Cruisin' for a bruisin'

Old June 25th 05, 02:49 PM
Mark Probert

Default Cruisin' for a bruisin'

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...hub=TopStories

However, as the interview progressed, the discussion became tense.

In an earlier television interview on Access Hollywood, Cruise
criticized Brooke Shields for taking anti-depressants to deal with her
postpartum depression. Cruise's religion, Scientology, teaches that
modern psychiatry and its medications are harmful.

When Lauer asked Cruise about his comments he defended his position,
saying he disapproved of psychiatry even before he became a Scientologist.

"Look, you've got to understand, I really care about Brooke Shields. I
think, here's a wonderful and talented woman. And I want to see her do
well. And I know that psychiatry is a pseudo-science," Cruise said.

Cruise became increasingly visibly agitated as Lauer asked: "Do you
examine the possibility that these things do work for some people?"

When Lauer pressed Cruise on the topic, he said: "Matt, Matt, Matt, you
don't even -- you're glib, you don't even know what Ritalin is."

At one point, Cruise told Lauer, "You don't know the history of
psychiatry, I do."

When Lauer said he knew people on Ritalin who seemed to have benefited
from the drug, Cruise said that wasn't enough.

"But you're now telling me that your experiences with the people I know,
which are zero, are more important than my experiences," said Lauer, who
appeared composed despite his resolute words.

"What do you mean by that?" Cruise asked.

"You're telling me what's worked for people I know or hasn't worked for
people I know. I'm telling you, I've lived with these people and they're
better," Lauer said.

When Cruise suggested Lauer was advocating Ritalin, Lauer said: "I am
not. I'm telling you in their cases, in their individual case, it worked."

Eventually, Lauer said he recognized they could "go around in circles on
this for awhile," and asked whether one of Cruise's goals was for more
people to understand Scientology.
Old June 25th 05, 03:01 PM
cathyb

Mark Probert wrote:
[...]

Cruise believes in a religion created by a science fiction writer,
Lafayette Ron Hubbard, a man on record as saying that the best way to
make a million would be to start a religion (allegedly; scientologists
are notoriously litigious).

This religion involves aliens, ...oh, what's the point. As a for
instance, "In the 1960s the guru [Hubbard] decreed that humans are made
of clusters of spirits (or "thetans") who were banished to earth some
75 million years ago by a cruel galactic ruler named Xenu. Naturally,
those thetans had to be audited." Auditing naturally costs quite a bit.
Tom Cruise, while undeniably petit, and quite cute in his younger days,
is a ****wit of no small proportions.

Cathy

Old June 25th 05, 05:15 PM
Mark Thorson

Yeah, just go to http://www.xenu.net/ for the whole story.

Old June 25th 05, 05:42 PM
Sumbuny

"Mark Probert" wrote in message

[...]

I saw it when it aired...at one point I almost thought it would come to
blows...

Did ya notice that Lauer said that he respected Cruise's opinion...but
Cruise *never* replied in kind?

Buny

Old June 25th 05, 10:22 PM
Mark Probert

Sumbuny wrote:
[...]

Exactly. Cruise is very typical of the anti-psychiatirst.

Now..for a real shocker...

When I got up this morning I flipped on the NY NBC affiliate-WNBC- and
saw the face of Marie Osmond. Marie had gone through a very severe
episode of post-partum depression and was being interviewed abou thow
she took a fully holistic approach which included mainstream medication,
psychotherapy, cleanses, detoxes, etc. (I should point out that she did
look great on the tube.)

The the camera switched to none other than....

yep...

you guessed it...

Peter Breggin...

who sounded like an utter fool. The third person being interviewed was a
psychotherapist who took the position that medication is often necessary
in the beginning of treatment of post-partum depression and will help
other treament modalities (same points made by Osmond).

Breggin was full of Breggin. He did not miss an opportunity to make his
usual claims, or self-promote himself. I did not let him ruin my day.

After that we had breakfast, I went on line for a bit..went to a
wheelchair race..and then came home and went fishing. Dinner tonight is
"fresh catch", and in this case, early season bluefish. I'd email you
all some...but...it happens to be one of my major weaknesses...and I do
not share easily. Especially this one as it gave me a "reel" battle.

Old June 26th 05, 06:56 AM
george of the jungle

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 11:42:22 -0500, "Sumbuny"
wrote:

[...]

What was your impression about how they looked in the interview and
how they came off. From what I read Cruise came off looking like a
jerk but I didn't see the theatrics.

L-Ron blubberd nonsense. Did Cruise blow a fuse?

_g

Old June 26th 05, 02:50 PM
Mark Probert

wrote:

[...]

Sure looked like it...

www.drudgereport.com/flash3tc.htm

At 7:52 of this clip

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8343367/

whil ehe does not appear to be a raving lunatic, listening to his words
clearly shows that he is.
Old June 27th 05, 12:38 AM
Sumbuny

wrote:

[...]

He did get rather emoptional, his tone of voice changed greatly...and for
someone to tell a reporter of Lauer's ilk that he did not know anything
about what he was talking about while showing his own patent ignorance was
almost funny--if it wasn't so tragic. I am glad that his ex has custody of
the kids....

Buny

Old June 27th 05, 01:04 AM
george of the jungle

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 18:38:27 -0500, "Sumbuny"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Mark Probert" wrote in message

Did ya notice that Lauer said that he respected Cruise's opinion...but
Cruise *never* replied in kind?

Buny

What was your impression about how they looked in the interview and
how they came off. From what I read Cruise came off looking like a
jerk but I didn't see the theatrics.

He did get rather emoptional, his tone of voice changed greatly...and for
someone to tell a reporter of Lauer's ilk that he did not know anything
about what he was talking about while showing his own patent ignorance was
almost funny--if it wasn't so tragic. I am glad that his ex has custody of
the kids....

Buny

Obviously, she married him for his looks, not his brains. I have a
feeling that she divorced him to get the kids away from that cchrap.

_g
Old June 27th 05, 04:35 AM

"We have billions of invisible aliens in our bodies...and by the way,
counseling doesn't work." (But 'auditing' does...)

Sounds like a sensible worldview to me!

Mark, MD