Lack of Wet Diapers

Old October 17th 05, 02:46 AM
Leslie

Default Lack of Wet Diapers

This is probably going to sound like a crazy question to be asking at
this time (with Lorelei being 11 months old!), but . . .

Lorelei's diapers are just never that wet. Never soaking, never
leaking, even overnight. Barely even damp to the touch, sometimes. (We
use cloth, btw, just regular dimestore prefolds with another thinner
one folded in thirds in the middle.)

She's tall, healthy, growing, weighs about 22 pounds. She still nurses
frequently, including during the night. I still feel occasional
letdowns, get full if she doesn't nurse for a while, even leak from
time to time, so I know the milk is there.

The only time she has a very wet diaper are on the occasions (about
once a week, if that) when it is very hot and she hasn't had much to
eat on a particular day I have given her a bottle of baby juice. Then
she soaks a diaper.

It seems to me that if she soaks a diaper when she drinks juice, her
"plumbing" must be okay. And I know I have milk. So is it possible
that she is just digesting the breast milk really efficiently? Would
you be worried?

Leslie

Old October 17th 05, 03:10 AM

It does sound a little weird, particularly as you had weight gain
issues earlier. I assume she's getting significant amounts of solids
now? (I know some kids aren't, but most are by this age ...) Maybe add
some drinks of water? I don't think that could hurt anything at 11
months.

Does she poop a lot? My son used to have lots of poopy diapers and
almost never seemed to be "just wet." I had a theory that lots of water
got diverted to his gut instead of his bladder ...

--Helen

Old October 17th 05, 06:06 AM
Mum of Two

"Leslie" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I had this happen with Ana, her wet nappies were infrequent and sometimes
her urine was a little smelly or yellow. She was never a big water drinker
before 12 months (has only now learnt to use a sippy by herself) but her
solids were always moist. As Helen found, her poop was never a solid
consistency, so presumably she was getting rid of water that way.
I consulted my La Leche League leaders, who said they couldn't remember
their babies drinking much water before 12 months, and if she was dehydrated
there would be other signs such as a sunken fontanelle or skin problems,
neither of which she had. No-one seemed to be particularly worried.
Now is probably a good time to get her used to drinking water. If she's
thirsty, she'll drink when it's offered. I wouldn't worry about your supply
at this point, if BM is the only liquid she has, you would know by now if
she wasn't getting enough - it would be a crisis situation! It's probably to
do with the fact she's taking in more solids, and her bowel needs the water
to help her form proper bowel movements.

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

Old October 17th 05, 12:12 PM
Anne Rogers

I think I would want things to be checked out, low volume of urine is not a
good thing, though it may be nothing to do with how much milk she is eating.

Anne

Old October 17th 05, 06:35 PM
zolwica

I agree 100%.

Sina doesn't seem to drink enough though she breastfeeds, yet her
diapers are wet.

How often do you change her diapers? My friend had this problem (as
yours) but she was changing diapers every 1 1/2 -2 hours. The doctor
claimed that the diapers absorb the urine and she changes them quickly.

Good Luck

Mona & Sina (turning 15 months real soon)