Going to use my BF experiance to help others

Old December 3rd 03, 02:59 PM
Clare L

Default Going to use my BF experiance to help others

There was an advert in the local paper the other week to become a
"Breastfeeding Peer Supporter Volunteer" It's a scheme that the local HV's
are setting up for mums-to-be and new mums so they can speak to some one who
had been there, seen that etc.

I just filled in my application form!

--
Clare L

Old December 3rd 03, 05:20 PM
Serenity

Which organisation is running it?

Old December 3rd 03, 06:02 PM
Linz

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 14:59:58 -0000, "Clare L"
wrote:

There was an advert in the local paper the other week to become a
"Breastfeeding Peer Supporter Volunteer" It's a scheme that the local HV's
are setting up for mums-to-be and new mums so they can speak to some one who
had been there, seen that etc.

I just filled in my application form!

Sounds wonderful - good for you!
One of my friends has just started training to be a "Community parent"
- supporting new mums who don't have family around to ask "is this
okay?" kind of questions. I suspect he was the only Dad in the group!
--
Never knock an idea that started out on the back of a beer mat.
(Colin Pillinger, brains behind Beagle 2.)
Old December 3rd 03, 06:27 PM
Nic Gee

i've done two post natal support groups for the local NCT - it basically
involves having about six new mums round once a week for coffee - more or
less letting them get on with making friends and bringing in teas and
biscuits and occassionally saying things like 'so are you getting any
sleep?' or 'it will get better really!' the first one i did when DS was 2
and he was on best behaviour and clearly was the charmer, the second one
when he was 21/2 and DD was six months which was even better as there was a
living example of 'light at the end of the tunnel!' there is nothing more
reassuring to a new mum than someone a few months or years ahead of them to
tell them what they are feeling, what the baby is doing and so on is normal!
well done Clare!

Nic

Old December 3rd 03, 06:46 PM
Clare L

I it is the HV's, tho I don't know who is doing the training - 12 weeks one
morning a week if I recall correctly. Creche provided

Clare

--
Clare L

"Serenity" serenity@nospamserenitynyespam off.fslife.co.uk wrote in
message ...
Which organisation is running it?

Old December 3rd 03, 07:33 PM
M&S

Good on you Clare.

I was v. disappointed when I was bf - it was a nightmare (but I managed 5
mths) - I tried the NCT twice and left messages 3 times for the local lady
to come and visit/call me but she never did :-(

Old December 3rd 03, 11:10 PM
Matt C

I have just completed my Mum 2 Mum training which sounds like the same
thing. It is a HV scheme to give peer support for BF to mums to be and new
mums. I really enjoyed the course - gave me loads of info on BF which I
wish I had when I was having all the problems when I was starting out! Just
hope that I can pass on the info and help someone else.....

Good luck!

Jacqui

Old December 4th 03, 01:15 AM
Clair

That sounds great, i wish there had been something like that when i was
trying to b/f my kids! I am doing something very similar, i was a teenage
parent (and i am still only 23) but i have trained to become a peer
educator. i go into schools and talk to kids about the kind of things
schools dont. What it is like to be a teenage parent, budgeting,
contraception, the csa and so on. It has worked really well and all the
kids we have talked to so far have really enjoyed the sessions and have said
that they have learnt a lot. They nearlly all said that they did not want
kids until they were much older and would use contraception so I suppose it
has worked. I will be starting my own business next march doing this
nationwide, going round the country recruiting young parents to do the same
as I am now. We really need to put this kind of message accross to young
people.
I hope everything goes well for you and I'm sure a lot of people will find
it a very useful and very helpful service!

Clair

Old December 4th 03, 08:36 AM
Mary Ann Tuli

Clare L wrote:
There was an advert in the local paper the other week to become a
"Breastfeeding Peer Supporter Volunteer" It's a scheme that the local HV's
are setting up for mums-to-be and new mums so they can speak to some one who
had been there, seen that etc.

I just filled in my application form!

Great Clare :-)

Mary Ann
ABM Mother Supporter

Old December 4th 03, 10:02 PM
Alison

That's brilliant, Clare. I felt the same so now I'm training to be a
Breastfeeding Counsellor. It seems a long way away right now cos the
training is two years (ish) - I just wish we had proactive HVs like yours in
this area then I could be helping NOW.

And 'S' ... I was sad to hear that the NCT lady didn't get back to you. I
think that's mean when someone has needed you so badly that they've not only
plucked up the courage to phone, but have called 3 times!! I hope I make a
better job of it than she did. Well done you for getting so far with no
help. That's why I'm training cos when I was having a nightmare time of it
I couldn't find a local helper.

--Alison