Two broken arms :-O

Old September 6th 03, 12:31 PM
Cathy Kearns

Default Update (Good news!) was Two broken arms :-O

Wow, see how different the regions are. Here they won't even
let the U8 girls wear barrettes, too hard, too dangerous.

"Robyn Kozierok" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Cathy Kearns wrote:

and the risk of him bopping someone else with a
cast. They don't let kids with casts play in the middle or high school
leagues for this reason.

This is where it starts affecting everyone else. Now
other kids could get hurt.

Here in the US any league that would let a kid with casts
even practice would have their liability insurance pulled.

His league doesn't appear to have any rules
on it, but I think we are going to have him go to practice and work
drills (if he is able to enjoy it) but not scrimmage or play in the
games. But as noted, at least soccer is fairly well suited to a kid
with incapacitated arms

Good luck to his coach. I coach young girls (under 10, AYSO)
and I wouldn't let a child with a cast practice with my team.
There are very few drills we run that aren't contact drills.

These guys are essentially U8 (2nd and 3rd graders) and they run lots
of non-contact drills: dribbling, passing, shooting, etc. In addition,
they frequently have a couple of drills going at one time, so as long
as there is one non-contact drill among them, Matthew can just avoid
the unsafe drills. I spoke to his coach and she is enthusiastic to
have him do what he can with the team, and willing to try to accomodate
him by, for example, trying to have some non-contact practicing he
can do during most of the practice time.

They could accidently bean another child with their cast,
and that wouldn't be fair to the others on the team.
Soccer is accident prone enough without throwing
hard objects in there.

No one has any intention of putting him in a situation where
he could put other kids in danger.

--Robyn

Review: Broken Wings (**) Steve Rhodes General 0 April 23rd 04 12:17 AM
Arms & Sockets Corinne General 0 August 15th 03 12:53 PM
Arms & Sockets Corinne General 0 August 15th 03 12:53 PM