tonight on C5

Old August 22nd 06, 11:21 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
lucy-lu

Default tonight on C5

Hi all,

There's a prog on Channel 5 (UK) tonight called "Honey I suckled the kids".
A snatch of the synopsis:

"This programme delves into a child-rearing phenomenon that intrigues and
disturbs people in equal measu 'attached parenting'(AP). The couples we
meet advocate prolonged breastfeeding, share the marital bed with children,
carry their children in slings past walking age and live without nappies."

(Find the full synopsis at
http://www.five.tv/programmes/hiddenlives/honeyisuckle/)

I think it's going to cause controversy and be presented in a bad light,
given as the trailer just seems to show kids pooing on the floor and saying
basically they run the parents' lives.

I'd be really interested in your views

Lucy x

Old August 22nd 06, 12:00 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Mary Ann

lucy-lu wrote:
Hi all,

There's a prog on Channel 5 (UK) tonight called "Honey I suckled the kids".
A snatch of the synopsis:

"This programme delves into a child-rearing phenomenon that intrigues and
disturbs people in equal measu 'attached parenting'(AP). The couples we
meet advocate prolonged breastfeeding, share the marital bed with children,
carry their children in slings past walking age and live without nappies."

(Find the full synopsis at
http://www.five.tv/programmes/hiddenlives/honeyisuckle/)

I think it's going to cause controversy and be presented in a bad light,
given as the trailer just seems to show kids pooing on the floor and saying
basically they run the parents' lives.

I'd be really interested in your views

Lucy x

Oh, thanks for that. Just read the synopsis. It's going to drive me
batty by the looks of it!

Mary Ann

Old August 22nd 06, 12:04 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Mary Ann

lucy-lu wrote:
Hi all,

There's a prog on Channel 5 (UK) tonight called "Honey I suckled the kids".
A snatch of the synopsis:

Actually, I think it's on next Monday at 9pm.

Mary Ann

Old August 22nd 06, 03:35 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Sarah Vaughan

Mary Ann wrote:
lucy-lu wrote:
Hi all,

There's a prog on Channel 5 (UK) tonight called "Honey I suckled the kids".
A snatch of the synopsis:

Actually, I think it's on next Monday at 9pm.

Ah - that makes sense! I was thinking this had to be the programme that
someone from one of my mailing lists said she was on, but was thinking
"I'm _sure_ she said it was the 28th". I wondered whether it was part
of a series! From what you say, this must be the same one.

digs around in e-mail archives to find post

Right, got it - she said there was some kind of article about it in
'Closer' magazine. Right - I'll have to have a look at that when I'm in
town! She said that the lady who interviewed her for the 'Closer'
article says that she's seen the programme and it portrays them as
'caring and committed' parents. Well, we'll see, I suppose....

All the best,

Sarah
--
http://www.goodenoughmummy.typepad.com

"That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be" - P. C. Hodgell
Old August 22nd 06, 03:48 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Sarah Vaughan

Sarah Vaughan wrote:
Mary Ann wrote:
lucy-lu wrote:
Hi all,

There's a prog on Channel 5 (UK) tonight called "Honey I suckled the
kids".
A snatch of the synopsis:

Actually, I think it's on next Monday at 9pm.

Ah - that makes sense! I was thinking this had to be the programme that
someone from one of my mailing lists said she was on, but was thinking
"I'm _sure_ she said it was the 28th". I wondered whether it was part
of a series! From what you say, this must be the same one.

digs around in e-mail archives to find post

Right, got it - she said there was some kind of article about it in
'Closer' magazine. Right - I'll have to have a look at that when I'm in
town! She said that the lady who interviewed her for the 'Closer'
article says that she's seen the programme and it portrays them as
'caring and committed' parents. Well, we'll see, I suppose....

Quick addendum: Had a look at the RT for next week and it says there are
three mothers featured. The one I know from the mailing list is Liz
(Lizanne).

From the RT blurb it looks as though the programme may be discussing
claims that AP ("attached parenting", as they call it), is superior to
other forms, and discussing whether it actually is. That could
potentially be interesting, but I do hope they treat it as "Is one
method of parenting actually any better than any other?" rather than
"Which one is the best?"

All the best,

Sarah

Old August 22nd 06, 06:23 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

lucy-lu wrote:
Hi all,

There's a prog on Channel 5 (UK) tonight called "Honey I suckled the kids".
A snatch of the synopsis:

"This programme delves into a child-rearing phenomenon that intrigues and
disturbs people in equal measu 'attached parenting'(AP). The couples we
meet advocate prolonged breastfeeding, share the marital bed with children,
carry their children in slings past walking age and live without nappies."

So basically they're saying that none of this is normal, otherwise it
wouldn't deserve comment?

What on earth could be considered wrong about carrying a child in a
sling past walking age? I don't know ANYONE who has done totally
without a stroller, backpack, wagon, carrying in arms, etc. when their
kids were toddlers. A sling is surely just a variant, no?

--Helen

Old August 22nd 06, 07:22 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

What on earth could be considered wrong about carrying a child in a
sling past walking age? I don't know ANYONE who has done totally
without a stroller, backpack, wagon, carrying in arms, etc. when their
kids were toddlers. A sling is surely just a variant, no?

yeah, but I guess they are meaning using a sling when you are not actually
going anywhere, but again you've often got to do something and sling is
often much easier than balancing the baby on the hip in the same situation,
it's as if cooking dinner with baby balanced on one hip is fine, but
sticking them in a sling of carrier on your back isn't!

Anne
(who's husband carriers a 14 month old on his back 2-3hrs a day in the
house)

Old August 22nd 06, 08:47 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Sarah Vaughan

wrote:
lucy-lu wrote:
Hi all,

There's a prog on Channel 5 (UK) tonight called "Honey I suckled the kids".
A snatch of the synopsis:

"This programme delves into a child-rearing phenomenon that intrigues and
disturbs people in equal measu 'attached parenting'(AP). The couples we
meet advocate prolonged breastfeeding, share the marital bed with children,
carry their children in slings past walking age and live without nappies."

So basically they're saying that none of this is normal, otherwise it
wouldn't deserve comment?

Um, yes. In this society, none of this _is_ normal, in the sense of
being usual or common behaviour. If this programme is aimed at making
people more aware that alternative parenting choices are also valid, it
could be a really good thing. (Unfortunately, it's quite possible that
it'll turn into either "Ha, ha, ha, look at the mad hippies!" or "The
Battle Of The Parenting Choices! Which one is the champion?" I'll
reserve judgement until I've seen it.)

What on earth could be considered wrong about carrying a child in a
sling past walking age?

Not wrong, just unusual.

All the best,

Sarah

Old August 22nd 06, 10:38 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
lucy-lu

"Mary Ann" wrote in message
oups.com...

lucy-lu wrote:
Hi all,

There's a prog on Channel 5 (UK) tonight called "Honey I suckled the

kids".
A snatch of the synopsis:

Actually, I think it's on next Monday at 9pm.

Mary Ann

Aaaah, yes, sorry......

Lucy - trying to remember to watch it next week!

Old August 22nd 06, 10:41 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
lucy-lu

"Sarah Vaughan" wrote in message

*snip*

.. If this programme is aimed at making
people more aware that alternative parenting choices are also valid, it
could be a really good thing. (Unfortunately, it's quite possible that
it'll turn into either "Ha, ha, ha, look at the mad hippies!" or "The
Battle Of The Parenting Choices! Which one is the champion?" I'll
reserve judgement until I've seen it.)

Just looking at it, I think they'll be lucky to be called mad hippies :/
Looks more like a "look at the dirty skanks whose kids poo on the floor,
while they stand there with their boobs out".... But still, hopefully I'll
be wrong, and it will be more of a "some people choose to raise their kids
this way, and that's ok"....

Lucy x