safe arrivals

Old May 23rd 05, 02:43 AM
David Candler

Default safe arrivals

Hi there,

I haven't been around much lately, been too busy. My twin boys arrived
safely on May 11/05, 4wks early. I was admitted to hospital on the 9th,
for bed rest, in order to get me off my feet and help the little guy grow a
bit better. Last u/s showed one twin at 4lb 15oz and the other twin at
almost 7lbs. Quite a size difference. I was to be in on bedrest for at
least a week, with another u/s and possible scheduled c-section.

Well, things didn't go as planned.....my waters exploded (!) at midnight
Tuesday night. (the RN on duty assumed at first it was just the boys
jumping on my bladder and to get some rest...that's just what twins do).
Contractions started around 1am. The RN now thought perhaps I did know
what I was talking about, put me on the NST machine and indeed I was having
contractions. (I wasn't too sure what was happening, my oldest son, my
waters broke, but very slow trickle, and I was induced so I had hellish
contractions from the very beginning). DH was an hour away at home, fast
asleep. I called him, finally getting him on the phone on the 4th try (I
had the operator keep trying back, since I was calling collect and the
machine kept picking up). I told him I was having contractions and to be
on 'alert'. As soon as I hung up with DH, the nurse arrived in my room,
saying we're having babies tonight. Back on the phone with DH. He still
had to run our son to his parents in town, then drive an hour to the
hospital.

I told the medical staff to not rush things, DH was on his way and would
take a hour to get here. LOL The doctor confirmed it was my waters and
that I was already 3cm dilated. Contractions were getting to the point I
had to breathe through them, but I could still carry on conversation
otherwise.

I was taken to the OR, had my spinal (so weird!!) and was getting prepped
for surgery. DH still wasn't here, it was almost 3am. Matthew was born at
3:18am, 4lbs 1/2oz, screaming like a banshee. Michael was born at 3:20am,
6lbs 7.5oz, screaming like a banshee. No fetal distress here. DH arrived
about 3:25am, ready to take them to the nursery. I was in OR till about
4am, then in recovery till about 6am. DH was napping in the tv room on my
floor. He headed home about 6:30am, after checking we were all safe &
sound. He wanted to get a bit of rest, before coming back later that day.

I was bothered by nurses most of the morning, wanting my vitals (bp, temp,
etc.). I was dragged out of bed around noon, much to my dismay, but I
admit I felt better afterwards.

We were discharged on Sat, the 14th. Matthew was 3lb 13oz and Michael was
5lb 15oz. I'm breastfeeding, along with formula, in order to help them
both grow big and strong. With the c-section and having twins, my milk
supply isn't sufficient just yet. And with such a teeny tiny twin, I felt
it best to help them in any way I can. I had them weighed yesterday (21st)
and Matthew is now over birthweight, 4lbs 3oz, and Michaell is 6lbs even.
The health nurse was quite amazed at how fast Matthew got back to his
birthweight and agreed that I was doing the best thing with supplementing
(this coming from a lactation consultant!!!).

Boys are napping right now, getting a bit of tummy time. Michael doesn't
mind sleeping on his back, but Matthew would prefer any position but. He
fusses quite a bit on his back, so he spends a good deal of time in bed
with his parents at night. Anything to get some sleep. I tandem nurse
during the daytime when I can, and we wake them at the same time to eat,
including during the night. These boys will be on a schedule in no time, I
hope.

Take care......must tend to babies.....Carla
Mitchell, Aug 11/02
Matthew, May 11/05
Michael, May 11/05

Old May 23rd 05, 09:15 AM
Jennifer in Maryland

David Candler" wrote in message
... Hi there,

I was taken to the OR, had my spinal (so weird!!) and was getting prepped
for surgery. DH still wasn't here, it was almost 3am. Matthew was born

at
3:18am, 4lbs 1/2oz, screaming like a banshee. Michael was born at 3:20am,
6lbs 7.5oz, screaming like a banshee. No fetal distress here. DH arrived
about 3:25am, ready to take them to the nursery. I was in OR till about
4am, then in recovery till about 6am. DH was napping in the tv room on my
floor. He headed home about 6:30am, after checking we were all safe &
sound. He wanted to get a bit of rest, before coming back later that day.

Take care......must tend to babies.....Carla
Mitchell, Aug 11/02
Matthew, May 11/05
Michael, May 11/05

Carla, what great news!! Congratulations to you & your hubby! :-D

It sounds like everything went well, but wow, what a surprise to have the
babies come the way they did. It's too bad your hubby missed the births,
but most important is that the boys arrived safely and in good health.

How does the big brother like the new arrivals? :-) It sounds as if you
have everything well in hand, including nursing. Way to go!

Jennifer

Janna, 08/16/86
Bryan and Emily, 07/12/94
Katharine, 07/03/98

Old May 23rd 05, 06:10 PM
David Candler

Jennifer,

Big brother is a bit too aggressive at times. He's always wanting to
head-butt them or kiss them. He's always been a bit of an agressive child
even before they came....always jumping all over DH and trying to with me
(I put a stop to it early in pregnancy). Basically being a typical male
toddler. LOL

We're trying to teach him to be gentle with the boys and to not hit them
like he wants to. Again, a typical male toddler.

It's slow going tho, but we're getting better each day.

Right now, the boys are asleep in their crib, on their tummy, the way they
prefer, getting a nap & tummy time at the same time. Our oldest preferred
sleeping on his tummy, but I'm too paranoid to let them sleep that way at
night.

Carla

Old May 25th 05, 02:34 PM
Ellen

Carla,

Congratulations on the birth of your boys ) What a story! I am so
happy for you and your family. You're sure to have your hands full and
I hope everyone is adjusting well. Take care and update us whenever
you can!

Ellen
Erin 6/95
Bradley & Alex 10/00