Unable to breastfeed

Old April 14th 04, 12:06 AM
Laura & Bella

Default Unable to breastfeed

Dena thank you so much. I have a big enough incision and if she kicks the
pillow I am sure I will manage to feel it some way.
I cant wait for the pain to go and somehow get back to my old self.

laura

"Mike and Dena" wrote in message
Maybe try putting a small pillow between you when you are laying down,

like
a sofa-throw pillow. This is how my sister breastfed her beby after
csection, and after surgery to remove gallbladder. Baby can still kick
pillow! Not as snuggly this way, bu tmay be a temporary solution.

Hopefully
your pain will lessen within a week or so, and you can slowly try other
positions again. Hope this helps, and sending speedy recovery vibes!!
Dena, mommy to
Melissa 6.9.94,
^Matthew^ 4.23thru27.99,
Hailey 6.11.01, and
Zachary 8.20.03
"Laura & Bella" wrote in message
.. .
I just had surgery a few days ago and I am looking at a 4-6 week

recovery.
am in pain all the time it seems and on meds to help with it, but I find

cannot seem to nurse Bella at all. I try despite how uncomfortable I am,

but
I cannot keep it up, as much as I would like. I tried feeding her laying
down. Shes a squirmer and a wiggler and she kicks me, and I cannot have

her
doing that. Sitting up right now and feeding her that was is next to
impossible. As I am on as most bed rest for the 1st week or 2 that I can
get. She wont take the bottle. She does have her sippy cup. If we try

any
type of formula she will not take it, she does not drink milk, soy milk

,
any kind of milk. She drinks some water and some watered down juice, but

not
alot. Her 10 oz juice cup will last her all day.

I am not sure what I can do. She wants to be breastfeed and its so hard
knowing I cannot do it. I have tried pumping and well, its not working

at
all.

Laura

Old April 14th 04, 12:21 AM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

Usually the worst pain after surgery is in the first week post-op. Keep
trying to give your baby ANY fluids you can get into her, and keep an
eye on her hydration level. Fluids, by the way, can include fluidy
solids, like melons or sorbet, whatever you can get into her.

Sure, she'll be cranky that she doesn't get to nurse, but it won't be
too long before you can get back to it. As long as she stays well
hydrated and well nourished, then just try to get through it.

Is there someone taking care of her for you just now? I HOPE so!
Nursing isn't the only thing a 14-month old needs, and many of those
needs are impossible to meet while abed. (I'm thinking of all the
chasing of small people I used to do ...)

Good luck,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old April 14th 04, 12:54 AM
Laura & Bella

I did not have a c-section, my daughter is 14 months old

Laura

"Cat" wrote in message
. dk...
"Laura & Bella" skrev i en meddelelse
.. .
Brigitte I have a hard time trying to sit up. I lie down alot, usually

on
my back, getting onto my side hurts way to much. If i can get into a

semi
sitting position I cannot stay like it for too long Not long enough

feed her. I could try the football hold and see how she does with that.
Thanks Brigitte..I will try just about anything right now that
works..otherwise I have one cranky baby here in this house.

It will be better in a day or two - can't you take some kind of pain meds?

I remember when having c-secs (twice) that the first two-three days were
horrible, but then it got better.

Tine, Denmark