Would volunteering be a conflict?

Old May 28th 04, 03:21 PM
beeswing

Default Would volunteering be a conflict?

x-no-archive: yes

Marjorie wrote:

Folks, when someone puts X-no-archive: Yes at the top of their posts, they
are asking you to please NOT copy their post when you respond because they
do not want their posts archived on Google.

Thanks for stating this. I do appreciate it. Most folks don't know what no
archive means.

Now, on to my response. I volunteer at our local elementary school library
once every other week and none of my kids attended this school or will be
attending it. I also volunteer with a much older friend whose kids didn't go
there and whose grandkids didn't attend there. We've never had any issue
from the parents or the school staff about not being part of the school
family.

My kids attend middle school and there aren't any opportunities for parents
to volunteer there. Since I don't work on Fridays, it seems to me that I had
time to give to an elementary school and I asked if I could help out.
They're happy to have me (and all the other volunteers) and I don't think
they'd even care if I had an ulterior motive. They need the help.

Yeah, after I thought about it, I really couldn't see a downside to offering,
as long as I was open about us considering the school. They were asking for
professional skills I happened to have...they may not be crawling with
volunteers with similar skills. They haven't gotten back to me, so on the other
hand, perhaps they are. It's year-end and maybe the team doesn't meet in the
summer. At least I offered.

BTW, closer to home, I just volunteered to help chaperone a field trip next
Wednesday. I'm psyched! The kids are going to a local park to observe a minus
tide, and the school asked for as many parents as they could get to go along. I
thought it sounded like great fun and was happy to volunteer.

beeswing

Old May 30th 04, 02:37 AM
beeswing

Kevin Karplus wrote:

Ahh, but in many newsreaders, including the one I use, most of the
header fields are not shown. If someone wants not to be quoted, they
should make that explicit in the message. If they *really* want not
to be quoted, they should not post to a newsgroup.

Just a few quick comments on this, for what it's worth:

My post was marked "x-no-archive: yes" on the top line of the post, not in
the headers. Given that I use AOL -- no cracks necesssary -- I
don't have access to the header fields. So the tag can be seen by anyone,
no matter what newsreader they use. While I retain a hope that folks might
honor it, if they happen to know what it is, I have no real expectation.

I apologize, Kevin. I just learned through someone who wrote me privately
(thanks!) that the x-no-archive: yes tag doesn't show up in all newsreaders,
even though I put it as the first line of the text and not in the headers. I've
used the tag for years (for certain situations) and yet I didn't know that. I'm
always happy to learn things.

beeswing

Old June 9th 04, 03:32 AM
Kia

I say go ahead and volunteer and increase your daughter's chances of
getting in. Private school can be very competitive and depending on
where you live, public school may not be a viable option, as with us.
If a security issue comes up, in the state of Pennsylvania you can
send off for your criminal and child abuse clearances for $10 each.
Teachers here are required to obtain them. They probably have
something similar in your state allowing anyone who is around children
clearance. I couldn't imagine it being that big of an issue to
volunteer, but you never know. It is a small effort to take and it
would be one step done in the event you want to work with children in
the future.

Hope this helps.

Kia

"Donna Metler" wrote in message ...
"beeswing" wrote in message
x-no-archive: yes

There's a private school locally that I wouldn't mind supporting, and

they've
listed that they need volunteers, including committee members for a

committee
I'd be interested in. I wouldn't mind volunteering the time, but it is

true
that we're likely to want to apply to the school next year and the school

has
more applicants than it does openings. Would it be perceived as a conflict

of
interest (or a faux pas, even) on my part to volunteer for the committee?

wouldn't want to do it if they would see it as me as solely trying to tip

the
scales in favor of my daughter. (On the other hand, it wouldn't break my

heart
if it *did* tip the scales, I have to admit...but that wouldn't be my

primary
motivation.) Any thoughts?

beeswing

Actually, this is the kind of thing which is suggested to do if you're
planning to apply for a job at a school-public or private. So often, these
things come down to several equally qualified candidates, and the one who
knows someone gets the nod. If you're truly interested-and if you expect to
be able to continue volunteering once your child is in school, I'd say go
for it.