Saw a Woman

Old April 14th 04, 04:33 PM
nina

Default Saw a Woman

"badgirl" wrote in message
news:87afc.37430$rg5.64776@attbi_s52...

"Shannon G" wrote in message
news:cD2fc.8065$c%3.7970@okepread02...

"badgirl" wrote in message
news:5%%ec.31367$xn4.74849@attbi_s51...
in the grocery store tonight. She was paying for a case an a half

of
Similac with WIC coupons. This just depresses me. I REALLY think

the
state should be spending it's money on BF classes instead of

paying
for formula for healthy women.
I asked how old the baby was, in hopes that maybe it was young

enough
I could at least *try* to give the pro bf speech, but it was 4

months
old, way too late IMO unless someone was *extremely* determined to
relactate.

While I do think it is my responsibility to encourage mommas who bf,

certainly do not think it's my right to condemn those who do not.

Nor, do I
have the right to give the pro-bf speech unless it was brought up

"politely"
in a conversation. You have NO IDEA what her situation might be

(other than
22 and "healthy, all made up, hair done, etc.")

You're right, I had no idea what her situation was. Which is why I
only asked the baby's age and nothing else.

Puleeze. How do you know
she wasn't caring for her sister's baby while she was in the

hospital
fighting cancer and going through chemo and radiation?

Because you can't use someone else's WIC coupons here, you have to
show ID to prove they're yours'

If you are the guardian of a child that is not yours you can get WIC for
that child.
IF you are the 2nd pickup person you can also pickup WIC for the recipient
if they have authorized it.

If the baby was adopted she wouldn't be getting WIC.

Why? Foster kids get WIC and other benefits. Sometimes people who arent rich
DO adopt kids,
maybe they were foster parents, or a relative had problems and couldnt keep
the baby but the wanted
the kid to stay in the family. Gee whiz girl, give it a break.

No wonder pro-bf advocates get a bad rap for being so militant.
Let's get off our high horses. My $.02.

Shannon

Look, I asked the girl how old the baby was and kept my opinoins to
myself. So don't go accusing me of giving pro bf advocates a *bad rap*

You are.

Old April 14th 04, 04:34 PM
nina

"badgirl" wrote in message

"Carol Ann" wrote in message
in the grocery store tonight. She was paying for a case an a half

of
Similac with WIC coupons. This just depresses me. I REALLY think

the
state should be spending it's money on BF classes instead of

paying
for formula for healthy women.
I asked how old the baby was, in hopes that maybe it was young

enough
I could at least *try* to give the pro bf speech, but it was 4

months
old, way too late IMO unless someone was *extremely* determined to
relactate. If the baby was 2 weeks or younger I don't know what I
would have said, but I would have tried.
I totally understand when mothers need to use formula because of
illness or something like that, but this girl I saw (she couldn't

have
been older than 22) was healthy, all made up, hair done etc.

*yet another sigh*

The question I have is: Is she employed? If not, she should be
breastfeeding.
IMHO.

~Carol Ann

That's how I feel. Who knows if she is working though, I didn't ask
her. If she is though, it isn't much because she wouldn't qualify for
WIC coupons with a full time job.

Bull****. In Colorado you qualify for WIC if your income is 180% of the
poverty level for your family size.

Old April 14th 04, 04:35 PM
nina

"badgirl" wrote in message

"nina" wrote in message

"badgirl" wrote in message
in the grocery store tonight. She was paying for a case an a half

of
Similac with WIC coupons. This just depresses me. I REALLY think

the
state should be spending it's money on BF classes instead of

paying
for formula for healthy women.

They do,

Not here...my sister tried to find some when she had her baby and
there was nothing she could take without paying either cash or having
it covered on insurance...which it wasn't on State insurance either.
Pretty messed up if you ask me. Almost like not giving them a chance
to bf in the first place.

Most health departments offer them free. What state are you in.