Question for Moms: Pack N Play, Breast Pump, Bottles

Old March 2nd 04, 02:20 AM
Carol Ann

Default Question for Moms: Pack N Play, Breast Pump, Bottles

I have a bassinet and crib.

The crib goes in her nursery. The bassinet can be used either in MY room or
in the Living Room (where my mother sleeps on a futon. Her choice!!). I
was thinking about getting the 5 in 1 Pack N Play that has the full sized
bassinet AND changing table.

What do you think? I read good reviews on it.

http://store.babycenter.com/product/...IIQ?sku=201390

Also, I'm thinking I would REALLY like an electric breast pump. Here's the
one I'm looking at:

http://store.babycenter.com/product/...IIQ?sku=200546

The question is, do I REALLY need the breast pump? I'm just not sure. If
I'm here to breast feed, is it necessary? I don't want to use a manual pump
AT ALL!

Another question: If I'm breastfeeding, why do I get bottles? I'm so
confused.

Thanks in advance, for your help!

~ Carol Ann

Old March 2nd 04, 02:28 AM
Shena Delian O'Brien

Carol Ann wrote:

The question is, do I REALLY need the breast pump? I'm just not sure. If
I'm here to breast feed, is it necessary? I don't want to use a manual pump
AT ALL!

Are you going to be there to breast feed 24/7 for a full year (or for
however long you breast feed)? I think it's safe to say, a breast pump
is going to be needed at some point.

Another question: If I'm breastfeeding, why do I get bottles? I'm so
confused.

Your child may get sick and need some pedialyte at some point?

Old March 2nd 04, 02:42 AM
toypup

"Carol Ann" wrote in message
I have a bassinet and crib.

The crib goes in her nursery. The bassinet can be used either in MY room

or
in the Living Room (where my mother sleeps on a futon. Her choice!!). I
was thinking about getting the 5 in 1 Pack N Play that has the full sized
bassinet AND changing table.

What do you think? I read good reviews on it.

We use our playpen as a portable crib when travelling. It didn't get used
at all the first year we had it, except to store bedding. But it has been
useful for car trips to friend's houses.

Also, I'm thinking I would REALLY like an electric breast pump. Here's

the
one I'm looking at:

http://store.babycenter.com/product/...IIQ?sku=200546

That's a good one.

The question is, do I REALLY need the breast pump? I'm just not sure. If
I'm here to breast feed, is it necessary? I don't want to use a manual

pump
AT ALL!

It may come in handy for when/if you work, or if you plan to go out for the
evening. Babies often BF frequently, at least in the early months and
during growth spurts. If you want to go out for more than half an hour
during cluster feeding time, you'll want to have something for the baby.
The babysitter does not usually have boobs filled with milk, so you will
need to pump or supplement.

Another question: If I'm breastfeeding, why do I get bottles? I'm so
confused.

You'll need them for the milk you pump for when you go out without your
baby.

Old March 2nd 04, 02:50 AM

"Carol Ann" wrote in message
I have a bassinet and crib.

The crib goes in her nursery. The bassinet can be used either in MY room

or
in the Living Room (where my mother sleeps on a futon. Her choice!!). I
was thinking about getting the 5 in 1 Pack N Play that has the full sized
bassinet AND changing table.

What do you think? I read good reviews on it.

http://store.babycenter.com/product/...IIQ?sku=201390

I'm not a mom, but I am an aunt! My SIL has one of these and brought it to
our house when we babysat for a weekend to use as a crib. It worked really
well, seems to be of good quality construction, and must have been comfy
'cause she slept really well.

Also, I'm thinking I would REALLY like an electric breast pump. Here's

the
one I'm looking at:

http://store.babycenter.com/product/...IIQ?sku=200546

The question is, do I REALLY need the breast pump? I'm just not sure. If
I'm here to breast feed, is it necessary? I don't want to use a manual

pump
AT ALL!

Another question: If I'm breastfeeding, why do I get bottles? I'm so
confused.

Thanks in advance, for your help!

~ Carol Ann

Like I said, not a mom, but I just wanted to say, whatever you do, don't do
a yahoo search for "breast pump rent". I tried it to get some info on
renting vs. buying, and the vast majority of hits were porn! why put porn
under breast pump rentals? weird...

Amy

Old March 2nd 04, 02:52 AM
New York Jen

Also, I'm thinking I would REALLY like an electric breast pump. Here's

the
one I'm looking at:

http://store.babycenter.com/product/...IIQ?sku=200546

The question is, do I REALLY need the breast pump? I'm just not sure. If
I'm here to breast feed, is it necessary? I don't want to use a manual

pump
AT ALL!

What's wrong with a manual pump? I purchased an electric Medela pump, which
was loud and painful to use, and yielded very little milk. I had heard
wonderful things about the Avent Isis manual pump and invested in that one,
it was SO much better. I had control of the suction and it was quiet and
much more comfortable to use.

I only pumped at first to give DH a turn to feed the baby, but that only
happened once and then we both realized that breastfeeding was just better.
I was also paranoid about if I ever *had* to be out of the house for an
emergency situation and didn't want my son going with nothing to eat. I
always had a few ounces of breastmilk in the freezer for that occasion
(which never came up). Also, once he started cereal I used the breastmilk
to moisten it instead of formula or juice or water. We didn't really use
bottles much until he was older.

- Jen

Old March 2nd 04, 03:17 AM
Chotii

"Shena Delian O'Brien" wrote in message
Carol Ann wrote:

The question is, do I REALLY need the breast pump? I'm just not sure.

If
I'm here to breast feed, is it necessary? I don't want to use a manual

pump
AT ALL!

Are you going to be there to breast feed 24/7 for a full year (or for
however long you breast feed)? I think it's safe to say, a breast pump
is going to be needed at some point.

Not necessarily. I hand-expressed about 15 oz of milk back when Gwendolyn
was a newborn. It's still in the freezer, reaching the end of its useful
life. This has not stopped me from going out (taking the baby) or going out
(leaving the baby with daddy immediately after a feed, gone for up to 3
hours). He has never actually had to feed her, although he once had a bottle
ready and didn't use it (the day I had my Essure/sterilization procedure
done).

Another question: If I'm breastfeeding, why do I get bottles? I'm so
confused.

Your child may get sick and need some pedialyte at some point?

Breastmilk is better for a baby than Pedialyte. Breastmilk is medically
considered a clear fluid. And it tastes better (and is thus more likely to
be consumed) - have you ever tasted Pedialyte? It's naaaaasty.

I don't know. My older daughters carry bottles around and drink water out of
them because...I have no idea why, none of them really ever had bottles as
babies. The baby has never had one. The only thing I use them for is for
storing Victoria's blenderized liquid food. Which I hope Carol Ann will
never have to deal with.

The truth is, you will probably not *ever* truly *need* a bottle, provided
you can get breastfeeding solidly established, and provided you do not need
to be away from the baby during feeding times. You may WANT some. They do
make good toys, anyway.

--angela

Old March 2nd 04, 03:21 AM
alissa

"Carol Ann" wrote in message
[...]

Unless you live miles from shops then I'd hold off on the pump, or for

some reason you plan on having someone else feed the baby frequently a
manual pump will be enough.( oh I just read you don't like them....any
reason?) They are quuiet compared to an electric one.If you find later you
need one then go and get one, you may never need it. I found my avent isis
as good and more comvienient than the electric one I hired form a chemist
shop. Much easier to lug around of I had to pump away from home.
As for the play pen/ change table... unless you do alot of travelling or
will be spending alot of time at other peoples houses not nessesary. I have
an simple travel cot with no change table set up at my mums house ( over
100klms away) as she minds DD 2 days a week for me, we just use a towel on
the floor or bed to change her.My DD sleeps much longer in her travel cot
and loves it.
As for bottles maybe just have 1 or 2 on standby for if someone has to feed
the baby for you in an emergency, you can always get more later if you need
them.
Its fun buying all the stuff first time round, you will find though with
gifts and such you'll end up with too much stuff..at least there is ebay for
when your finished with it all.
Alissa

Old March 2nd 04, 03:22 AM
DeliciousTruffles

New York Jen wrote:

Also, once he started cereal I used the breastmilk
to moisten it instead of formula or juice or water.

This is my plan with the milk I've pumped so far. I'm freezing in 60-ml
(2-ounce) quantities and I've now 1.2 litres in the freezer. :-)

--
Brigitte aa #2145
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...elected=782084

~ Harriet Martineau

Old March 2nd 04, 03:32 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Carol Ann wrote:

Also, I'm thinking I would REALLY like an electric breast pump. Here's the
one I'm looking at:

http://store.babycenter.com/product/...IIQ?sku=200546

The question is, do I REALLY need the breast pump? I'm just not sure. If
I'm here to breast feed, is it necessary? I don't want to use a manual pump
AT ALL!

Another question: If I'm breastfeeding, why do I get bottles? I'm so
confused.

You only need bottles if you're going to feed your
baby formula or EBM. Given that you're going to be around
most of the time, I can't fathom why you'd want to spend so
much more money on the PIS rather than just getting the
Avent Isis. It would more than do the job for a *lot*
less money. What is it about a manual pump that you don't
like? I think it's much more convenient to have something
that's totally cleanable (and sterilizable) and that doesn't
need batteries. For the amount of pumping I do (not much),
I'd rather get the Isis and spend the extra money somewhere
else! Frankly, there's not that much difference in using
a manual pump vs. an electric one (and sometimes it's nice
with the manual pump that it's essentially infinitely
adjustable in terms of speed and suction).
As far as whether you need one, that's a very personal
choice. Even if you're exclusively breastfeeding, some would
say it's handy to have a pump on hand for engorgement (to
relieve the engorgement slightly either for your comfort
or to make it easier for the baby to latch on). If that's
all you want to do with it, I *sure* as heck wouldn't spend
the money on the PIS!
Beyond that, the only reason you need a pump is to
express milk to feed the baby. There are a couple of reasons
you might want to do that:

1) Heaven forbid something happens and you are unavailable
for some period of time (illness, injury, etc.).
2) You need or want to be away from your baby more than
an exclusive breastfeeding relationship will permit
and therefore someone else needs to be able to feed
the baby.

It's worth spending a little time thinking about this. If
you want the option to give the occasional bottle in the
future, you should probably offer the first bottle in 4-6
weeks, assuming breastfeeding is going well. Otherwise,
there are decent odds that the baby will refuse the bottle
and just won't ever take one, which means you'll have to
be there for every single feeding. Personally, I'm around
for the overwhelming majority of feedings, but after a few
months I start occasionally wanting to do something here or
there sans baby that takes long enough that someone else
will need to feed the baby. I find it nice to have the
flexibility to be able to do that, so I make it a priority
to introduce a bottle early enough that there's a high
likelihood of success (and then I've always been able to
keep the baby "in practice" with only a bottle or two a
week after that). Other people don't mind being always
on call, but to me, a year or so is a loooooong time
to never be away for more than an hour or two ;-) Since
I'd rather not introduce formula in the early months,
that means having a pump to express milk. (Actually, some
women get very adept at manual expression, but I've never
had good luck with that.)

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old March 2nd 04, 04:03 AM
Vicky Bilaniuk

V wrote:

Like I said, not a mom, but I just wanted to say, whatever you do, don't do
a yahoo search for "breast pump rent". I tried it to get some info on
renting vs. buying, and the vast majority of hits were porn! why put porn
under breast pump rentals? weird...

Most search engines allow you to put quotes around words that you
definitely want grouped together. Next time, try putting quotes around
breast pump, and that will probably make a HUGE difference. (unless
you're using Google, which has gone downhill in some ways over the past
couple of years)

Another child killed in kincare Kane General 39 February 12th 04 07:55 PM
Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 04:23 PM
| | Kids should work... Kane General 13 December 10th 03 03:30 AM
Kids should work. LaVonne Carlson General 22 December 7th 03 05:27 AM
And again he strikes........ Doan strikes ...... again! was Kids should work... Kane General 2 December 6th 03 04:28 AM