Biparietal Diameter / 20 week scan

Old January 30th 07, 09:55 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
alath

Default Biparietal Diameter / 20 week scan

On Jan 30, 12:45 pm, "per_sonal via FamilyKB.com" u31231@uwe wrote:
alath wrote:
What was the gestational age when the scan was done?

19 weeks and 5 days

This is starting to look more and more like nothing to me.

You expected to be 19.5 weeks. You got a bunch of measurements in the
18-19 week range, and one that corresponds to approximately 17.5
weeks. The margin of error for a midtrimester ultrasound is +/- 10-14
days, so all these numbers are well within the margin of error.

If you did not have an early dating ultrasound at 8-12 weeks, it is
possible you may be slightly off on your dates. Remember, menstural
dating assumes a clockwork-regular 28 day cycle with ovulation on day
14. Unless you're a clock, those assumptions may not be valid.

Also, it is possible that the baby is slightly smaller than average -
although still within the range of normal. Remember, ultrasound
measurement norms are based on averages. Do you know anyone who has
slightly shorter legs than other people? Someone who is a little tall?
Someone whose head is a bit large, or a bit rounder than usual? If you
did biometry on everyone you know, you'd find very few who exactly
match the textbook proportions. Only when the measurments are very
extremely abnormal would you suspect some kind of pathology.

Unless there is more to this story that we are not hearing, I do not
expect to see major problems arise from these findings.

Old February 1st 07, 02:06 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
sylviafrances

Hi per_sonal, I hope this repsonse works...I just joined so I can be part of
this discussion because this is EXACTLY what happened to me!!! I am now 32
weeks but my 21 week u/s showed that the BPD measurement was 2 weeks behind,
or measuring just below the 5th percentile. Other measurements were on the
small side but within the norm, I believe around teh 10-25th percentile. It
freaked me out and I ran for a 2nd opinion, got some relief--my original dr
scared the heck out of me!-- and my midwife seemed okay with the measurements
because a doppler showed that the placenta was just fine and that would have
been her concern. In the meantime I have had 3 u/s and have read so much on
the internet. I have also several fetal biometric charts on had, etc and
would really like to exchange info, thoughts and ideas. Just let me know of
you are interested. My email is sylviafrances(at)gmail(dot)come. I really
hope to hear from you!
Sylvia

per_sonal wrote:
No one at the hospital really took us through the report. We had the scan and
she asked us to wait in the waiting area while she prepared the numbers and
did the report.

Then she gave us the report and didnt look worried but said that she wanted
to see us in 2-3 weeks time as the growth of the baby looked on the small
side, so they just wanted to monitor it.

But when I showed my midwife the report, she looked more concerned and said
that hopefully the baby will catch up, but she didnt want to tell me what the
possiblities could be (good or bad) as anything could happen.

So 2 very different expressions. Which is why it worried us even more, in
case the hospital werent telling us anything more without further
investigation.

Did they give you any indication of what this might mean? Did they tell you
the numbers, or did you just read them from the u/s report? Did they tell

[quoted text clipped - 14 lines]

Many thanks...

Old February 1st 07, 03:18 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
sylviafrances

Hi alath,
I was told that at 20 weeks one couldn't say that a smaller BPD and hence a
head with a dolichozephal (spelling...?) is way to early to say. I have
heard that the BPD can be narrow and effect head shape (and not volume) and
hence the term "breech head" only in the 3rd trimester. Am I off on this..?
Also wouldn't a small BPD automatically effect the HC and make it smaller...?

Can you pleasetell me what you think of these measurements: I have compared
them to different fetal growth charts and I get differing centiles:

22 weeks: BPD 48, HC 182.1 AC 158.5
26 weeks: BPD 59.8, HC 225.2 AC190

I appreciate any thoughts or imputs you might have. Thanks in advance!
Sylvia

alath wrote:
137mm AC is 50th percentile for 19 weeks gestational age
158mm HC is 50th percentile for 18.5 weeks gestational age

- from these, I am assuming you were somewhere between 18.5 and 19.0
weeks at the time the scan was done (since you didn't mention them
saying these numbers were out of the expected range).

A BPD of 39mm at 18.5-19 weeks is going to be roughly 15th percentile.

This is not actually an abnormal measurement, but it is proportionally
smaller than the other measurements.

If the overall head size (HC) is normal but the BPD is small, that
does not suggest microcephaly or other anomalies associated with
grossly abnormal brain development. In these cases, the HC and BPD are
BOTH very small, usually less than 5th percentile.

Small BPD with normal HC suggests a normal head size, but a slightly
elongated head shape. This is very often found when the fetus is in
breech position - in which case it means nothing. Remember the fetal
head is flexible and can be compressed in certain positions and
there's nothing wrong with that.

There are some skull development abnormalities - synostoses and
dysostoses - that can result in very extremely elongated or otherwise
abnormal head shapes. At 19 weeks, it is really too early to be
picking these things up. Also, in these cases, the numbers are very
much more abnormal than the numbers you are quoting. I rather doubt
this is what is going on with your baby, but your providers are
scanning you serially just to make sure the baby's measurements
continue to grow normally.

Old February 1st 07, 03:24 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
sylviafrances

Hi again,
This is another place I get confused. I have 2 different fetal measurement
charts and for example for 20 weeks one says for the BPD 49mm and the other
says 47mm. The descrepancy varies depending on which week. For example some
differences are 4mm for one given week. I suppose this means that at the end.
..40 weeks there should be a different "norm".
Sylvia

Old February 3rd 07, 10:15 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
sylviafrances via FamilyKB.com

Is any one around who posted here before...?

sylviafrances wrote:
Hi again,
This is another place I get confused. I have 2 different fetal measurement
charts and for example for 20 weeks one says for the BPD 49mm and the other
says 47mm. The descrepancy varies depending on which week. For example some
differences are 4mm for one given week. I suppose this means that at the end.
..40 weeks there should be a different "norm".
Sylvia

137mm AC is 50th percentile for 19 weeks gestational age
158mm HC is 50th percentile for 18.5 weeks gestational age

[quoted text clipped - 27 lines]