My awful side effects from Strattera for ADHD

Old July 27th 03, 05:08 AM
andrea baker

Default My awful side effects from Strattera for ADHD

Hello all,

I've previously posted in misc.kids about my ADHD. In the event that
any of you are thinking about putting your kids on Strattera, or
taking it yourselves, I would like to share my own experience with
awful side effects, though with the caveat that our brain chemistry is
all different and plenty of people have had a good experience with it.
I've made the decision to get off Strattera and go back to Ritalin.

I'm a 34YO woman who first took Ritalin 29 years ago. I was on and
off of it during childhood, and then went back on at the age of 24 so
that I could complete my education, get a professional degree, and
stop wasting my life staring out the window (Ritalin made it possible
for me go from daydreaming, spacey factory worker to trial attorney).

However, it became apparent to me a couple months ago that Ritalin was
making me obsessive-compulsive (for example, I was going to my office
at about 7:45 a.m. and sometimes staying all day, working through
lunch and supper, and then leaving around midnight). I talked to my
doctor, and he put me on Strattera. Well, the Strattera hasn't helped
me focus as well as Ritalin did (though it helps somewhat with my
ability to focus), but it has made me unable to do any sort of manual
labor (such as mow my lawn!!!), makes me weak and faint, makes me
sweat buckets(I now end up sometimes going home at lunch to change my
shirt), and gives me terrible mood swings. It has also made it hard
for me to sleep.

I have become horribly irritable, and spent today bitching at my
significant other (who fortunately is very understanding and tolerant
about what I'm going through) over completely unreasonable things (for
example, he was trying to assist me with parallel parking, and I felt
total rage envelope me; I became furious and accused him of being
paternalistic and condescending; this is not my normal behavior).

As for the side effect of physical weakness, I haven't been able to
exercise, or even dig a hole in my yard to plant a small fruit tree,
and before I went on Strattera, I used to walk, do strenuous yard
work, work on my house, and so on. It is ridiculous that one should
have difficulty carrying even a basket of laundry from one room to the
next!

I'm going to call my doctor on Monday. I would much rather be my
happy and energetic self on Ritalin and suffer through the obsessive
side-effects than have the laundry list of side effects I've had to
suffer with Strattera. One side effect with Ritalin compared with
about 5 side effects with Strattera? Give me the Ritalin any day.

Andrea Baker
Old July 27th 03, 02:54 PM
Mark Probert

andrea baker wrote:

[...]

Suggest you try various delivery systems with Ritalin, e.g. Concerta,
Metadate, etc. which may ameliorate the OC.

Old July 28th 03, 01:49 PM
Jeff Utz

You can also try different ADHD medications (e.g., Adderall) as well as
other meds to treat your OCD symptoms as well as other treatments for OCD.
You may need to consult other professionals as well.

Jeff

Birth control question LeAnn General 21 April 23rd 04 09:58 PM
Side Effects of Going off the pil dbrenz Pregnancy 2 August 6th 03 06:57 PM
My awful side effects from Strattera for ADHD andrea baker General 2 July 28th 03 02:17 PM