Extreme dry skin

Old March 28th 06, 03:05 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Default Extreme dry skin

I am 4.5 months along and have developed extremely dry skin. I didn't have
dry skin with pregnancy #1. In fact, I have never in my life experienced
skin this dry even having lived in blustery and cold PA for 30 years.
Anyone else get skin this dry from pregnancy? Any suggestions on how to
alleviate it? Thanks!

Old March 28th 06, 05:13 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Aw, man, I'm so glad the belly itchies haven't started for me yet.
Pregnancy doesn't make my skin dryer, but I've got really dry skin to
begin with, and here are a few things that might help:

* If you're itching, take oatmeal baths (and make an oatmeal mask for
especially itchy spots). Take raw oatmeal, run it through a blender to
turn it into flour, and mix it into a paste for a mask and then apple
to face/belly/other itchy spots, wash off when dry; or put it in the
toe of an old pair of nylons, tie it off, and let it steep in the bath
for a few minutes before you step in, then bathe as normal.

* Lotion yourself up, all over, every single time you take a shower or
bath, without fail. This is the best time to lock in moisture. Reapply
every time you, for example, wash your hands.

* Don't stay too long in those showers and baths, though, as it can dry
your skin out even more.

* Experiment with lotions and moisturizers to find one that works best
for you. Take a good look at the ingredients, though; some have mineral
oils or petrolatum in them, which many people find to be drying. Shea
butter, cocoa butter, lanolin, and aloe are all ingredients you might
have good luck with.

* Take a good look at the soaps you're using. A lot of soaps are very
harsh on dryer skin, and what used to work for you may be hurting you
now. I'd tend to avoid soaps like Dial. Try Ivory for bar soap, or
better, an olive oil-derived or glycerine soap. Shower gels are usually
pretty mild to begin with, in my experience.

* Ditto with your laundry detergent. You might need to switch to a
fragrance-free version. Sometimes dry skin can't tolerate dryer sheets
at all (though that may be because dry, sensitive skin and various
allergies tend to go hand in hand.

* It's possible what you think is dry skin is some sort of eczema;
mention it to your doctor on your next visit, just in case.

Hope this helps even a little bit.

Old March 28th 06, 06:32 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

"ChitaShines" wrote in message
m...
I am 4.5 months along and have developed extremely dry skin. I didn't have
dry skin with pregnancy #1. In fact, I have never in my life experienced
skin this dry even having lived in blustery and cold PA for 30 years.
Anyone else get skin this dry from pregnancy? Any suggestions on how to
alleviate it? Thanks!

I had odd red splotches all over my chest, right below my breasts with DD.
Didn't have anything like that with DS1 or DS2, but then again, I've always
had horrible skin since the day I was born... Between horrendous eczema -
which has tapered off a bit and isn't as horrible as it was when I was a
baby/child, but it does come back on occasion with full force, but again,
rarely... I also have major reactions to certain shampoos/conditioners,
soaps and lotions, as well as very bad reactions to certain chemicals -
everything from car paint remover to household cleaners like Comet. They
all break my skin out in very bad, itchy rashes...
The odd red spots I had on my chest with DD, though, only got itchy every
once in a while, but they were there all the time. Doc said they were not
pregnancy related, yet they appeared when I was pg, and disappeared after DD
was born.
It's been suggested, but I agree with the oatmeal idea. I wouldn't
recommend lotions and such, mainly because I have never been able to do
that, but I'm sure it could be a lifesaver for many others. *pulls out jar
conveniently tossed on computer desk long ago* I have this 'Nadinola' cocoa
butter cream that I picked up when pg with DD, and I used it on a daily
basis. Didn't irritate my skin, and although it says it soothes and softens
rough, dry skin, I found it was more of a relief of cooling and saved me
from being so itchy more than it actually smoothed and softened my skin.
Worked well on my feet, though, which were really dry.

Old March 28th 06, 07:19 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

"ChitaShines" wrote in message
m...
I am 4.5 months along and have developed extremely dry skin. I didn't have
dry skin with pregnancy #1. In fact, I have never in my life experienced
skin this dry even having lived in blustery and cold PA for 30 years.
Anyone else get skin this dry from pregnancy?

I do. My hair is dry too.

Any suggestions on how to
alleviate it?

Only that birth thing ;-)

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old March 28th 06, 09:10 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

ChitaShines wrote:
I am 4.5 months along and have developed extremely dry skin. I didn't have
dry skin with pregnancy #1. In fact, I have never in my life experienced
skin this dry even having lived in blustery and cold PA for 30 years.
Anyone else get skin this dry from pregnancy? Any suggestions on how to
alleviate it? Thanks!

Yup.

I tried Aveeno, and something else I cannot recall. Neither worked.
The only thing I found that helps is "Gold Bond Ultimate Healing
Lotion". I use it every day & if I don't the flakes come back.

P.S. It's really nice & thick, absorbs well, doesn't 'smell' and
doesn't leave your skin oily.
Old March 29th 06, 01:12 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Have you had your thyroid tested? I have developed extremely dry skin
too. Especially my face. When I asked my OBGYN, she said wash my skin
less. That did nothing, and I tried every type of cream, cheap and
expensive. Nothing helped. Then during a routine general practice
visit, my thryiod levels were tested and I came in a bit low
functioning. I have since seen an endochronologist was officialy
diagnosed and am now taking hormone supplements. My skin is getting
back to normal. It's worth checking. Besides one's own vanity issues
and discomfort, low thyroid funtion can effect fetal brain development.
I'm so thankful someone thought to test me!