Battle over the state's foster care system has kids in middle Governor's proposed cuts have upset child-welfare advocates

Old February 4th 04, 05:11 PM
wexwimpy

Default Battle over the state's foster care system has kids in middle Governor's proposed cuts have upset child-welfare advocates

Battle over the state's foster care system has kids in middle
Governor's proposed cuts have upset child-welfare advocates
Robert Salladay, Chronicle Sacramento Bureau Wednesday, January 14,
2004 ©2004 San Francisco Chronicle | Feedback | FAQ

Sacramento -- Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger wants to significantly
overhaul the state's foster care system, which is considered
dysfunctional and nearing a "public calamity," but has angered
child-welfare advocates with a budget plan that cuts money and
overturns revisions designed to help children escape homelessness or
group homes.
One Bay Area group called the proposed cuts to a San Francisco and
Alameda County housing program devastating, and a Democratic lawmaker
said Schwarzenegger was overstating how much money taxpayers would
save by reversing changes enacted under former Gov. Gray Davis.
The Republican governor's planned cuts, which could make it more
difficult for older children to find stable homes, represent a tiny
fraction of the huge foster care system in California and the expected
$15 billion budget shortfall. But the cuts nevertheless show that
Schwarzenegger is finding places to trim in nearly every aspect of
state government.
Schwarzenegger budget advisers pointed out that there has been a 23
percent increase in funding for foster care programs since 1998, even
though the number of cases has dropped 9 percent since then. They
promised to make a year-long effort to find ways to move foster
children out of expensive group homes and change how the state
government spends more than $1.1 billion a year to handle their cases.
Schwarzenegger wants group homes to prove they are meeting federal
standards for the safety, education and general care of foster
children before they receive state money. In a 2002 federal audit,
California failed five out of seven standards for the treatment of
foster children. If the state doesn't improve, it faces federal
penalties.
"It's moving toward accountability in the foster care system," said
Blanca Castro, spokeswoman for the state Department of Social
Services.
But Schwarzenegger also is proposing to limit funding for a housing
program that pays rent, utilities and counseling for former foster
children up to age 21. And he wants to repeal a new law that helps
older children find permanent homes with extended family members or
friends rather than in group homes or foster families.
Lawmakers and child-welfare groups said it was inconsistent to demand
financial reforms while repealing laws designed to decrease the number
of children in permanent foster care or group homes.
"We shouldn't give up on children just because they are older," said
Assemblyman Darrell Steinberg, D-Sacramento, who is author of foster
care reforms Schwarzenegger wants to repeal. "Just from a pure fiscal
perspective, what happens when we don't make every effort to help
older children is they end up in group homes at huge cost to counties
and the state."
Steinberg's AB408, Schwarzenegger's target, requires county
caseworkers to comb records, interview children and their extended
families and investigate even genealogical records to find a suitable
home for a foster child. Schwarzenegger's budget experts predicted the
reduction in investigative costs and paperwork if the bill is repealed
would save $4.3 million, but Steinberg said that amount was
overstated.
California has about 110,000 children in foster care because they have
been sexually and physically abused, exploited or taken away from
their negligent parents. The nonprofit Little Hoover Commission has
warned of a "public calamity" if the foster care system is not
reformed.
Three years ago, it said California was "seemingly incapable of
ensuring that these children receive the education, medical care and
counseling that all children need. In the end, troubled children often
end up as troubled adults."
In his 2004-05 budget plan, Schwarzenegger wants to spend $813,000 on
a housing program that foster care advocates say needs at least $2.4
million. The program provides young men and women who have just left
foster care up to $1,800 a month for rent, utilities, sundries and
counseling services.
Only Alameda County and San Francisco use this program, but seven
other counties, including Los Angeles, Contra Costa and Santa Cruz,
have plans to join, putting a greater burden on the limited resources.
"I probably would still be living in a shelter right now, because I
couldn't afford rents here in the Bay Area," said Joseph Aiken, 18,
who pays $173 a month for a two-bedroom Oakland apartment he shares
with a roommate, a modest outlay that makes it possible for him to
finish high school.
Charvett Blincoe, also 18, says she is able to live in a one-bedroom
apartment near Lake Merritt with her toddler daughter, allowing her to
get a degree from Cal State Hayward. She says the money assures her
independence.
"Without these programs, we'd just be stuck down," Blincoe said. "We'd
not be able to go anywhere."
Foster care advocates say that if all nine counties join the program,
the $813,000 that Schwarzenegger wants to spend won't be enough, and
kids will be shut out and possibly forced into homelessness. Tiffany
Johnson with the California Youth Connection, a lobbying group of
foster children and others, said the housing cut would be
"devastating." Amy Lemley, executive director of the nonprofit First
Place Fund for Youth, said she worried about a money squeeze if other
counties joined the program. The housing money "poses a tremendous
opportunity to end homelessness among former foster youth and prevent
chronic adult homelessness," Lemley said.
This year, Schwarzenegger is proposing to change the rates paid to all
foster care facilities and force counties too look for less expensive
housing options for children. The administration also wants to ask the
White House for a waiver to use federal money not just for housing but
also for intervention before a child is forced into foster care.
Castro says a large percentage of crisis calls about child abuse and
neglect end up being dismissed for lack of evidence but then simmer
and turn dangerous. The state wants to use federal money to intervene
sooner, before the situation becomes dangerous for the child.
Finally, the state would begin a more vigorous evaluation of foster
care group homes to make sure they are treating children well,
improving and not wasting taxpayer money.
"Oftentimes the audits are pretty much generic in terms of how much
money they get and how many kids they are serving," said Castro. "This
is specific outcomes: Are the kids getting the care they deserve?"

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...NGS649M1I1.DTL
Defend your civil liberties! Get information at http://www.aclu.org, become a member at http://www.aclu.org/join and get active at http://www.aclu.org/action.
Old February 4th 04, 08:23 PM
Fern5827

Default Battle over the state's foster care system has kids in middle Governor's proposed cuts have upset child-wel

Hey, Arnie, you could save dollars by moving kids to KINSHIP CARE.

I'll bet DSS, CPS in CA didn't do due diligence in tracking down relatives.

Heck, in Washington state, strangers seem to be given preference over FAMILY.

Wex found:

Schwarzenegger budget advisers pointed out that there has been a 23
percent increase in funding for foster care programs since 1998, even
though the number of cases has dropped 9 percent since then. They

promised to make a year-long effort to find ways to move foster
children out of expensive group homes and change how the state
government spends more than $1.1 billion a year to handle their cases.

Just whose friends run these GROUP HOMES?

requires county
caseworkers to comb records, interview children and their extended
families and investigate even genealogical records to find a suitable
home for a foster child.

Heck, in both FL and IL caseworkers were unable to locate families for kids.
Reporters for newspapers tracked down family in less than an hour.

It's to CPS advantage to milk the placement of these youngsters within their
purview for as long as possible

too look for less expensive
housing options for children. The administration also wants to ask the

Family.

but then simmer
and turn dangerous. The state w

Because CPS' intrusions empower the teen or young child to think that their
family is MEAN. To enable the youngster to feel that he is a victim of TOTALLY
UNREASONABLE PARENTS.

Yet, in reality, many parents cry out to the schools to provide DISCIPLINE FOR
YOUNGSTERS, whom the parents see are falling into an abyss of truancy, lying,
dealing, and hanging with questionable characters.

Wex sent in:

Subject: Battle over the state's foster care system has kids in middle
Governor's proposed cuts have upset child-wel
From: wexwimpy
Date: 2/4/2004 12:11 PM Eastern Standard Time
[...]

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...rchive/2004/01

/14/MNGS649M1I1.DTL

'Horrible' Home Kane General 1 July 16th 03 02:29 AM