Impossible to get Hib & Meningitis Vaccinations?

Old September 19th 06, 10:01 PM posted to sci.med,sci.med.immunology,sci.med.pharmacy,misc.kids.health
MarkF786

Default Impossible to get Hib & Meningitis Vaccinations?

Does anyone know where an adult can get Hib & Meningitis vaccinations?
I've spent almost a month trying to find a doctor or clinic that will
give me the vaccinations. Some background:

I had my spleen removed as a teenager (about 20 years ago). A few
months ago I had a near fatal infection of bacterial meningitis along
with sepsis. My infectious disease doctor recommended that I get
several vaccinations including a pneumovax, a meningitis vaccine, and a
Hib vaccine (these recommendation match the CDC guidlines in their pink
book).

The worst to track down is the Hib. Doctors that treat adults do not
carry the vaccine (and apparently they can only order it by the lot),
and pediatricians refuse to give it to me since I'm an adult. I have a
written presciption from my infectious disease doctor (for Hib Titer)
but can't find a pharmacy that can order it.

There been a similar problem with the meningitis vaccine (Menomune).
The closest I've gotten is travel medicine clinics that carry it but
tell me they will only give it to me if I'm going to a foreign country.
An example of the comedy of the situation is the other day I saw a
story on CNN that was recommending all college students to get the
meningitis vaccine; I thought, "Good luck finding a doctor that can
give it to you."

I've called the CDC, the county health department, numerous doctors
(infections disease, general practitioners, pediatricians), and
numerous pharmacies. Though the CDC and county health department think
it's absurd that none of the doctors can give me the vaccinations, none
of the doctors or clinics they referred me to could give me the
vaccines either.

If anyone can give me advice on how/where I can get these vaccinations,
I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Thanks!

Mark

P.S. In live in the New Jersey/Philadelphia area.

Old September 19th 06, 10:40 PM posted to sci.med,sci.med.immunology,sci.med.pharmacy,misc.kids.health
Mark Probert

MarkF786 wrote:
[...]

Have you asked the doctor who told you to get them? He should have an idea.

As for pediatricians...they can give you the shot and I would expect
that if your infectious disease doctor contacted one and asked for a
courtesy on your behalf, you would have no problems.
Old September 19th 06, 10:50 PM posted to sci.med,sci.med.immunology,sci.med.pharmacy,misc.kids.health
Steven Bornfeld

MarkF786 wrote:
[...]

Seems strange that an internist couldn't get these vaccines, and can't
imagine a reason why they wouldn't give it to you, unless you tested
positive for antibodies or antigens.
I received my series of Hb vaccine (Recombivax) in 1987 (at age 35).
It is recommended that anyone in regular contact with human blood or
other bodily fluids be immunized (as well as those on renal dialysis,
and some chronically institutionalized. There may be other at-risk
groups as well--I'm not an expert here). So most healthcare workers in
regular contact with patients get the Hb vaccine (I am a dentist). I'm
not as familiar with guidelines for vaccines against meningococcal
meningitis.

Steve

Old September 19th 06, 11:26 PM posted to sci.med,sci.med.immunology,sci.med.pharmacy,misc.kids.health
Jeff

"MarkF786" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone know where an adult can get Hib & Meningitis vaccinations?
I've spent almost a month trying to find a doctor or clinic that will
give me the vaccinations. Some background:

I had my spleen removed as a teenager (about 20 years ago). A few
months ago I had a near fatal infection of bacterial meningitis along
with sepsis. My infectious disease doctor recommended that I get
several vaccinations including a pneumovax, a meningitis vaccine, and a
Hib vaccine (these recommendation match the CDC guidlines in their pink
book).

Ask your infectious disease doctor. He or she should know. In addition, you
can try contact the immunization office at your local or county health
department.

Jeff

Old September 20th 06, 12:13 AM posted to sci.med,sci.med.immunology,sci.med.pharmacy,misc.kids.health
MarkF786

I appreciate many people's advice to try my infectious disease doctor,
but I did - several times. My infectious disease doctor tells me my
primary care physician should give it to my, but my PCP tells me my
infectious disease doctor should. I've called other infectious disease
doctors who again refer me to my PCP. I've called other PCPs who refer
me to infectious disease doctors. I've called pediatricians who refer
me to my PCP. The CDC and county health department refer me to either
infectious disease doctors or my PCP. See where this is going? ;-)
Everyone I call refers me to someone else - and I've probably called
near 50+ doctors over the past month. One day I became very determined
and spent 6 hours calling doctor-after-doctor.

With both my infectious disease doctor and PCP, I've called them more
than 10 times each, have visited their offices, etc. I'm worried
they're going to axe me as a patient ;-) The only thing I can get from
them are prescriptions for the actual vaccines which they tell me to
fill and bring back to the office, but pharmacies can't fill the
prescriptions.

The situations is pure insanity.

Mark

Old September 20th 06, 12:39 AM posted to sci.med,sci.med.immunology,sci.med.pharmacy,misc.kids.health
Jeff

"MarkF786" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I'd try calling the Philadelphia Health Department and maybe the folks at
the infectious disease department at Penn.

http://pennhealth.com/Wagform/MainPa...der&P=LP&ID=66

These people are in the travel medicine program, too. They give lots of
immunizations. You can also try the state health department. You might have
to find the makers of the vaccines and call them, too. Maybe they can
arrange for someone to give you the shots or tell you who has them.

Jeff

Old September 21st 06, 12:01 PM posted to sci.med,sci.med.immunology,sci.med.pharmacy,misc.kids.health
CWatters

"MarkF786" wrote in message
oups.com...
I appreciate many people's advice to try my infectious disease doctor,
but I did - several times. My infectious disease doctor tells me my
primary care physician should give it to my, but my PCP tells me my
infectious disease doctor should.

Bang their heads together.

The situations is pure insanity.

Agreed.

Old September 21st 06, 12:05 PM posted to sci.med,sci.med.immunology,sci.med.pharmacy,misc.kids.health
CWatters

"MarkF786" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone know where an adult can get Hib & Meningitis vaccinations?

I believe Meningitis vaccinations are required/recommended for travel to
some African countries.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/travel/africa/ethiopia.shtml

Try calling a PCP and telling him you are going abroad on holiday.

Old September 22nd 06, 06:13 AM posted to sci.med,sci.med.immunology,sci.med.pharmacy,misc.kids.health
PF Riley

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 21:50:08 GMT, Steven Bornfeld
wrote:

MarkF786 wrote:
The worst to track down is the Hib. Doctors that treat adults do not
carry the vaccine (and apparently they can only order it by the lot),
and pediatricians refuse to give it to me since I'm an adult. I have a
written presciption from my infectious disease doctor (for Hib Titer)
but can't find a pharmacy that can order it.

I received my series of Hb vaccine (Recombivax) in 1987 (at age 35).
It is recommended that anyone in regular contact with human blood or
other bodily fluids be immunized (as well as those on renal dialysis,
and some chronically institutionalized. There may be other at-risk
groups as well--I'm not an expert here). So most healthcare workers in
regular contact with patients get the Hb vaccine (I am a dentist).

You are talking about hepatitis B vaccine. He is talking about
Haemophilus influenzae type b vaccine.

PF