OT - getting out of Jury Duty

Old October 15th 04, 07:31 PM
Nan

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 18:33:48 GMT, "firedancer623"
scribbled:

Is it possible? Any good tips how? I got a questionnaire which basically
qualified me with a note saying something along the lines of "you will be
summoned within the next year" My husband works 40 miles away, I have no
childcare (all family lives hours away) and all my usual baby sitters either
work or are in school all day. Oh, and Im still nursing Xander. Right on the
questionnaire it said that needing childcare, transportation or work reasons
did not qualify to reject you. What crap!!!

Some states will allow at least a one-time exemption if you're
nursing, but that's not guaranteed.

I really really don't want to serve but if I get summoned, I will do
whatever I can to NOT serve.

How about going to jail? That will guarantee not having to serve for
that term.

Please no reponses how it's my duty as a US
citizen, heh, I've wanted to leave this country for years now (can't
convince dh)

Sorry, but it is your duty as long as you're living here. I don't
have much sympathy for anyone that has your attitude about it.

Nan

Old October 15th 04, 07:33 PM
firedancer623

Default OT - getting out of Jury Duty

Is it possible? Any good tips how? I got a questionnaire which basically
qualified me with a note saying something along the lines of "you will be
summoned within the next year" My husband works 40 miles away, I have no
childcare (all family lives hours away) and all my usual baby sitters either
work or are in school all day. Oh, and Im still nursing Xander. Right on the
questionnaire it said that needing childcare, transportation or work reasons
did not qualify to reject you. What crap!!!

I really really don't want to serve but if I get summoned, I will do
whatever I can to NOT serve. Please no reponses how it's my duty as a US
citizen, heh, I've wanted to leave this country for years now (can't
convince dh)

Thanks,

Kari
mom to Kaylie, Noah and Xander

Old October 15th 04, 07:51 PM
Harley Davidson

"firedancer623" wrote in message
Is it possible? Any good tips how? I got a questionnaire which basically
qualified me with a note saying something along the lines of "you will be
summoned within the next year" My husband works 40 miles away, I have no
childcare (all family lives hours away) and all my usual baby sitters

either
work or are in school all day. Oh, and Im still nursing Xander. Right on

the
questionnaire it said that needing childcare, transportation or work

reasons
did not qualify to reject you. What crap!!!

I really really don't want to serve but if I get summoned, I will do
whatever I can to NOT serve. Please no reponses how it's my duty as a US
citizen, heh, I've wanted to leave this country for years now (can't
convince dh)

It's not that bad, really. It's usually just a half day, and chances are you
won't even get picked. And you'll have plenty of time to secure child care.
If you do get picked, you have another questionnaire to fill out, then the
attorneys have their chance to ask questions. Something tells me that if you
get this far, your attitude will exempt you. No offense, just calling it as
I see it.

So it's really not even a full day out of your life. And even though you
don't want to live here, you do and you can't change the rules. You can
choose to see it as a big huge inconvenience, or you can choose to see it as
a chance to have a few hours away from the routine and catch up on some
reading or some correspondence.

Harley

Old October 15th 04, 08:22 PM
firedancer623

"Nan" wrote in message
news
[...]

I've always wondered about that. Sure I know it's a possibility but I've
never heard of anyone going to jail for refusing.

Please no reponses how it's my duty as a US
citizen, heh, I've wanted to leave this country for years now (can't
convince dh)

Sorry, but it is your duty as long as you're living here. I don't
have much sympathy for anyone that has your attitude about it.

That's fine. It's just one of the many reasons I don't feel our freedom is
really *free*

Old October 15th 04, 08:30 PM
firedancer623

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
firedancer623 wrote:

Is it possible? Any good tips how? I got a questionnaire which basically
qualified me with a note saying something along the lines of "you will be
summoned within the next year" My husband works 40 miles away, I have no
childcare (all family lives hours away) and all my usual baby sitters
either work or are in school all day. Oh, and Im still nursing Xander.
Right on the questionnaire it said that needing childcare, transportation
or work reasons did not qualify to reject you. What crap!!!

Nursing will sometimes get you a delay.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Thanks Ericka. I think I remember reading that on a thread posted here
awhile back. I didn't know if that would work as a delay because of his age.

Old October 15th 04, 09:16 PM
newfy.1

"firedancer623" wrote in message

Please no reponses how it's my duty as a US
citizen, heh, I've wanted to leave this country for years now (can't
convince dh)

Well, then I guess I can't comment...seriously though, you get the summons
very far in advance. I cannot imagine that a person can't find ANY childcare
in the time that passes when you receive the summons to the time that the
date comes up.

Here in CT you can delay your duty once for one whole year. That's pretty
generous, IMO. Also, a good amount of people do get dismissed just over the
phone and that counts as your duty. I know I delayed mine for a year then
"served" by being dismissed over the phone the day before.

JennP.

Old October 15th 04, 09:28 PM
firedancer623

"newfy.1" wrote in message

"firedancer623" wrote in message

Please no reponses how it's my duty as a US
citizen, heh, I've wanted to leave this country for years now (can't
convince dh)

Well, then I guess I can't comment...seriously though, you get the summons
very far in advance. I cannot imagine that a person can't find ANY
childcare
in the time that passes when you receive the summons to the time that the
date comes up.

That's good to know. For some reason, I was under the impression that I'd
get a summons and then have to start the next week. If I had to, I could
have my mom come up for a few days and hopefully that would be enough time
otherwise, my husband would probably have to take personal time off work.

Here in CT you can delay your duty once for one whole year. That's pretty
generous, IMO. Also, a good amount of people do get dismissed just over
the
phone and that counts as your duty. I know I delayed mine for a year then
"served" by being dismissed over the phone the day before.

Well I have a few medical issues which I've heard can also cause a dismissal
since one is anxiety related. If that isn't enough, in combination with the
SAHM w/no childcare then I suppose I will have to figure out. I highly doubt
I'll get chosen because, as noted in the first post, I dont hold much regard
for our government and the judicial system. Im sure that will come across if
I make it that far.

Old October 15th 04, 10:09 PM
GoofeeGyrl

Is it possible? Any good tips how?

This summer I got notified that I was being asked to serve on a jury. There
were some choices on the back for dismissal, and one option was being a full
time primary caregiver to another person. I checked that, and had to give an
explanation (stay at home mom to preschool aged kids) and was dismissed for a
year. Nursing mother of an infant was another option.

Linda
Mommy to Sophie.3.5 years
and Eva, 13 months