Use of Phenegan for long haul flight?

Old March 20th 04, 08:32 AM
Paradise News

Default Use of Phenegan for long haul flight?

We are going on a 30 hour trip, from New Zealand to the UK, with our 9 month
old next week. Many people have recommended using Penegan to help our
daughter adjust to the time zones (from NZ to LA will be her usual sleep
time, but from LA to UK will be night time in the UK - then we arrive at
10am in the UK). So they've recommended using it on the LA to UK leg to
help her sleep and arrive in the UK ready to face a full day, before
settling to sleep in the evening.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had any experience with this and
whether or not it worked for them?

I am very reluctant to use anything and am hoping that after a few unsettled
nights we'll be able to get Charlotte adjusted when we arrive in the UK -
just with longer naps on the first day - then probably sitting quietly in
the dark when she feels wakeful on the first night etc. However, I am
nervous that she might get terribly over tired on the flight, as it will be
so over stimulating for her, and that it might be handy to have 'something'
in my pocket just in case we get desperate!

We are not guaranteed a bassinet (only up to 8 months with Air New Zealand),
but we have been told that if a bassinet is available when we check-in then
it will be allocated to us. - So if we don't get a bassinet we'll have to
have Charlotte sleeping on our laps - fortunately she's a wee 7.2kg and very
cuddly - but nevertheless she'll probably feel a little 'over handled' after
30 hours of travelling!

Anyone else done a long haul flight and have any tips?

Many thanks,

Sarah

Old March 20th 04, 12:37 PM
Fliss

Hi,
We took our (then) 7 month old twins to Australia from the UK, for
Christmas.
I took the Phenegan with us, but didn't need it on the flight - the first
night there though was another story...:-) We had 2 very happy bouncing
babies at 3am - they just wanted to play. It didn't help that they were in
our room, and we've never had them sleep with us before. So 2.5ml, and 20
mins later we were all back asleep. It took them 4 nights to adjust
completely, though I didn't use the Phenegan again until we got back to the
UK.
Other tips - They nursed a lot during the flight, so make sure you drink
lots of water and juice, and try and keep away from the wine and coffee.
We also used separate Nappy and Food bags onboard which was useful.
On the way to Australia we had 2 carseat-type chairs for the boys - they
were on the bulkhead in front of us - and they worked well. I was expecting
the flight the be horrific, but it was fine. There was just so much for them
too see - and they are very good sleepers anyway.
On the return flight we only got 1 bassinette - so that was much harder.
I found the crew to be really helpful, but I'm not shy to ask for help:-)
They happily heated food, carried bags...and even got the double buggy
onboard for us. Make sure you take an umbrella style one though.
We got off the plane for a stretch in Singapore on the way over - and it was
a bit rushed - so I wouldn't do that for only an hour stopover again. We did
attract a crowd though - I came out of the ladies, to find DH and the boys
surrounded by Singaporeans - one with a video camera! Very weird.
Good Luck with your flight - it's nice to know you have the Phenergan "just
in case" :-)

Fliss

Old March 20th 04, 01:19 PM
Larissa

Paradise News wrote:
[...]

If you intend using phenergan, try it out on your child first. I know my
sister used to have a bad reaction to it when she was a toddler. Instead
of making her sleepy it hyped her up to bouncing off the walls.

I have never used phenergan. A couple of years ago we took a just 3yo
and 12 month old to The Netherlands from Australia, we arrived in europe
in the morning, we were all in bed at 4pm the first day, 6pm the second
day and around 9 the following day. The kids were up at around 4am the
first day. It was a bit of a pain the first few days but the kids
adjusted fairly well I thought.

I dreaded the flights over, 7 hours or so to a stopover in Singapore
(about 2 hours time difference) for a day then had the last 13 hours to
Amsterdam in one hit. I would highly recommend a stopover if possible.
The flights ended up fine. The little one did not like the bassinet, but
the bulkhead seats were great. There was more leg room for DH and I who
are both tall and the kids could crawl around and climb on us with room
to move. They managed to play with everything from plastic cups to small
toys provided by the airline. I took snacks and small toys, a couple of
books and they also slept.

It was not as bad as I thought it would be at all. The 3yo had her own
seat but the 12month old sat on my lap with a strap to go around him
that connected to my lap strap.

Enjoy your trip!

larissa

Old March 20th 04, 11:58 PM
Kate J

Hi Sarah,

I have flown back and forth from NZ to the UK with children of various
ages. We used Phenergan with our 2 yr old and it was a disaster - she
became very hyper (as another poster mentioned) and we discovered
afterwards that if you use too low a dose (which we obviously had
done) there is a paradoxical excitation effect.

With babies, we have always found (and we have flown lots of times)
that the roar of the engines and the vibration knocks them right out
and they sleep for large chunks of the flight. To be honest, I'm not
sure that Phenergan would buy you much. The best thing to do with it
would probably be for *you* to take it so that at least you get some
sleep on the flight Especially because afterwards, jet lag is a
killer - it is really hard entertaining a small baby at 3 am when they
are wide awake and well slept and you aren't. (Last time, after a
flight from NZ, I loaded my 7 month old into the car and took her
supermarket shopping in the 24 hour Tesco at 4 am. I'm sure the staff
must have thought we were crazy - but we were both wide awake and the
cupboards were bare).

Other tips - take lots of toys and quiet stuff to do. It really is a
long flight and it's tough in the nighttime stretch when they shut
down the lights and services for the 7 hours that corresponds to
nighttime for the majority, who got on the plane at the stopover
point, but is mid-morning for the few people that got on in NZ. Last
time, I ended up hanging out with the cabin staff in the galley to try
and staff off the insanity.

Good luck!

Kate

Old March 21st 04, 05:43 AM
Sarah

Thank you all for your great tips and entertaining postings. All the best to
you all for future trips. Hubbie and I are from the UK, but been living in
NZ for the past 6 years, we've done the flight heaps - but never with a baby
and know that this will be the first of many flights with a little'un for us
(and hopefully more than one in coming years!) - so hopefully all goes well!

Many thanks,

Sarah