Jenny McCarthy In 'Time': I Fixed My Son's Autism

Old February 26th 10, 09:38 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,sci.med
john[_5_]

Default Jenny McCarthy In 'Time': I Fixed My Son's Autism

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_476881.html

McCarthy talks about everything she's done to "fix" her 7-year-old son's
autism since he was diagnosed in 2005, in an interview in Time.
She believes Evan's autism was caused by the MMR (measles, mumps and
rubella) shot and as previously eradicated diseases such as measles and
meningitis reemerge in unvaccinated children, some label the unsubstantiated
claims of McCarthy's camp a public health risk.
After being put through every behavioral, medicinal and alternative autism
treatment in the book, Evan does appear "cured," though it's not certain he
ever even had autism:
Evan's symptoms -- heavy seizures, followed by marked improvement once the
seizures were brought under control -- are similar to those of
Landau-Kleffner syndrome, a rare childhood neurological disorder that can
also result in speech impairment and possible long-term neurological damage.
Or, as other pediatricians have suggested, perhaps the miracle I have beheld
is the quotidian miracle of childhood development: a delayed 2-year-old
catching up by the time he is 7, a commonplace, routine occurrence, nothing
more surprising than a short boy growing tall. It is enraging to the mother
to hear that nothing was wrong with her boy -- she held him during his
seizures, saw his eyes roll up after he received his vaccines -- and how can
you say that she doesn't know what she knows?
McCarthy now supports more research into vaccinations rather than
eliminating them entirely and allows for the possibility of an environmental
cause contributing to the upswing in autism diagnoses. Here are some
excerpts from the interview:
On hope:
"Try everything. Hope is the only thing that will get us up in the morning."
On Evan's "recovery":
"Evan couldn't talk -- now he talks. Evan couldn't make eye contact -- now
he makes eye contact. Evan was antisocial -- now he makes friends. It was
amazing to watch, over the course of doing this, how certain therapies work
for certain kids and they completely don't work for others ... When
something didn't work for Evan, I didn't stop. I stopped that treatment, but
I didn't stop."
On the relationship between vaccines and autism:
"Come and see our kids. Why won't the CDC come and talk to the mothers, talk
to the families? Then tell us there isn't a link."

Old February 26th 10, 03:59 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,sci.med
Peter B[_2_]

"john" wrote in message
[...]

You cannot convince ghost whisperers that there are no ghosts.