Couple of questions

Old August 24th 07, 11:54 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Jeni Steers

Default Couple of questions

Hi All

Well, I plan to bf #2 but I've got a few questions that someone might be
able to help me with.

With ds I bf'd till he was 15 months, but the early days were hell and I was
an inch away from giving up. The main issue was sore, cracked and split
nipples. I got through it with the help of pumping, the odd bottle of
formula and nipple shields. But I really would like to work hard on
preventing these problems from the outset. I read that it might be
beneficial to soften the nipples with nipple cream before the birth so they
are more prepared. Has anyone does this and was it beneficial? Are there any
other tips that might help? I know I need to get a better latch from the
start than I did with ds but that's all I can think of.

Secondly, while I was bf'ing ds a small white raised bump appread on one
nipple. It didn't hurt when it arrived and doesn't bother me now. I did
think it was scar tissue from the split but then I realised it was the wrong
side and it appeared much later and is actually round rather than scar
shaped. I don't think it got in the way of ds bf'ing as that side was always
the better producer, but I wondered if anyone had a clue what it might be
and whether it might hamper things this time round?

Thanks in advance!

Jeni

Old August 24th 07, 01:58 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Mary W.

On Aug 24, 6:54 am, "Jeni Steers" wrote:
Hi All

Well, I plan to bf #2 but I've got a few questions that someone might be
able to help me with.

With ds I bf'd till he was 15 months, but the early days were hell and I was
an inch away from giving up. The main issue was sore, cracked and split
nipples. I got through it with the help of pumping, the odd bottle of
formula and nipple shields. But I really would like to work hard on
preventing these problems from the outset. I read that it might be
beneficial to soften the nipples with nipple cream before the birth so they
are more prepared. Has anyone does this and was it beneficial? Are there any
other tips that might help? I know I need to get a better latch from the
start than I did with ds but that's all I can think of.

I don't know if it would help. I had cracked, sore nipples with both
girls.
With my first, I treated for thrush after about a week and then they
cleared up right away. With my second, I think it was in part due to
her latch. With my second I used the soothie gel pads that you put
in the refrigerator to cool down. They helped alot. I don't know what
else I could have done with her.

Secondly, while I was bf'ing ds a small white raised bump appread on one
nipple. It didn't hurt when it arrived and doesn't bother me now. I did
think it was scar tissue from the split but then I realised it was the wrong
side and it appeared much later and is actually round rather than scar
shaped. I don't think it got in the way of ds bf'ing as that side was always
the better producer, but I wondered if anyone had a clue what it might be
and whether it might hamper things this time round?

I have something that sounds like that, I got it when nursing DD1.
It didn't hurt and didn't hamper her nursing. It
didn't bother DD2 either. I've been done nursing for a year and it's
still
there all those less noticable now. It wasn't from the cracked
nipples
because it showed up well after they had healed. So I don't know what
it is but it never bothered me.

Mary W.

Old August 24th 07, 08:34 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers[_4_]

Jeni Steers wrote:
Hi All

Well, I plan to bf #2 but I've got a few questions that someone might be
able to help me with.

With ds I bf'd till he was 15 months, but the early days were hell and I was
an inch away from giving up. The main issue was sore, cracked and split
nipples. I got through it with the help of pumping, the odd bottle of
formula and nipple shields. But I really would like to work hard on
preventing these problems from the outset. I read that it might be
beneficial to soften the nipples with nipple cream before the birth so they
are more prepared. Has anyone does this and was it beneficial? Are there any
other tips that might help? I know I need to get a better latch from the
start than I did with ds but that's all I can think of.

some would argue you want to harden not soften, I'm not sure either
conclusively helps! What shape are your nipples? it might sound bizarre,
but if they are at all inverted, working on drawing the out with your
fingers in the run up to the birth, even if it doesn't fix them in
position will at least get them in the habit of going in to the correct
position, it will probably also result in some colostrum being produced,
which you can then rub into the nipple. But latch is probably going to
be the key thing - plus acting on any slight crack straight away, my
preferred help is smothering it in vaseline.

Secondly, while I was bf'ing ds a small white raised bump appread on one
nipple. It didn't hurt when it arrived and doesn't bother me now. I did
think it was scar tissue from the split but then I realised it was the wrong
side and it appeared much later and is actually round rather than scar
shaped. I don't think it got in the way of ds bf'ing as that side was always
the better producer, but I wondered if anyone had a clue what it might be
and whether it might hamper things this time round?

so there wasn't a clog up of milk behind it - if there is, then it's
likely a milk blister and the recommended course of action is to pop
them with a sterile needle. Other sources of white spots that I can
think of are nipple vasospasms - but that usually results in pain, the
other possibility would be thrust, which also tends to cause pain, just
a different pain. It could be a montgomery's tubicle, I'm never quite
sure what they are supposed to look like. If it doesn't cause pain, then
I can't see why it would be a problem, if it does, then I'd recommend
going to a breastfeeding clinic and seeing if they can figure out what
it is and then act accordingly.

Cheers
Anne
Old December 24th 07, 01:21 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Nikki

"Jeni Steers" wrote in message

I know I need to get a better latch from the
start than I did with ds but that's all I can think of.

That is really the key. You may be sore for a couple weeks but no cracks
etc. if the latch is correct.

Secondly, while I was bf'ing ds a small white raised bump appread on one
nipple.

I don't know what that is.

Best of luck for easy delivery and breastfeeding!!!

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99