Codeine and nursing moms -- rare but dangerous side-effect (death ment'd)

Old May 16th 06, 10:40 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Codeine and nursing moms -- rare but dangerous side-effect (death ment'd)

That really presumes that they "observe" carefully. I almost died from
inadequate "observation" when I was a teenager. If theyr'e not looking
for the right things, all the observation in the world isn't
necessarily going to help.

absolutely! When we were trying to go home after Ada was born and the
suddenly said we had to stay in "for observation", I promptly quizzed them
on what observation, which turned out to be no more than what we would have
done at home, as in keep an eye on her!

Anne

Old May 16th 06, 10:44 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Hahahahahah!!!! Sorry. I ASKED for mine. Peekaboo more than 10 times, I
was done.

absolutely, there is a time for every intervention, I don't think Larry can
really have meant get rid of episiostomies, they can be necessary for a
normal delivery for cases like yours, they are necessary for a forceps
delivery, though apparently not for a ventouse, though many doctors still do
one.

Anne

Old May 16th 06, 10:45 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Aspirin is recommended for breastfeeding,

Hi, lurker butting in here.
Aspirin is _not_ recommeded for breast-feeding mothers, as it is
contraindicated for children under 16 (can cause Reyes syndrome). We can
has paracetomol or ibuprofen, but that's about it!

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles...?ArticleId=854

sorry, terrible typos, that was what I meant to say, thus pointing out there
were few things that can be used!

Anne

Old May 16th 06, 10:46 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Engram" wrote in message
u...
I'd go so far as to say don't use ibuprofen if your child is under 6
months old. In Australia ibuprofen is not available in infant pain killers
until the child is 6 months old, anyway, so I'd go with not taking it
myself while breastfeeding, either, as it does pass into the milk in small
doses. It's also counterindicated for use during pregnancy as the effect
on the foetus is unknown.

Ibuprofen, and other drugs in its class, is also known to carry a higher
risk of allergic reaction in individuals with asthma. Although such
reactions are said to be rare in children and the risk is higher in
adults, I personally don't take ibuprofen or give it to DS as my husband
is asthmatic and I'm not sure whether DS is at risk. As asthma is
heritable and DS already has eczema, indicating a propensity for
allergies, I remain on probably the overly cautious side of things that
might affect him.

which really does just make Elle's comment of "other over-the-counter type
pain
remedies without codeine that can be easily substituted" entirely false as
it literally leaves paracetamol.

Anne