Am I doing the right thing (plugged duct)?

Old March 18th 04, 05:30 PM
DeliciousTruffles

Default Am I doing the right thing (plugged duct)?

Idiot me wore a too-tight bra for a full day and now my breasts are
sore. I am suspecting a partially plugged ducts. I have been pumping
every time I feel a bit full and also if Isabella hasn't nursed long
enough to take away that soreness. But now my supply is increasing
because of the added pumping.

When I pump I massage the sore spots (right near the underarm). The
spots are very specific (my whole breasts are not sore just there).

I am so paranoid to avoid plugging these ducts and ending up with mastitis.

Am I doing the right thing by pumping or am I making it worse by
increasing the supply? Is this a "catch-22" situation?

--
Brigitte aa #2145
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...elected=782084

~ Harriet Martineau

Old March 18th 04, 05:37 PM
Mary W.

DeliciousTruffles wrote:

Idiot me wore a too-tight bra for a full day and now my breasts are
sore. I am suspecting a partially plugged ducts. I have been pumping
every time I feel a bit full and also if Isabella hasn't nursed long
enough to take away that soreness. But now my supply is increasing
because of the added pumping.

When I pump I massage the sore spots (right near the underarm). The
spots are very specific (my whole breasts are not sore just there).

I am so paranoid to avoid plugging these ducts and ending up with mastitis.

Am I doing the right thing by pumping or am I making it worse by
increasing the supply? Is this a "catch-22" situation?

I was never able to clear a plugged duct with pumping. What usually
helped was moist heat (I used a disposable diaper, wetted down
and microwaved until warm and put that on the clogged area, then
massaged while DD nursed). There's a way to position the baby
so that they clear that duct, but I can't remember how it goes.
Warm showers and massaging while under the hot spray can
help too.

Mary

Old March 18th 04, 05:43 PM
Anne Rogers

hmm, not sure as I never had plugged ducts early on, I'd be tempted to not
pump unless you really really had to, massage before feeds, feed on the
sore side first. I've also had success with giving the sore area a gentle
squeeze.
Old March 18th 04, 06:02 PM
Luna

I've read that moist heat and positioning - pointing the nursling's chin
towards the plugged area, if I remember correctly - are the best treatments
for plugged ducts.
hth
Hannah

Old March 18th 04, 07:34 PM
JennP

"Mary W." wrote in message

I was never able to clear a plugged duct with pumping. What usually
helped was moist heat (I used a disposable diaper, wetted down
and microwaved until warm and put that on the clogged area, then
massaged while DD nursed).

I also used moist heat. I'd sit in the tub with very warm wash cloths on my
breasts and massage. I also massaged while ds was nursing. Seemed to help a
lot.

There's a way to position the baby
so that they clear that duct, but I can't remember how it goes.

I *think* it's to position the baby so the nose points toward the plugged
area.

--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old March 18th 04, 07:40 PM
Bruce and Jeanne

DeliciousTruffles wrote:

Idiot me wore a too-tight bra for a full day and now my breasts are
sore. I am suspecting a partially plugged ducts. I have been pumping
every time I feel a bit full and also if Isabella hasn't nursed long
enough to take away that soreness. But now my supply is increasing
because of the added pumping.

When I pump I massage the sore spots (right near the underarm). The
spots are very specific (my whole breasts are not sore just there).

Massage toward the nipple during nursing sessions. Also take a warm/hot
shower and massage then as well.

I am so paranoid to avoid plugging these ducts and ending up with mastitis.

Am I doing the right thing by pumping or am I making it worse by
increasing the supply? Is this a "catch-22" situation?

I've never pumped with plugged ducts (mainly because I don't have a
strong professional pump), I would generally nurse more often, starting
with the breast with the clogged duct. Aim the baby's chin toward the
duct (this can lead to acrobatic positionings).

With dire cases, I put cabbage leaves on the clogged duct - BUT this
should be done very sparingly.

Jeanne

Old March 18th 04, 07:44 PM
JennP

"JennP" wrote in message

I *think* it's to position the baby so the nose points toward the plugged
area.

I was wrong, after reading a couple of other posts I remembered it was the
chin.

It's been a while...
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old March 18th 04, 08:10 PM
PattyMomVA

"JennP" wrote in message
news:LQm6c.37193$SR1.42097@attbi_s04... and I snipped:

I also used moist heat. I'd sit in the tub with very warm wash cloths on

my
breasts and massage. I also massaged while ds was nursing. Seemed to help

lot.

The other idea I've heard is to take ibuprofen and use a cold pack on the
area to first reduce the swelling in the tissue around the plug, effectively
increasing the duct's width. Then, use the warm cloths right before and
during nursing to loosen the plug and get it out.

HTH,
-Patty, mom to Corinne (6y) and Nathan (3.5y)
and stepmom to Victoria (13.5y)

Old March 18th 04, 10:37 PM
Cathy

PattyMomVA wrote:
"JennP" wrote in message
news:LQm6c.37193$SR1.42097@attbi_s04... and I snipped:

I also used moist heat. I'd sit in the tub with very warm wash
cloths on my breasts and massage. I also massaged while ds was
nursing. Seemed to help a lot.

The other idea I've heard is to take ibuprofen and use a cold pack on
the area to first reduce the swelling in the tissue around the plug,
effectively increasing the duct's width. Then, use the warm cloths
right before and during nursing to loosen the plug and get it out.

This is what worked for me - and I have lost count of the number of times I
have a plugged duct that reduced me to tears as it was so painful (well over
a dozen). Ibuprofen and a cold pack, and cabbage leaves worked really well
once - they were directly from the fridge, and I got a let down instantly
which relieved things heaps. I also went braless if I could, and the breast
leaked which also helped reduce the pressure. We tried really weird nursing
positions too - like lying over DD who was on her back, so the breast was
dangling. But every time, in the end, DD cleared it for me, but I'd end up
with several days of nipple pain and a bruised feeling breast. I hope it
doesn't get to this for you Brigitte.

Cathy

Old March 18th 04, 10:57 PM
Nikki

DeliciousTruffles wrote:
Am I doing the right thing by pumping or am I making it worse by
increasing the supply?

I don't know. I've only had a couple plugged ducts. I dealt with them
successfully by always having the baby feed off that breast first. I also
did the massage thing but start way up high in the arm pit area (much higher
then you might think necessary) and message towards the nipple. Doing this
in a hot shower will work nicely.

Hope it clears soon!

--
Nikki