6 month old refuses to nurse??

Old June 22nd 06, 01:38 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default 6 month old refuses to nurse??

PattyMomVA wrote:
"Anne Rogers" wrote:
Does anyone have any suggestions?

do nothing, don't give her expressed milk in any shape or form, nor
formula, continue to feed solids at the same frequency and in a few days
she will almost certainly be back at the breast, she may be teething, or
have a mild ear infection and be finding breastfeeding uncomfortable, but
if you give her an alternative she may decide she prefers that and you'll
be stuck.

I agree with Anne except about continuing with the same amount of solids.
Since the OP didn't say how much she's giving, I'm not comfortable that the
amount isn't "too much" when a 6-month-old won't nurse. (Just a nit.)

-Patty, mom of 1+2

Hi Patty, and all the others,

I double checked the quantity of solids last week during my daughter's
6 month check-up. The doctor seemed to think that she was fine, and
she didn't have any infections then....?

She is taking 2 tbsp of cereal at breakfast, with 1 1/2 tbsp fruit. At
lunch, 2 tbsp cereal & 2 tbsp veggie and at dinner she is getting 1 1/2
tbsp cereal, 1 1/2 tbsp veggie, and sometimes fruit. All the cereal is
mixed with expressed milk (not water or formula).

Things seemed to have gone better today....however now I'm having the
problem where I can't leave her sight without her throwing a fit. Oh
goodness. What will come next?!

Thanks again to everyone for being so helpful (and one person welcomed
me to the group...thanks!).

Isabelle

Old June 23rd 06, 02:14 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

You could get rid of the pacifier. It may be causing
nipple confusion (supra-normal stimulus). I would avoid
bottles for the same reason -- bottle would probably be
even worse. Any supplements can be fed with a cup,
spoon, or eyedropper. Even a newborn can be fed with
a cup. There's a method to do it. It isn't particularly
easy but can be done. With an older baby it would be
easier I guess.

You can look for times when she's half-asleep and
try to nurse her then -- e.g. when just waking up
in the morning. Or at times in the night or during
naps when she seems to be in a light sleep.
If nursing is painful for some reason, I think many
babies accept it more easily when half-asleep.
Old June 24th 06, 12:19 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Catherine Woodgold wrote:
You could get rid of the pacifier. It may be causing
nipple confusion (supra-normal stimulus). I would avoid
bottles for the same reason -- bottle would probably be
even worse. Any supplements can be fed with a cup,
spoon, or eyedropper. Even a newborn can be fed with
a cup. There's a method to do it. It isn't particularly
easy but can be done. With an older baby it would be
easier I guess.

You can look for times when she's half-asleep and
try to nurse her then -- e.g. when just waking up
in the morning. Or at times in the night or during
naps when she seems to be in a light sleep.
If nursing is painful for some reason, I think many
babies accept it more easily when half-asleep.

Thanks again for the response. For some reason, she decided today to
be her "normal" self! No back arching, no fussing, just the girl that
I knew who used to like to nurse.

Thanks everyone's advice!

Isabelle

Old June 24th 06, 11:18 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"PattyMomVA" wrote in message
"Anne Rogers" wrote:
Does anyone have any suggestions?

do nothing, don't give her expressed milk in any shape or form, nor
formula, continue to feed solids at the same frequency and in a few days
she will almost certainly be back at the breast, she may be teething, or
have a mild ear infection and be finding breastfeeding uncomfortable, but
if you give her an alternative she may decide she prefers that and you'll
be stuck.

I agree with Anne except about continuing with the same amount of solids.
Since the OP didn't say how much she's giving, I'm not comfortable that
the amount isn't "too much" when a 6-month-old won't nurse. (Just a nit.)

nit picking here too, I did only say same frequency, not same volume ;-)

Anne