I want to stop breast feeding

Old August 1st 07, 05:16 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Jolande

Default I want to stop breast feeding

Hi,

My name is Jolande, my son is 20 months old and still breastfeeding.
As lovely as it has been, it is really getting on my nerves now (god
that makes me sound horrible), and I really want to stop. He is, of
course, not in agreement with this plan and I thought that maybe I
could find some non-harmeful, natural remedies that could help to stop
the lactation? I managed to wean him of one of my boobs, and there is
no more milk there now, and if he tries and nothing comes out, he
gives up straight away.

I've read about breast-binding, which sounds horrible and luckily I
have also read that it doesn't work. The other tips I found was sage
tea and cabbage leaves.

Any tips?

Thanks lots!

Jolande

Old August 1st 07, 07:50 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Sarah Vaughan

Jolande wrote:
Hi,

My name is Jolande, my son is 20 months old and still breastfeeding.
As lovely as it has been, it is really getting on my nerves now (god
that makes me sound horrible), and I really want to stop. He is, of
course, not in agreement with this plan and I thought that maybe I
could find some non-harmeful, natural remedies that could help to stop
the lactation? I managed to wean him of one of my boobs, and there is
no more milk there now, and if he tries and nothing comes out, he
gives up straight away.

I've read about breast-binding, which sounds horrible and luckily I
have also read that it doesn't work. The other tips I found was sage
tea and cabbage leaves.

Hiya, Jolande! Good to see you over here.

Does it have to be natural? Sudafed is a nice simple way of reducing
milk supply (as many mothers with colds have found out to their cost!)
and would probably be cheaper. Alternatively, if you go to
http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/herbs_to_avoid.html#milksupply you can
find a list of herbs that will decrease milk supply.

All the best,

Sarah
--
http://www.goodenoughmummy.typepad.com

"That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be" - P. C. Hodgell

Old August 2nd 07, 10:16 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Jolande

On Aug 1, 7:50 pm, Sarah Vaughan wrote:
Jolande wrote:
[...]

Hi Sarah!

Haven't been on the other groups for ages!!! Changed e-mail
addresses, and haven't update my Yahoo account yet. I might try the
Sudafed, but will that mean I will have to stop cold turkey? I'm
kinda hoping that there is something that will reduce the milk-supply
whilst he still feeds, if you know what I mean. I'll have a look on
Kellymom, thanks!

I have toncillitis at the moment and am pretty doped-up as it is, so I
guess a bit of sudafed to top it all off won't harm anybody lol.

Maybe though, I should just grow some back-bone and find it in me to
say 'no' to Bowe and leave him to cry, but I just can't do it... So
my approach is, trick him by reducing milk-supply rather than being
firm and just stopping lol.

Will let you know what happens!

-x-
Jolande

Old August 2nd 07, 10:39 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Amethyst Deceiver

Jolande wrote:

Maybe though, I should just grow some back-bone and find it in me to
say 'no' to Bowe and leave him to cry, but I just can't do it... So
my approach is, trick him by reducing milk-supply rather than being
firm and just stopping lol.

How about reducing the amount of time he gets to nurse at each session.
That's probably one of the easiest ways - the amount of time it takes you to
sing a song, or recite a specific nursery rhyme, or even to count to ten.
Give him a length of time in your head, nurse him for that amount of time
and then say "you need to stop after I've [sung/recited/counted]. Then be
firm and stop. That's the bit that's hard!

--
YoungBloke: 3 years, 92cm, 13kg and still BF

Old August 2nd 07, 03:24 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Sue

Taking away a feed at a time is usually leads to them weaning. Instead of
nursing at that time, then go out for a walk or distract him with something
else. Usually, the wake up feed and bed time feed is the last to go. Let him
pick out a new sippy cup or something so he has an incentive? Good luck.)
--
Sue

oups.com...

Old August 2nd 07, 06:55 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Sarah Vaughan

Jolande wrote:

Hi Sarah!

Haven't been on the other groups for ages!!! Changed e-mail
addresses, and haven't update my Yahoo account yet.

I did wonder where you'd got to! Good to see you back on there today.

I might try the
Sudafed, but will that mean I will have to stop cold turkey? I'm
kinda hoping that there is something that will reduce the milk-supply
whilst he still feeds, if you know what I mean.

In that case, I think you're in luck, because I think any of the
recommended stuff is going to reduce your supply rather than stop it -
after 20 months of feeding on demand, I think your supply is going to be
well enough established that no medication's going to stop it dead.

Probably your best bet is to start with one thing, see how that goes,
then add other things to it as you feel the need in order to suppress
your supply more & more.

BTW, I found that what worked with my own constant nurser was to try
providing other things first whenever he wanted to nurse (food, drink
from his sippy cup, a cuddle/walk around the room) but not make a big
deal about it if he wanted to nurse despite the alternatives being on
offer. I did use a dummy for him but am not sure I'd recommend this,
although it worked with the weaning - the result was that he ended up
using the dummy a lot instead and it did delay his speech a lot. He was
only about a year old when I was doing this, though, and I think at 20
months he'd probably have been harder to distract.

[...]
Maybe though, I should just grow some back-bone and find it in me to
say 'no' to Bowe and leave him to cry, but I just can't do it... So
my approach is, trick him by reducing milk-supply rather than being
firm and just stopping lol.

I don't think it's a matter of not having a backbone. Not wanting to
upset your child unnecessarily strikes me as a pretty reasonable goal. ;-)

All the best,

Sarah

Old August 3rd 07, 05:15 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
barb

On Aug 1, 11:16 am, Jolande wrote:
Hi,

My name is Jolande, my son is 20 months old and still breastfeeding.
As lovely as it has been, it is really getting on my nerves now (god
that makes me sound horrible), and I really want to stop. He is, of
course, not in agreement with this plan and I thought that maybe I
could find some non-harmeful, natural remedies that could help to stop
the lactation? I managed to wean him of one of my boobs, and there is
no more milk there now, and if he tries and nothing comes out, he
gives up straight away.

I've read about breast-binding, which sounds horrible and luckily I
have also read that it doesn't work. The other tips I found was sage
tea and cabbage leaves.

Any tips?

Thanks lots!

Jolande

Well, when my son was 18 months old I had to quit nursing because of
illness and it only took a couple of days of not nursing and my milk
supply was decreased to almost nothing. I just offered a sippy cup,
did outdoor things at the nursing time, and soon he forgot all about
it. You can do it, just say no and offer something else. How about a
favorite show on tv or a snack and special drink. We've all been
there and it isn't fun but the end result is great....Time to
quit....barb

Old August 3rd 07, 09:49 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Jolande

I did wonder where you'd got to! Good to see you back on there today.

Thanks! I've updated my yahoo account and send some of the girls
there in stitches telling about my experience with baked beans.

Probably your best bet is to start with one thing, see how that goes,
then add other things to it as you feel the need in order to suppress
your supply more & more.

Yeah, I got some Sudafed in yesterday, cause I could do with some
anyway, so I'm taking that at the moment. I also got some sage and
made some sage tea, but this morning, everything still tastes of sage,
so I'll drop that for the moment.

BTW, I found that what worked with my own constant nurser was to try
providing other things first whenever he wanted to nurse (food, drink
from his sippy cup, a cuddle/walk around the room) but not make a big
deal about it if he wanted to nurse despite the alternatives being on
offer. I did use a dummy for him but am not sure I'd recommend this,
although it worked with the weaning - the result was that he ended up
using the dummy a lot instead and it did delay his speech a lot. He was
only about a year old when I was doing this, though, and I think at 20
months he'd probably have been harder to distract.

I think a distraction in the form of a walk or something might be a
good idea. He's also starting to approach the tantrum stage, if he
doesn't get what he wants, he screams and if you try to pick him up,
he turns himself in some sort of surfboard (arms up, legs
outstretched), but if I could distract him just before that, it could
be a good plan. I'm also giving him some horlix at night before
bedtime, and he slept all the way through the night again yesterday,
so I should be able to last with just one feed a day, before going to
bed. And it shouldn't be too hard to cut down from one feed,
hopefully.

I don't think it's a matter of not having a backbone. Not wanting to
upset your child unnecessarily strikes me as a pretty reasonable goal. ;-)

Thanks, I agree. The thing is, I psyched myself up to trying it on
two occasions, and found myself giving in both times, and I feel I am
doing more harm than good, because he will a - learn that screaming a
specific way will get him what he wants, and b - he has been really
upset for no good reason. So that has been a definite no-no for me.

-x-
Jolande

~Don't put off till tomorrow what someone else can do for you today~

Old August 3rd 07, 09:50 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Jolande

On Aug 3, 5:15 am, barb wrote:
[...]

quit....barb- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Barb, I'm going to try the distracting thing and aiding the
drying-up process with some sudafed and see how far we get from there!

Old August 3rd 07, 09:53 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Jolande

On Aug 2, 10:39 am, "Amethyst Deceiver"
wrote:
Jolande wrote:
Maybe though, I should just grow some back-bone and find it in me to
say 'no' to Bowe and leave him to cry, but I just can't do it... So
my approach is, trick him by reducing milk-supply rather than being
firm and just stopping lol.

How about reducing the amount of time he gets to nurse at each session.
That's probably one of the easiest ways - the amount of time it takes you to
sing a song, or recite a specific nursery rhyme, or even to count to ten.
Give him a length of time in your head, nurse him for that amount of time
and then say "you need to stop after I've [sung/recited/counted]. Then be
firm and stop. That's the bit that's hard!

--
YoungBloke: 3 years, 92cm, 13kg and still BF

Ah I've tried that! But then he is right back at it a hole nursery
song later haha. However, that tactic has worked with getting him to
sleep unaided! He gets to nurse for 200 very fast counts (in my head)
and then I count backwards from 10 out loud and then give him a kiss,
put him down and walk away. By now, when I say 10, he tends to latch
off and give me a quick cuddle.

-x-
Jolande

Breast Feeding Hippie Chick Breastfeeding 0 April 8th 07 07:13 PM
Breast-feeding! Dan MacKay Pregnancy 1 August 4th 06 08:59 PM
Breast-feeding! Dan MacKay Solutions 1 August 4th 06 08:59 PM
Breast feeding... Day 18 K-K ~Glass Boobs~ Breastfeeding 22 November 26th 03 05:33 PM
Senator seeks to stop fat suit feeding frenzy JG Kids Health 0 July 18th 03 09:05 AM