7 yr old eating problems

Old March 14th 05, 05:52 PM
Johnniec

Default 7 yr old eating problems

My 7 yr. old was eating a taco salad at school during lunch, and choked
on one of the chips. It was stuck in this throat for a few seconds,
then he choked it out. It scared the heck out of him. I happened to
have be there with him when it happened, although I didn't realize it
was happening until just before it was over.

Now he has a fear of choking. He chooses his food based on whether he
thinks he could choke on it. He eats very slowly now. He has lost
weight. He was actually a bit overweight before, so he looks fit now. I
suspect that is why others haven't really noticed this problem he is
having.

This has been going on now for a few weeks. I would like advice on how
to help him get over this fear.

Thanks.

Old March 15th 05, 01:11 AM
Peggy Tatyana

"Johnniec" wrote:

My 7 yr. old was eating a taco salad at school during lunch, and

choked
on one of the chips. It was stuck in this throat for a few seconds,
then he choked it out. It scared the heck out of him. I happened to
have be there with him when it happened, although I didn't realize it
was happening until just before it was over.

Now he has a fear of choking. He chooses his food based on whether he
thinks he could choke on it. He eats very slowly now. He has lost
weight. He was actually a bit overweight before, so he looks fit now.

suspect that is why others haven't really noticed this problem he is
having.

This has been going on now for a few weeks. I would like advice on how
to help him get over this fear.

Maybe you could explain to him (or have his doctor explain to him) how
his mouth and throat work. Chewing food thoroughly is a good idea, and
the original incident was likely caused by his not chewing the chip well
enough. Give him the feeling that he can be in control of what goes down
his throat not _only_ by choosing soft foods but by chewing well
anything he puts in his mouth. Maybe you can call it a science
experiement -- using foods that he used to enjoy but has been avoiding.

Meanwhile, make sure there's plenty of nutrition in the foods he does
it.

Good luck!

Peggy

--
The Duke showed his lower teeth. "We all have our flaws," he said, "and
mine is being wicked." --James Thurber

Old March 15th 05, 01:26 PM
Kevin Karplus

In article .com,
Johnniec wrote:
My 7 yr. old was eating a taco salad at school during lunch, and choked
on one of the chips. It was stuck in this throat for a few seconds,
then he choked it out. It scared the heck out of him. I happened to
have be there with him when it happened, although I didn't realize it
was happening until just before it was over.

Now he has a fear of choking. He chooses his food based on whether he
thinks he could choke on it. He eats very slowly now. He has lost
weight. He was actually a bit overweight before, so he looks fit now. I
suspect that is why others haven't really noticed this problem he is
having.

This has been going on now for a few weeks. I would like advice on how
to help him get over this fear.

Eating slowly is not a serious problem---it may even be healthier than
rapid eating, as one is more likely to stop when satiated. You may
have to schedule meal times to last longer, so that he has sufficient
time to eat an adequate amount.

Neither dismiss his fears (he knows that choking *can* happen to him)
nor dwell on them, but teaching him coping strategies to minimize the
risk without introducing other risks (like not getting enough to eat).

You may want to cut up some of his food into smaller pieces, so that
there is less chance of choking, and encourage him to chew food
thoroughly. Serve lots of milk (assuming there is no allergy to it),
to make sure he gets enough protein. If he is refusing meat (the most
likely cause of choking), try getting him to eat tofu, which is also
an excellent protein source, but of softer consistency.

If he shows extreme fear, like refusing to eat anything, seek
professional help.

Kevin Karplus http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~karplus
(Senior member, IEEE) (Board of Directors, ISCB)
Affiliations for identification only.

Old March 15th 05, 07:53 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article ,
Kevin Karplus wrote:

In article .com,
Johnniec wrote:
Now he has a fear of choking. He chooses his food based on whether he
thinks he could choke on it. He eats very slowly now. He has lost
weight. He was actually a bit overweight before, so he looks fit now. I
suspect that is why others haven't really noticed this problem he is
having.

Eating slowly is not a serious problem---it may even be healthier than
rapid eating, as one is more likely to stop when satiated. You may
have to schedule meal times to last longer, so that he has sufficient
time to eat an adequate amount.

This can be a problem for lunchtime in school though. Most schools
allow very little time for the kids too eat. I have a slow eater,
and there is a very real issue with letting him have enough time to
eat without sacrificing supervision somewhere.

--Robyn

Old March 15th 05, 08:49 PM
Jeff

"Robyn Kozierok" wrote in message
In article ,
Kevin Karplus wrote:

In article .com,
Johnniec wrote:
Now he has a fear of choking. He chooses his food based on whether he
thinks he could choke on it. He eats very slowly now. He has lost
weight. He was actually a bit overweight before, so he looks fit now. I
suspect that is why others haven't really noticed this problem he is
having.

Eating slowly is not a serious problem---it may even be healthier than
rapid eating, as one is more likely to stop when satiated. You may
have to schedule meal times to last longer, so that he has sufficient
time to eat an adequate amount.

This can be a problem for lunchtime in school though. Most schools
allow very little time for the kids too eat. I have a slow eater,
and there is a very real issue with letting him have enough time to
eat without sacrificing supervision somewhere.

But, he might find foods that he can eat relatively rapidly.

He can snack when he gets home, too.

Jeff

--Robyn

Old March 16th 05, 01:54 AM
Kevin Karplus

In article , Robyn Kozierok wrote:
In article ,
Kevin Karplus wrote:

In article .com,
Johnniec wrote:
Now he has a fear of choking. He chooses his food based on whether he
thinks he could choke on it. He eats very slowly now. He has lost
weight. He was actually a bit overweight before, so he looks fit now. I
suspect that is why others haven't really noticed this problem he is
having.

Eating slowly is not a serious problem---it may even be healthier than
rapid eating, as one is more likely to stop when satiated. You may
have to schedule meal times to last longer, so that he has sufficient
time to eat an adequate amount.

This can be a problem for lunchtime in school though. Most schools
allow very little time for the kids too eat. I have a slow eater,
and there is a very real issue with letting him have enough time to
eat without sacrificing supervision somewhere.

I have a slow eater also---he brings a lunch from home and rarely eats
more than a third of it during school lunch time. It isn't so much
that there isn't enough lunch time as that there are much more
exciting things to do (like lunch time art or practicing with his
theater group, which is a bunch of third graders who get together to
practice dialogue from the Harry Potter books). Lunch time is the
main social and play time of the day at his school with only one short
midmorning recess (the theater group is mainly a recess-time activity,
but occasionally spills over into lunch time).

We make sure that he has an after-school snack, which often consists
of what he didn't eat at lunch plus a cup of chocolate milk.

School lunches around here are nutritionally poor---mostly fried foods
with a high calorie count. We let our son eat them once a week if he
wants, but he has not been requesting the school lunches much this year.
His favorite lunch foods (cold tofu with soy sauce, applesauce, plain
bread, kiwi fruit, ...) don't match the school lunches well.

Old March 26th 05, 03:28 AM
Dana P

I wouldn't worry about his weight loss...that probably stems from his
taking his time, paying attention to what he is eating, not wolfing down
his food while talking etc....that is one of the first things they tell
you when you are trying to diet (turn tv off, pay attention to you're
food...it doesn't disapear as fast). He's more than likely filling up
faster because he is more conscious of how much he's taking in.

I would give him some time...I think he will probably get over his
fear on his own. The more time passes since the incedent, the more
likely he is to forget all about it and resume eating like normal.

șoș Dana șoș
Remove NoSpam to reply
http://community.webtv.net/DisneyDanaNoSpam/MyPugs