milk and toddlers...new question

Old January 7th 04, 09:53 PM
jojo

Default milk and toddlers...new question

my child is drinking soy.
The fat content is the same (+ or -) of 2% milk.
Is my child getting the fat he needs or does it specifically need to be milk
fat???

If it needs to be milk fat and he cannot drink milk, is there a substitute?

Thanks,
jo

Old January 7th 04, 10:03 PM
Circe

jojo wrote:
my child is drinking soy.
The fat content is the same (+ or -) of 2% milk.
Is my child getting the fat he needs or does it specifically need to
be milk fat???

If it needs to be milk fat and he cannot drink milk, is there a
substitute?

Of course it doesn't need to be milk fat! (What, you think humans evolved
with a cow tethered next to their trees g?)

My first two never drank cow's milk and my third rarely does. They were all
still breastfeeding up to (and beyond) age 2, however, so I figured that was
probably a pretty good source of dietary fat for them. The first two also
drank soy milk like yours when I wasn't around. I just made sure they got
plenty of fat from other sources (yes, I admit, french fries were a
favorite!) and they all seemed to do fine.

Other good sources of fat for toddlers who can't do dairy and that are a bit
more healthy than french fries include avocados, olive or flaxseed oil added
to their foods, and meats with a fairly high fat content. The primary thing,
IMO, is to do whatever you can to avoid the trans-fats (those dreaded
hydrogenated oils) and try for regular unsaturated or saturated fats only.
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [22 mos.] mom)

"Taxi's R Us" -- name of a cab company

Daddy: You're up with the chickens this morning.
Aurora: No, I'm up with my dolls!

Old January 7th 04, 10:06 PM
jojo

"Circe" wrote in message
jojo wrote:
[...]

This was very informative, thank you!!

jojo

Old January 8th 04, 04:38 AM
Mamma Mia

fat does not need to be animal fat, in fact it can be better if it is not...

but i dont really know fat quantities

i have read studies saying you can give children from 2 non fat milk _ I
THINK _ dont take my word for this

christine

Old January 8th 04, 03:09 PM
Irene

"Mamma Mia" wrote in message ...
fat does not need to be animal fat, in fact it can be better if it is not...

but i dont really know fat quantities

i have read studies saying you can give children from 2 non fat milk _ I
THINK _ dont take my word for this

christine

When ds was 1, he occasionally drank skim milk. As far as I was
concerned, it was like having water with added calcium and vitamins,
but just not part of his fat intake. He still occasionally has some.
I don't think it's a big deal, as long as they get enough from other
sources (as Barbara already explained.)

Irene

Milk and toddlers Shelley W. General 10 January 8th 04 05:33 PM
Do they use organic milk making formulas? dodo General 15 January 7th 04 08:48 AM
Toddlers and food waste Cheryl S. General 84 January 2nd 04 11:21 PM
why do I have to give whole milk to my toddler? Clisby Williams General 14 July 13th 03 10:17 PM