Snuggle Nest Question

Old April 13th 04, 10:48 PM
Carol Ann

Default Snuggle Nest Question

How long were you able to use yours?

Do you recommend any other type of co sleeping bed?

~Carol Ann

Old April 13th 04, 11:47 PM
Karen

With ds, we used the Arm's Reach co-sleeper for about 8 months or so,
then took the side off the unused crib and attached that to the bed as
the cosleeper had been. Also, when ds was newborn and needed to feed
frequently and there fore change sides throughout the night, we used one
of those "sleep positioner" thingies. So half the time he was on the
cosleeper side and the other half he was between dh and me.

We used the sleep positioner to help quell dh's fears of rolling on the
baby. Ours had a flat mat with a sewn on foam piece to go above the
head, then two side pieces between which you lie the baby. The side
pieces on mine have velcro so you can adjust them, so I would leave on
the one next to dh and remove the one next to me for convenience of bf.
The foam pieces were pretty firm, and we felt confident that it would be
enough to give dh a signal to roll back.

We pulled our pillows towards the edges of the bed, folded the comforter
down at least half way, used lightweight sheets and an open-weave cotton
blanket for our covers, and used a baby blanket on the baby. Dh is
usually a furnace when he sleeps, so he was warm enough, and I would
just wear a warmer top if I needed it. Ds coslept with us until just
after he turned 3, when the idea of having his own bed suddenly occurred
to him (It's in the corner of our room. The concept of sleeping in the
other bedroom has only been a vague notion. I trust he'll let us know
when that's something he wants to do.)

We will do all of the above with baby-to-be, assuming baby is happy with
the arrangements. It is certainly very rewarding to cosleep, none of us
would have it any other way. Just keep looking at your arrangements and
try to think constructively about how to make things as safe as
possible, as opposed to worrying yourself to pieces. Part of the point
of it with a newborn is so you can get more rest, afterall, not an
anxiety attack!

I think statistically the problems happen in situations where people are
not conscientious about what they are doing and going to bed with a baby
under the influence or in an unsafe bedding situation into which the
baby was thrust for lack of other options due to financial constraint,
etc. You are making a conscious, informed choice and making the
situation as safe as you can. Trust your instinct to guide through both
the day and the night.

-Karen, mom to Henry 3 3/4 and someone due 4/24/04-

Old April 14th 04, 05:06 AM
Nikki

Carol Ann wrote:
How long were you able to use yours?

Do you recommend any other type of co sleeping bed?

I've never used one. I've slept with both of mine. I've never once had a
frightening experience with it. The only time that scared me was before I
could figure out nursing while side-lying. I fell asleep sitting up in bed
nursing Hunter and he slipped down with is face towards my stomach. I
always just nursed and slept with them right there in the crook of my arm.
Once Luke was old enough to roll he generally moved away from me a little
bit but Hunter always stayed right there.

My feeling and experience is that you will not even come close to rolling on
your baby if you are not under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or
medication. You should also keep the area clear of other hazards like
overly big and heavy blankets and pillows or really mushy mattresses. I
used a pillow and one blanket pulled up to my waist. I had to sleep in long
sleeves though to stay warm. That was the hardest part of co-sleeping for
me because I was used to sleeping under ten tons of blankets pulled up to my
neck.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Snuggle Nest Question Carol Ann Pregnancy 3 April 14th 04 02:02 AM
Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 03:23 PM
And again he strikes........ Doan strikes ...... again! was Kids should work... Kane General 2 December 6th 03 03:28 AM