Pumping tips

Old August 6th 03, 04:33 PM
Melissa

Default Pumping tips

I pump for about 20 minutes every morning so that (a) dd can get the hang of
eating from a bottle and (b) we have a bit of a stash so that once she does
take a bottle I can go out occasionally. However, in the 20 minutes of
pumping (I have a PIS with, finally, the right size flanges) I get somewhere
between 1.5-3 oz. DD is 16 1/2 weeks old, so I know I'm producing a lot more
than that when she eats. I've tried pumping 20 minutes after feeding, 1 hour
after feeding and other times, but it doesn't seem to affect how little I
get. I can feel letdown, but don't see much coming from it. DD was born at 5
lbs. 9 oz. and is now around 14 lbs., so I know it's not a supply issue.

What I'd like is to be able to get about 2 oz. every morning in about 10
minutes. Any suggestions? TIA

--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03

Old August 9th 03, 06:41 AM
She's A Goddess

"Melissa" wrote in message

What I'd like is to be able to get about 2 oz. every morning in about 10
minutes. Any suggestions? TIA

You're using a PIS, are you double pumping or just pumping one side? Double
pumping sometimes increases the output of one side and gives you the benefit
of whatever is "left" on the other side. If I pump in the morning the kids
get one side (baby first, then toddler) and I save the other side so its
been at least three hours since someone's eaten on it, usually four or more.
I can then get four ounces in four minutes or six ounces in ten minutes with
my Isis. Tips from my PIS pumping days -

Pump first, feed second
Use massage and breast compression
Do something completely unrelated while pumping (newsgroups, email,
newspaper or television)
When output slows stop pumping, remove the horns and massage down for 15 to
20 seconds, then start again
When output slows again, just remove the horns (usually I could get more by
doing this a few times)
Eat oatmeal each morning or before bed to get just that little bit of supply
boost.

Good luck!
--
Rhiannon
Madison Sophia - 9/6/01

New nanny needs tips Traci General 1 September 30th 03 07:01 AM
pain while pumping Herself Breastfeeding 4 August 2nd 03 10:31 AM
A few pumping questions Laurie Breastfeeding 0 July 27th 03 04:30 AM
Frustrated pumping -- little milk for a lot of effort -- is this a letdown problem? a pump problem? MarkG Breastfeeding 12 July 20th 03 06:33 AM
stay sane while pumping for two Ducky Lawyer Breastfeeding 4 July 16th 03 12:20 PM