Do you support educational vouchers in schools?

Old May 30th 05, 01:54 AM
toto

On Sun, 29 May 2005 22:03:19 GMT, "Don"
wrote:

You find it odd that my real name is on each of my posts, just like yours?
Why?

I find it odd that you refuse to give us this website that is *doing
so well* or that you refuse to give us the name of your wife's book,
not that you say your name is Don.

I have no way to verify that as you have no way to verify mine, btw,
but I have met some of the misc.education posters in person and
one of them turned out to have taught my niece in high school.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old May 30th 05, 01:54 AM
toto

On Sun, 29 May 2005 22:00:01 GMT, "Don"
wrote:

I never said I wrote a book and I'm wondering why you are claiming I did.

You claimed your wife wrote one.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old May 30th 05, 04:48 AM
P. Tierney

wrote:

You find it odd that my real name is on each of my posts, just like yours?
Why?

I find it odd that you refuse to give us this website that is *doing
so well* or that you refuse to give us the name of your wife's book,
not that you say your name is Don.

He gave a book link elsewhere. The site link appears to be:
www.everythinghomeschooling.com $15.95 as stated. Looks
like a good site for those who have the need.

P. Tierney

Old May 30th 05, 05:13 AM
Nan

On Mon, 30 May 2005 03:48:50 GMT, "P. Tierney"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

You find it odd that my real name is on each of my posts, just like yours?
Why?

I find it odd that you refuse to give us this website that is *doing
so well* or that you refuse to give us the name of your wife's book,
not that you say your name is Don.

He gave a book link elsewhere. The site link appears to be:
www.everythinghomeschooling.com $15.95 as stated. Looks
like a good site for those who have the need.

Or they can obtain all the same type of information for free at the
public library.

Nan
Old May 30th 05, 05:58 AM
P. Tierney

"Nan" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 May 2005 03:48:50 GMT, "P. Tierney"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

You find it odd that my real name is on each of my posts, just like
yours?
Why?

I find it odd that you refuse to give us this website that is *doing
so well* or that you refuse to give us the name of your wife's book,
not that you say your name is Don.

He gave a book link elsewhere. The site link appears to be:
www.everythinghomeschooling.com $15.95 as stated. Looks
like a good site for those who have the need.

Or they can obtain all the same type of information for free at the
public library.

Probably so. Still, some will pay the sixteen bucks to have
it all organized and at one's fingertips from home at any hour of
the day. It probably isn't for me, but I've likely blown sixteen
bucks on worse things. To each one's own.

P.
Tierney

Old May 30th 05, 11:43 AM
Bob LeChevalier

"Don" wrote:
"Bob LeChevalier" wrote
My kids got much better education in school than
I did 40 years ago.

I don't doubt that at all, Bob.

I have a superior mastery of basic facts to anything you've shown.

Yet you openly admit to complete ignorance of the cost of public schooling
and the lack of quality there of.

I know the cost of public schooling, and it is worth every penny. The
quality is superior to any alternative, averaged over the entire
population.

lojbab
--
lojbab
Bob LeChevalier, Founder, The Logical Language Group
Old May 30th 05, 11:44 AM
Bob LeChevalier

"Don" wrote:
Bob, turn off the TEEVEE and get out in the real world and see whats going
on.

I don't watch "TEEVEE".

lojbab
Old May 30th 05, 11:49 AM
Bob LeChevalier

"Don" wrote:
It is YOUR credibility that is at stake.

No Bob, my credibility is not reliant upon little angry men in Usenet.

Your credibility on Usenet is.

You spout your ideological
bull****, but have nary a verifiable fact to support anything you
claim.

The facts are out there,

Nope.

Well the claim that your wife is selling a book could be at
least slightly supported by a URL.

Why, so that you won't buy it?
(remember what you said above?)

So we know you aren;t yet another ideological blowhard (i.e. liar)

You have been convinced, Bob, by the mass media that Homeschooling is BAD

No. Homeschooling is good for some, indifferent for some, not worth
the hassle for many, and impossible for many.

and public schooling is GOOD

It is satisfactory. At least, so the public rates the public schools
in the annual Kappan poll.

There is always room for improvement.

lojbab
Old May 30th 05, 04:42 PM
toto

On Mon, 30 May 2005 04:13:51 GMT, Nan wrote:

On Mon, 30 May 2005 03:48:50 GMT, "P. Tierney"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

You find it odd that my real name is on each of my posts, just like yours?
Why?

I find it odd that you refuse to give us this website that is *doing
so well* or that you refuse to give us the name of your wife's book,
not that you say your name is Don.

He gave a book link elsewhere. The site link appears to be:
www.everythinghomeschooling.com $15.95 as stated. Looks
like a good site for those who have the need.

Or they can obtain all the same type of information for free at the
public library.

My favorite homeschooling book is
The Unschooling Handbook: How to Ue the Whole World as Your
Child's Classroom by Mary Griffin

It can be found at amazon and bookstores, or as Nan says, you can use
the public library.

Also, if you google homeschooling, you can find many websites that
don't charge fees and imo, you don't need to buy any canned curriculum
from anyone to homeschool.

Nan

I will most likely be at the very least supplementing my dgd and dgs
at home and have found plenty of inexpensive materials I can use.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old May 30th 05, 04:55 PM
toto

On Mon, 30 May 2005 06:49:28 -0400, Bob LeChevalier
wrote:

You have been convinced, Bob, by the mass media that Homeschooling is BAD

No. Homeschooling is good for some, indifferent for some, not worth
the hassle for many, and impossible for many.

Here is the crux of the matter. What these folks don't seem to
understand is that as a society, we are attempting to educate all
of our children.

I've had experience with many homeschoolers. There are some that do a
very good job, but in general once the student is past elementary
school, they don't homeschool themselves, they hire tutors or send the
student to classes at local colleges or have them take distance
learning classes. Those options do work well. But parents who don't
have the resources to pay for those options don't do as well at
teaching their children through the academic high school classes
unless they themselves have a college education and good grasp of
the subject matter above the high school level. That's not *bad,* it
is simply a fact of life. When you talk about parents who are poor
and don't have any education themselves, homeschooling beyond
the basics becomes impossible or *iffy.* I have met several kids who
returned to the public schools well behind where their classmates
were. Even in this school though there were kids who failed. I doubt
that homeschooling would have provided them with anything better,
though. Do you really think a parent who is a crack addict or
alcoholic can homeschool her child?

I have no quarrel at all with people who choose to homeschool as long
as they manage to teach to a minimum standard of academics. I do
think though that children need to have some empathy for those who
have less than they do and whose parents are not able to provide the
same things that their parents can provide.

and public schooling is GOOD

It is satisfactory. At least, so the public rates the public schools
in the annual Kappan poll.

Unfortunately, public schooling is quite uneven. There are very good
public schools (my ds and dd attended one of the best and got an
education that surpasses that of many kids who were attending their
colleges from other high schools). Even in poor schools, btw, there
are often kids who end up with good educations. The inner city school
I taught at for 8 years had an honors program that allowed the best of
our kids to attend and succeed at excellent universities. One of my
favorite honor students attended University of Chicago in its program
for marine biology.

There is always room for improvement.

Absolutely.

--