how do you know when to get checked out?

Old October 31st 08, 10:27 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

Default how do you know when to get checked out?

I'm feeling grotty today, I really do think it's just a combination of
round ligament pain, having a cold, being sick etc.

But, it had me thinking, most of the ligament twinges are on the low
right side, right where the appendix is, given I'm vomitting anyway, I'd
miss that warning sign of appendicitis. Thankfully despite the fact I'm
sweating and feeling cold all at the same time, my temperature is normal.

I'm also sore in the upper right quadrant, under my ribs, again, it's
not that unusual for me, but with everything else going on, I probably
wouldn't pick up any other symptoms.

Of course all this is 99.9% certain to be just me feeling grotty
worrying about every twinge, but it did have me worried for a while,
particularly because I know that if it really was something I'd be
feeling a lot worse in a few hours and that would give less time for
action and on the off chance anything bad was happening, I'd rather have
time on my side.

I know that I tend to experience a fair amount of twinges early on, it
seems that my uterus needs to get used to having something in it, both
of my last pregnancies this has got to a point where I've been doubled
up in agony and my DH has had to say to me that I really do need to get
checked. I'm starting to wonder if my no scanning unless needed plan
might have actually been better to be get an early scan check everything
is in the right place, then you can relax. If I remember rightly the
really bad pain was a bit later on that I am now, which would have made
an ectopic unlikely because I was past the upper end of the normal
range, but now, at 7+5 I think I'm right in the middle of it.

Cheers
Anne
Old November 2nd 08, 10:52 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
NL

Anne Rogers wrote:
[...]

To check for appendicitis you pull up your leg with bent knee all the
way to your body and then stretch it out really quick, kicking down. if
that hurts really bad you need to see a doc. You can also lay on your
back and push down into your right side as far as you can and then let
go quickly. You're checking for rebound pain. If you have rebound pain
you'd better go and see a doc and let him check you out.

Also, if you're worried enough to ask here... That might mean you should
go and see your doc?

take care
nicole
Old November 2nd 08, 09:58 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

To check for appendicitis you pull up your leg with bent knee all the
way to your body and then stretch it out really quick, kicking down. if
that hurts really bad you need to see a doc. You can also lay on your
back and push down into your right side as far as you can and then let
go quickly. You're checking for rebound pain. If you have rebound pain
you'd better go and see a doc and let him check you out.

Also, if you're worried enough to ask here... That might mean you should
go and see your doc?

That test is really useful to know, thanks - though based on that test,
I should have had appendicitis in my last pregnancy - actually, the docs
thought I did to, temp was up, had rebound pain, urine and blood had all
the correct flags, then they did an ultrasound which didn't show the
inflamed appendix, boy was I glad they did that, not everyone does and I
could have been opened up before they realised I didn't, because it
really was bizzarre, every test pointed to it, but it turned out in the
end that my right kidney was the source of the problem as it was swollen
and infected, though I never had any symptoms like back pain of a kidney
issue.

For a moment on Friday afternoon I was worried because I really did feel
awful, but knowing I had a stinking cold did make me think I could
probably discount most of the feelings and the pain probably was round
ligament pain. I was going to call my midwife, but somehow I've
misplaced the contact details sheet, I thought it was with the informed
consent thing I had to read through, but it wasn't and I can't locate
it. By the time I had been through all that, the worse pain had past and
through I still feel very twingy, it's obvious that other symptoms are
just cold not pregnancy, or appendicitis related. I guess I now know for
future reference (though I hope never to have to use it), is that with
my tendency to round ligament pain, an early ultrasound may well be
useful reassurance.

Cheers
Anne
Old November 2nd 08, 10:28 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
NL

Anne Rogers wrote:

[...]

Yes, but testing "from the outside in" is kind of prone to inaccuracy.
Also, two of my friends have told me they were feeling sick and throwing
up for a week before being diagnosed with appendicitis so that might be
another "marker". I still have my appendix but I'm somewhat paranoid
about appendicitis, so that's why I know those tests *lol*.

For a moment on Friday afternoon I was worried because I really did feel
awful, but knowing I had a stinking cold did make me think I could
probably discount most of the feelings and the pain probably was round
ligament pain. I was going to call my midwife, but somehow I've
misplaced the contact details sheet, I thought it was with the informed
consent thing I had to read through, but it wasn't and I can't locate
it. By the time I had been through all that, the worse pain had past and
through I still feel very twingy, it's obvious that other symptoms are
just cold not pregnancy, or appendicitis related. I guess I now know for
future reference (though I hope never to have to use it), is that with
my tendency to round ligament pain, an early ultrasound may well be
useful reassurance.

Yes. I think that's why most docs do the early ultrasound, not because
it's so useful for diagnosing anything but because it's very reassuring
for the mother.

cu
nicole - nak and dead tired

Old November 3rd 08, 05:38 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

Yes, but testing "from the outside in" is kind of prone to inaccuracy.
Also, two of my friends have told me they were feeling sick and throwing
up for a week before being diagnosed with appendicitis so that might be
another "marker". I still have my appendix but I'm somewhat paranoid
about appendicitis, so that's why I know those tests *lol*.

Oh, I realise that, I guess it explains why some people end up on the
table, opened up with nothing wrong, because sometimes we get freaky
results for other reasons. I think the sickness is a common but not
guaranteed symptom - I was being sick btw and that was another thing
that was worrying me now, I'm being sick fairly regularly, so there
wouldn't be that warning sign. My mum nearly died from appendicitis in
the mid 60s, she had plenty of symptoms, but nothing showed up on her
blood tests, eventually they decided she was ill enough they had to open
her up and they did a midline incision and found an appendix that was
about to burst, I think it did burst whilst they tried to get it, the
doctors gave her a 10% chance of survival and she was in hospital for
weeks and missed nearly a year of school. Seems access to imaging
techniques in situations like this is a good thing!

Yes. I think that's why most docs do the early ultrasound, not because
it's so useful for diagnosing anything but because it's very reassuring
for the mother.

I know I've seen results that ultrasounds in general don't improve
outcomes and in theory reassurance should show up on that as stress is
known to worsen outcomes and lack of reassurance would probably equal
stress, but then I think they may well have been studies on 2nd
trimester ultrasounds, I don't recall seeing anything separate about 1st
trimester ones.

Cheers
Anne