Teen abuse of prescription drugs on rise

Old April 5th 07, 04:24 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,sci.med
Jan Drew

Default Teen abuse of prescription drugs on rise

[note the lie in the first sentence].

http://www.wilsontimes.com/Wil_regio...8972009350.php

They come in small amber-colored plastic bottles with labels, prescribed by
a doctor. They are safe when used properly by those for whom they are
prescribed.

That may one reason why nearly half of teenagers believe prescription
medication is safer to consume than marijuana, cocaine and other illicit
drugs.

Law enforcement agencies and other organizations in Wilson say this area
doesn't currently have a significant problem with teenage prescription drug
abuse. But if families don't take care to monitor their children,
authorities warn, that could change.

Prescription drug abuse in the U.S. is increasing and could surpass illicit
drug use, according to a report from Partnership for a Drug-Free N.C.

One in 10 teenagers in N.C. reported using prescription painkillers in the
last month, the organization said in a press release, and 40 percent of
teens believe prescription medications are less risky than drugs like
marijuana, heroin and cocaine.

"The crux of the problem, I believe, is teens think because a pharmaceutical
company made it, it's OK, it's not a street drug," said Phil Mooring,
executive director of Wilson Families in Action.

That misconception can have dangerous - even deadly - consequences. And the
accessibility of these medications to young people may be a contributing
factor to the growing problem of prescription drug abuse, Mooring said.

"Peer pressure, boredom, self-esteem issues, it's seen as the cool thing to
do; all these contribute to the temptation. If they want to use
(prescription drugs), it's easy to get," he said. "Most of it is coming from
their parents' medicine cabinets or the medicine cabinets of their friends."

AWARENESS OF A PROBLEM

Wilson Families in Action works with families to help prevent substance
abuse among children and adolescents. The agency isn't a counseling center,
Mooring said, but rather serves to educate and inform parents about
substance abuse.

"We do know that prescription drug abuse is a growing trend and folks at the
federal level are very concerned. Indicators are telling us this is
something we'd better get on top of," Mooring said. "You need to be aware of
whether your child is involved with risky behavior."

Teenagers who are using and abusing prescription medications may exhibit
similar symptoms to that of alcohol intoxication, according to local
pharmacists.

As a parent, once you suspect your child has a drug problem, it's time to
have a talk. Don't hesitate to sit down with your child to have a discussion
about the dangers of abusing prescription drugs, authorities say, including
long-term and short-term consequences.

"Our message to parents is, please know what's going on in your child's
life. There is a fine line between invading your child's privacy and
preventing risky behavior," Mooring said.

He reminds parents to pay attention to little things, too, like who your
children are spending time with, and what activities those friends are
involved in.

"Know your children's friends. Does your kid's best friend use drugs? If so,
chances are your child probably is, too," Mooring said.

Russ Dillard, a pharmacist at Eckerd Pharmacy on Martin Luther King Jr.
Parkway, said if your child suddenly switches the kind of friends he or she
spends time with, check it out. Also, be aware of significant attitude and
behavioral changes, he said.

WHERE TEENS ARE GETTING THE MEDS

Accessibility to prescription medications is part of the problem with the
growing trend of teenage substance abuse, authorities say. If a teenager
can't get to pills in his or her parent's cabinet, they may find it just as
easily at school, Mooring said.

Around the city and county, school and law enforcement officials say there
isn't a serious problem with prescription drug abuse among teenagers. Police
and sheriff's deputies haven't recently made any major arrests in connection
with illegal possession or sale of prescription drugs by teenagers.

Bob Kendall, director of public relations for Wilson County Schools, said
four students have received disciplinary action since the beginning of the
2006-2007 school year for activities related to prescription drug abuse.

Three of the disciplined students were carrying Adderall, a medication used
to treat ADHD, after either getting the drug from someone else or to give to
another student, Kendall reported. Those students were each suspended for 10
days.

The fourth student to receive disciplinary action this year was caught with
Xanax, an anxiety disorder medication. School officials determined that
student planned to sell the drug and was subsequently suspended for the rest
of the school year.

The school system's policy for selling, using or possessing drugs includes a
penalty ranging from a 10-day suspension to a 365-day suspension. First-time
policy violators must also meet with a guidance counselor and attend a
substance abuse program chosen by the superintendent.

Wilson police Sgt. D.H. Garris said local law authorities are "monitoring
the issue" of teenage prescription drug abuse. Sedatives and ADHD medication
are the most popular among teens who either use the substances or sell it to
others, he said.

It's already dangerous when young people take drugs that aren't prescribed
to them, but that grows exponentially when those adolescents mix
prescription medications with alcohol and illegal narcotics, Garris said.

"If these drugs aren't prescribed to them, they don't have any symptoms to
begin with, so they're getting the impairment," he said. "From what I've
read in most cases, these kids are taking more tablets than are prescribed
to them, or using these drugs with alcohol or marijuana, which brings in a
lot of the danger."

Parents can prevent their children from getting their hands on medications
by locking up what they have at home, and destroying old pills. Garris also
recommended adults dole out drugs for their children, no matter how old they
are or how much they protest.

"I'd encourage parents to ... give (children) their doses, rather than let
the kids administer their own medication. Parents can eliminate the
possibility of their children abusing or selling these drugs by monitoring
them," Garris said.

A PARTNERSHIP WITH THE LAW

Tougher restrictions on certain drugs that previously were available
over-the-counter have helped at least a portion of a drug problem plaguing
most parts of the U.S.

Since January 2006, ephedrine and pseudoephedrine, found in cold and allergy
medications, are only available for purchase behind the counter at
pharmacies, and only to adults ages 18 and older. Anyone buying the
medicines must show photo identification and sign a log book.

Pseudoephedrine and ephedrine are ingredients found in methamphetamines an
addictive stimulant. Authorities around the country have cracked down on
meth labs, which pose health and safety issues due to the number of toxic
chemicals used to produce the drug.

Pharmacists in Wilson say the relationships they have with local law
enforcement has been positive.

"Pharmacies have worked well with law enforcement. If they need access, they
get it," said Brian Holloman of Thomas Discount Drugs & Home Medical Supply.

That relationship could be expanded if the state legislature approves House
Bill 745, which would authorize sheriffs to examine pharmacy records that
relate to controlled substances.

"The Sheriff's Office would benefit from (the bill) if it passes," said Maj.
J.H. Farmer of the Wilson County Sheriff's Office. "With any illegal
activities, especially methamphetamines, area pharmacists have been
wonderful to work with. They have been fully cooperative. We're fortunate in
Wilson County to have a good working relationship."

So far, the bill has been referred to the Committee on Health and is sitting
in a judiciary committee in the General Assembly.

Dillard said he's certain local pharmacists would support the bill, assuming
records are only disclosed to the proper authorities.

New laws may help, experts say, but drug abuse prevention begins at home.

"You need to tell that child, 'You're an adolescent and we love you enough
that when we see there might be a problem, we'll check your dresser drawer.
We want to ensure you're safe,'" Mooring said.

Old April 5th 07, 05:55 PM posted to misc.kids.health
Jeff

"Jan Drew" wrote in message
t...
[note the lie in the first sentence].

http://www.wilsontimes.com/Wil_regio...8972009350.php

They come in small amber-colored plastic bottles with labels, prescribed
by a doctor.

I see what you mean. They come in bottles of different colors.

Unfortunately, physicians don't control what happens to drugs after they are
prescribed.

Jeff

Old April 5th 07, 08:19 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,sci.med
Mark

On Apr 5, 10:24 am, "Jan Drew" wrote:
[note the lie in the first sentence].

http://www.wilsontimes.com/Wil_regio...8972009350.php

They come in small amber-colored plastic bottles with labels, prescribed by
a doctor. They are safe when used properly by those for whom they are
prescribed.

What lie? That they come in amber bottles?

Oh! I get it. These medicines are (evidently, according to Jan)
unsafe for anyone, at any dose, under any circumstances. Kind of like
Neurontin, right?

Mark, MD

Old April 6th 07, 12:16 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,sci.med
Peter Bowditch

"Jan Drew" wrote:

[note the lie in the first sentence].

http://www.wilsontimes.com/Wil_regio...8972009350.php

They come in small amber-colored plastic bottles with labels, prescribed by
a doctor. They are safe when used properly by those for whom they are
prescribed.

Please explain what in that sentence is a lie, Jan.

That may one reason why nearly half of teenagers believe prescription
medication is safer to consume than marijuana, cocaine and other illicit
drugs.

When used properly, that is probably correct. Would you prefer it if
children threw away their prescription drugs and started doing blow?

Law enforcement agencies and other organizations in Wilson say this area
doesn't currently have a significant problem with teenage prescription drug
abuse. But if families don't take care to monitor their children,
authorities warn, that could change.

Ah, I see we are talking about abuse. That is a problem, but it has
nothing to do with drugs "when used properly by those for whom they
are prescribed".

Prescription drug abuse in the U.S. is increasing and could surpass illicit
drug use, according to a report from Partnership for a Drug-Free N.C.

Yes, drug abuse is a problem. Why is this relevant to a newsgroup
about alternative medicine?

One in 10 teenagers in N.C. reported using prescription painkillers in the
last month, the organization said in a press release, and 40 percent of
teens believe prescription medications are less risky than drugs like
marijuana, heroin and cocaine.

The writer is repeating himself. Perhaps Prozac could be effective for
the OCD.

remainder snipped by DeScaremongerer(tm)
--
Peter Bowditch aa #2243
Australian Skeptics http://www.skeptics.com.au
To email me use my first name only at ratbags.com
Old April 6th 07, 05:21 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,sci.med
JG

Jan Drew wrote:
[note the lie in the first sentence].

http://www.wilsontimes.com/Wil_regio...8972009350.php

They come in small amber-colored plastic bottles with labels, prescribed by
a doctor. They are safe when used properly by those for whom they are
prescribed.

That may one reason why nearly half of teenagers believe prescription
medication is safer to consume than marijuana, cocaine and other illicit
drugs.
Prescription drug abuse in the U.S. is increasing and could surpass illicit
drug use, according to a report from Partnership for a Drug-Free N.C.

Where is the evidence for this? Or is it the usual alarmist
drivel--like the "crack baby" scare--that these "partnership" groups put
out to increase their own importance?

One in 10 teenagers in N.C. reported using prescription painkillers in the
last month, the organization said in a press release, and 40 percent of
teens believe prescription medications are less risky than drugs like
marijuana, heroin and cocaine.

Well, possibly not marijuana, but which is likely to be more dangerous:
Pharmaceutical-grade drugs or unregulated drugs of unknown purity,
unknown dose, and with unknown contaminants?

"The crux of the problem, I believe, is teens think because a pharmaceutical
company made it, it's OK, it's not a street drug," said Phil Mooring,
executive director of Wilson Families in Action.

The crux of the problem is that the drug warriors have to keep on
producing BS to justify their worthless existence.

"We do know that prescription drug abuse is a growing trend and folks at the
federal level are very concerned. Indicators are telling us this is
something we'd better get on top of," Mooring said.

We know that self-serving groups and persons *claim* that it's a growing
trend but never produce any independent hard evidence for the claim, nor
that such use is more dangerous than using illegally produced street drugs.

Old April 7th 07, 01:04 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,sci.med
Mark Probert

JG wrote:
Jan Drew wrote:
[...]

Is this the JG of years years ago?
Old April 8th 07, 07:27 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,sci.med
Sir Arthur C.B.E. Wholeflaffers A.S.A.

Jan, this article soft-peddles a VERY serious problem, one of epidemic
proportions. With all the phony diagnosis of ADD and other pretend
Spin-Dromes and the easy availability of prescription drugs, my own
research teams estimate that in some areas, teen pharmaceutical abuse
approaches 40%. Yes, I know that is astounding, buy that may even be
an underestimate! We must do everything in our power to stand up
against this massive abuse and also those horrible drug-pushers who
appear as your kindly helpful medical person or even a so-called
"friend."

Many moons ago it was considered a thrill to take a "drag" on a
"cigarette" or even take a
"shot" out of a wine bottle. NO MORE. These kids are finding cheap
but deadly thrills popping what they may consider "safe"
pharmaceutical medication, but it is far from safe. In fact, it can
main, destroy and kill. Those are facts!

All people must band together, even the pro-med Lobby and the Iron-
Fist faction of Big Pharma to make sure these drugs are taken out of
circulation permanently. Why would these companies want to eliminate
an entire segment of our population, what are their real goals? We
must assume it is genocide and unless we stop it, it will be bye-bye
for the good ol' U.S. of A. I know our side will win but as the
General likes to say, "these is much more work to do!" And this time,
BY GOLLY, the General is right!

Thank you Jan for this article, I can assume that even the crack-pots,
such as the 3-P Boyz, will support it and spread the word, in all 50
States, and BEYOND!!!

Old April 8th 07, 10:17 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,sci.med
John Jones

On Apr 5, 4:24?pm, "Jan Drew" wrote:
[note the lie in the first sentence].

http://www.wilsontimes.com/Wil_regio...8972009350.php

They come in small amber-colored plastic bottles with labels, prescribed by
a doctor. They are safe when used properly by those for whom they are
prescribed.

People believe that mind control is safe if a doctor 'prescribes' it.
The moral panic arising from free use of drugs is in part, a response
to the threat of undermining 'the doctor'.

Old April 8th 07, 10:20 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,sci.med
John Jones

The Millenium Projecthttp://www.ratbags.com/rsoles
Australian Council Against Health Fraudhttp://www.acahf.org.au
Australian Skepticshttp://www.skeptics.com.au
To email me use my first name only at ratbags.com

Are you saying that only a 'doctor' can advise on who should have
their minds and emotions controlled? That's the lie. Or are you saying
that only a doctor can advise on what is dangerous and what is not?
That's also the lie.

Old April 8th 07, 04:47 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,alt.support.attn-deficit,misc.kids.health,sci.med
Jeff

"John Jones" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 5, 4:24?pm, "Jan Drew" wrote:
[note the lie in the first sentence].

http://www.wilsontimes.com/Wil_regio...8972009350.php

They come in small amber-colored plastic bottles with labels, prescribed
by
a doctor. They are safe when used properly by those for whom they are
prescribed.

People believe that mind control is safe if a doctor 'prescribes' it.

Doctors do not prescribe mind control. Rather, they prescribe medications
that help people take better control of thier lives. Get a clue, man.

The moral panic arising from free use of drugs is in part, a response
to the threat of undermining 'the doctor'.

This doesn't make sense, either.

There is definitely a mistaken belief that if a drug is prescribed by a
doctor, the drug is safe for other patients.

Jeff