, why all the awakenings during the night all of a
sudden. Is she just going through a stage or something. If so I hope
it passes soon.

And this is a question I don't think is related to the above. How
should her bm be after 6 weeks of eating solids? It used to
completely fill the diaper when she was just bf'ing (she went every
7-10 days) but now it is just one small clump (sorry, TMI) sometimes 3
times a day. I can squish it in the diaper and I don't believe it is
"hard." Is this normal? Guess I am just used to the paste-like
explosions :-) Sorry this post is really long.

Wendy J.
Katie (4/13/03)
Old September 30th 03, 07:21 PM
iphigenia

Wendy J. wrote:
She does have a tooth that is about to come
through.

Frankly, I think that's it right there. Whenever Gabe had a tooth about to
come through we had a few hell nights of constant waking.

What is going on? I don't know if she is in pain because she wouldn't
sleep at all, would she?

Well, yeah. Even when people are sick or in discomfort they still get sleep.
They may wake frequently and sleep fitfully, though, just as your daughter
seems to be doing.

Sorry for rambling. I am so confused and tired. Oh, and she doesn't
seem to have a fever or anything. Right now she is happy playing on
the floor. So, why all the awakenings during the night all of a
sudden. Is she just going through a stage or something. If so I hope
it passes soon.

Try giving her some ibuprofen before bedtime. I never really had to deal
with the sleeplessness; we coslept, so even when I was being wakened
frequently, it was only for a minute or two each time. I do know about the
soreness, though!

And this is a question I don't think is related to the above. How
should her bm be after 6 weeks of eating solids? It used to
completely fill the diaper when she was just bf'ing (she went every
7-10 days) but now it is just one small clump (sorry, TMI) sometimes 3
times a day.

Sounds pretty typical. As long as she isn't constipated, she's fine.

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Old October 1st 03, 03:06 AM
Nevermind

Wendy: Teething can definitely disrupt even a good sleeper's sleep.
Try painkiller: tylenol at bedtime and/or baby oragel on the gums when
she wakes up. Anyone can stand a couple of bad nights once a month
while a tooth comes in, but the problem is that a lot of babies seem
to not naturally revert to their good sleep habits after the tooth
comes in. While she's teething, try to do the bare minimum to comfort
her. Try to avoid nursing her every time she wakes up, especially as
you mentioned that even after she has nursed, she *still* won't go
back to sleep for a decent length of time -- so there's no big payoff
to adding in that nursing. Once the tooth is out and if you don't see
any swollen areas on the gums, which would indicate another imminent
tooth, if she doesn't revert back to her good sleep (which some do,
like my oldest child, bless him) you can wean her off of your regular
presence all night.

I should also note that a lot of babies start having
non-teething-related disrupted sleep at about 4 months. I'm told it's
because this is when they start having sleep cycles that include brief
wakings and periods of light sleep. You and I have these too, but
we're used to just turning over and going right back to sleep. Some
babies don't naturally do this, and they need comfort to get back to
sleep every time. Parents can either resign themselves to that by
co-sleeping or just getting up a lot every night, or they can train
the baby to get back to sleep on their own.

Good luck!
Old October 1st 03, 03:40 AM
Cathy

Wendy J. wrote in message
om...
Hi,
She does have a tooth that is about to come
through.

Yep, as others have said, I bet that is it. DD started sleping through, for
a week, then teeth 5 and 6 started making an appearance, and boy is she a
grump. From going to bed no trouble, she now cries for up to 1/2 an hour
(rocking will usually get her to sleep, but it takes a while), and she wakes
in the night as she isn't feeding well during the day.

Cathy

Old October 2nd 03, 01:02 AM
Wendy J.

Not exactly what I wanted hear but thanks anyway ;-)

Wendy J.
Katie (4/13/03)

"Rob & Laura" wrote in message .cable.rogers.com...
I think I might want to say get use to it. Izabella starting at 3 months (b4
that she slept 12 hours straight during the night) now since teething (she
has 5 already) shes up almost every hour if not every half hour, either to
be fed or just to play around. Now shes standing up and crawling around,
shes more excited about whats going on in the world and does not want to
sleep. Also teething is a big thing as well, it will probably keep her up
like you are saying.
I pray that Izabella will go back to her regular sleeping habits, but it
does not look like it. DH works graveyards and I am here alone with her,
and trying to get sleep is next to impossible!!!!! I just keep praying she
will just keep sleeping!!

And yes the BM is normal, Izabellas went like that around 5 months when she
started to get food. Izabella still does have some explosions every now and
than, speaking of which I just finished changing!! So yes its TOTALLY
normal!!

--
Laura ***SO SO TIRED**
Mommy to Izabella **Feb 10th, 2003**

Old October 2nd 03, 01:05 AM
Wendy J.

Huh, the nurse said that she is too young for ibuprofen and to give
tylenol. Is there some kind of baby ibuprofen and how much do you
give?

Wendy J.
Katie (4/13/03)

Old October 2nd 03, 02:37 AM
iphigenia

Wendy J. wrote:
Huh, the nurse said that she is too young for ibuprofen and to give
tylenol. Is there some kind of baby ibuprofen and how much do you
give?

Ibuprofen was approved for use in babies down to 2 months of age in 2001.
Maybe the nurse just isn't up on that. Yes, they make baby ibuprofen.
Dosing chart: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T088900.asp#T088901

Old October 2nd 03, 02:40 AM
iphigenia

Wendy J. wrote:

The nurse said that the worst thing I can do is nurse her to sleep.
Is this right?

Please. This is not medical advice, this is parenting advice. Millions of
mothers have nursed their babies to sleep for time immemorial. Feel free to
ignore her.

I just don't see the sense on letting her
cry and not picking her up but how on earth do I make her go to sleep
BY HERSELF! Jeez, who would think I would be so upset about all of
this. Sorry for the rambling.

Look, it's WAY early for this. Most babies up to well past a year need to be
nursed to sleep at least some of the time. It's not bad or wrong, if it's
working then it's working!

Old October 2nd 03, 04:06 AM
Laurie

Wendy J. wrote in message
. ..
Huh, the nurse said that she is too young for ibuprofen and to give
tylenol. Is there some kind of baby ibuprofen and how much do you
give?

Wendy J.
Katie (4/13/03)

It's not recommended to give ibuprofen to infants until at least 6 months.

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 2.5 years
and Christopher, 5 months

*This email address is now valid*

Old October 2nd 03, 04:07 AM
Laurie

iphigenia wrote in message ...
Wendy J. wrote:
Huh, the nurse said that she is too young for ibuprofen and to give
tylenol. Is there some kind of baby ibuprofen and how much do you
give?

Ibuprofen was approved for use in babies down to 2 months of age in 2001.
Maybe the nurse just isn't up on that. Yes, they make baby ibuprofen.
Dosing chart: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T088900.asp#T088901

--
iphigenia

Interesting, both my pediatrician's nurse and the pharmacist don't recommend
it 'til 6 months,.