cloth swim diaper?

Old January 11th 05, 11:23 PM
Kim E

Default cloth swim diaper?

Hi-
We use cloth diapers - mostly chinese prefolds with wraps. I was wondering,
what do people who use cloth do for swim diapers? I have seen disposable
swim diapers, are there some special cloth type diapers to use for swimming?

Thanks

-kim

Old January 12th 05, 12:19 AM
Irrational Number

Kim E wrote:
Hi-
We use cloth diapers - mostly chinese prefolds with wraps. I was wondering,
what do people who use cloth do for swim diapers? I have seen disposable
swim diapers, are there some special cloth type diapers to use for swimming?

For swimming in a public pool, you need to
get a rubber-ized diaper, which just looks
like little shorts with good elastic to
keep poopy material in. They don't wear
anything underneath it and it is washable.

They don't care if kids pee in the pool,
since urine is sterile. They just don't
want fecal material floating around.

Why do you want to use cloth diapers for
swimming in?

-- Anita --

Old January 12th 05, 01:42 AM
Kim E

"Irrational Number" wrote in message
ink.net...
Kim E wrote:
Hi-
We use cloth diapers - mostly chinese prefolds with wraps. I was
wondering, what do people who use cloth do for swim diapers? I have seen
disposable swim diapers, are there some special cloth type diapers to use
for swimming?

For swimming in a public pool, you need to
get a rubber-ized diaper, which just looks
like little shorts with good elastic to
keep poopy material in. They don't wear
anything underneath it and it is washable.

They don't care if kids pee in the pool,
since urine is sterile. They just don't
want fecal material floating around.

Thanks, that is all the info i was looking for! And yes, that would be
gross to have fecal material floating around in a pool - yuck!

Why do you want to use cloth diapers for
swimming in?

I didn't really, i just meant what could i use for a swim diaper other than
the disposables, and you answered my question!

-kim

Old January 12th 05, 02:16 AM
Tracey

"Kim E" wrote in message
Hi-
We use cloth diapers - mostly chinese prefolds with wraps. I was

wondering,
what do people who use cloth do for swim diapers? I have seen disposable
swim diapers, are there some special cloth type diapers to use for

swimming?
=

I don't use cloth, but I purchased a bathing suit with a built in swim
diaper. Basically it is a pair of plastic pants with elastic leg built into
it. Sometimes it says it on the tag, otherwise you'll see it when you look
inside the suit.

I'm sure they are widely available, as I have purchased them both at
Wal-Mart and JC Penney in the past. Also I know that OnestepAhead usually
has them in the catalog in the spring. Here are a couple that I googled up
with the terms Bathing Suit Swim Diaper:

http://www.babyultimate.com/tobasupa2.html
http://www.swim2000.com/category.php?c=39

Old January 12th 05, 03:44 AM
Irrational Number

Kim E wrote:
"Irrational Number" wrote in message
ink.net...

They don't care if kids pee in the pool,
since urine is sterile. They just don't
want fecal material floating around.

Thanks, that is all the info i was looking for! And yes, that would be
gross to have fecal material floating around in a pool - yuck!

Why do you want to use cloth diapers for
swimming in?

I didn't really, i just meant what could i use for a swim diaper other than
the disposables, and you answered my question!

Oh, okay!

In fact, Water Babies, which is where I
took Pillbug for swim lessons, says that
they do not allow disposable swim diapers
at all, which do NOT keep in poop. All
they do is not swell up when wet.

-- Anita --

Old January 12th 05, 12:48 PM
Hillary Israeli

In . net,
Irrational Number wrote:

*In fact, Water Babies, which is where I
*took Pillbug for swim lessons, says that
*they do not allow disposable swim diapers
*at all, which do NOT keep in poop. All
*they do is not swell up when wet.

Whereas two of the pools I took my kids to last year (at least one of
which was at the NJ shore, I don't remember specifically which pools they
were though) required that you use the disposable ones!!

That aside, the disposable ones absolutely do keep in poop. I've used them
on both of my kids from age 3 mo up, and we've never had an accident.

--
Hillary Israeli, VMD
Lafayette Hill/PA/USA/Earth

Old January 12th 05, 12:57 PM
Kim E

"Tom Paine" wrote in message

If your child needs a diaper, KEEP IT OUT OF THE POOL. Why isn't this
considered common sense?

I don't know, ask my Health and Wellness Center that offers Waterbabies
classes for infants 6 months and up.

If your child has a loaded swim diaper, some of
that bacteria is leaking into the pool. Do you really want other children
or adults to die because your child leaked **** or **** into the pool?

Ah, you must be from an underdeveloped country. Where I live they use
chlorine in the pools to prevent the spread of disease this way.

-kim

Also, urine is sterile only under normal conditions. If a urinary or
bladder infection is present, the urine isn't sterile. Do you know for a
fact that your child has no such infection? If not, then KEEP IT OUT OF
THE
POOL.

Your child's interest in swimming, or your interest in your child
swimming,
does not take precedence over public health and safety. Put off the
swimming in public pools until your child has sufficient bowel and bladder
control.

Tom P

Old January 12th 05, 01:00 PM
Kim E

"Hillary Israeli" wrote in message
In . net,
Irrational Number wrote:

*In fact, Water Babies, which is where I
*took Pillbug for swim lessons, says that
*they do not allow disposable swim diapers
*at all, which do NOT keep in poop. All
*they do is not swell up when wet.

Whereas two of the pools I took my kids to last year (at least one of
which was at the NJ shore, I don't remember specifically which pools they
were though) required that you use the disposable ones!!

I guess i better check with the place where we are taking Waterbabies to see
if they have any specific requirements.

That aside, the disposable ones absolutely do keep in poop. I've used them
on both of my kids from age 3 mo up, and we've never had an accident.

I find it hard to imagine that any diaper without the absorbent part will
actually keep in the really watery poops that my son has, but hopefully
whatever i use will work!

-kim

Old January 12th 05, 01:31 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Kim E wrote:

*I find it hard to imagine that any diaper without the absorbent part will
*actually keep in the really watery poops that my son has, but hopefully
*whatever i use will work!

They don't get much runnier than exclusively-BF-baby-poop....

Old January 12th 05, 02:44 PM
jjmoreta

Irrational Number wrote on 1/11/2005 6:19 PM:
Kim E wrote:

Hi-
We use cloth diapers - mostly chinese prefolds with wraps. I was
wondering, what do people who use cloth do for swim diapers? I have
seen disposable swim diapers, are there some special cloth type
diapers to use for swimming?

For swimming in a public pool, you need to
get a rubber-ized diaper, which just looks
like little shorts with good elastic to
keep poopy material in. They don't wear
anything underneath it and it is washable.

They don't care if kids pee in the pool,
since urine is sterile. They just don't
want fecal material floating around.

I wish more people brought these to lakes and rivers, as well. A lot of
people in the Midwest are more casual when they go to the beach at a
lake (i.e. leaving child in a normal diaper), but one incident of baby
poop escaping a diaper can contaminate the entire beach area (if not the
lake) with e coli so that no one can go in the water the rest of the
season or longer. Yuck!

- Joanne
Mom to Ian, 14 mos