Midwives and my birth/story

Old May 19th 04, 08:31 PM
Jill

Default Midwives and my birth/story

"Circe" wrote
FWIW, I *do* think that Jill's midwives suggestion that she "labor down"

and
their desire for the epidural to have worn off in the pushing stage makes
sense from a practical POV, even if it wasn't what Jill wanted.

I can agree with the practicality..but they should have told me ahead of
time when I was giving them my birth plan and telling them how much I
wanted pain relief during labor, not to be turned down etc!

But oh well...each day that goes by the better I feel as I recover...now I
am just so exhausted!

Old May 19th 04, 08:36 PM
Jill

"Jennifer and Robert Howe" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Jill,
I ended up pushing for 6 or 7 hours I can't remember so I can understand.
that was too long to push I remember asking for a c-section like 2 hours
into pushing.

Jennifer

You know, I was getting tempted to just lay back and let them do the
c-section....and make it all over with, finally. I didn't know it at the
time but the OB turned out to be amazingly good. But, I was so terrified of
a C-section! I wanted to push as long as they'd let me.

But.....4 hours was enough. (The OB said that too...he came running in, and
said "This is enough! Let's get that baby." and..he did! bless him.

Old May 19th 04, 09:06 PM
Em

"PattyMomVA" wrote in message
I've always wondered about something with regards to pushing. With

both
babies, I felt the urge to push, as in I knew I was ready to, but I

felt
like I preferred not to. At that point, the contractions became much

less
painful. It felt like I wanted to just do nothing during a

contraction and
feel a little relief from having to deal with them for hours. (BTW, I

had
an epidural with DD and nothing with DS.) The nurse was telling me to

push
when I felt a contraction. Instead, I felt a contraction and didn't

push.
I just didn't want to. But, she figured this out by looking at the

monitor,
knowing I was having a contraction, so told me to push. I still

wonder to
this day if it might have been nicer to me and not unsafe for the baby

rest through a few contractions at that point and then push when I

wanted
to. Does this happen to other women?

I think I know what you mean. When I got to the birth center and was
examined, I was fully dilated. The nurse told me to go ahead and push
when I felt the urge. I had been feeling a little "pushy" (I guess) and
had feelings of weird pressure, but nothing involuntary or
uncontrollable, like I hear others describe. I sat in a rocking chair
for a while and talked to my DH and the other people that were there to
help me. I felt very surreal and unreal (I was so shocked to be there
fully dilated, I was in disbelief that I had really done it and was so
close to the end!). After about 30 minutes or so of waiting for some big
"urge" to strike me, I started pushing kind of experimentally, to see
what would happen and then went from there (DS was born after a little
over 1 hour of pushing. A lot of that being just "practice" pushing
really). I did feel like pushing, but it wasn't as intense as I
envisioned. What was incredibly and unexpectedly intense for me was the
prolonged "ring of fire" I experienced. (that was what made me feel
scared too and was when I came the closest to "freaking out" during my
labor). Actually, those pushy feeling and pressure feelings, in
hindsight, had begun while I was still laboring at home, but I didn't
know how to label them other than to say that I had a "weird feeling."
The feelings continued on the drive to the birth center and then kind of
went on a hold a bit while I was mentally adjusting to being at the
birth center and getting ready to push. Anyway, it just makes me wonder
how long I had really been fully dilated and what would have happened if
I had done something about those pushy feelings at home, instead of just
ignoring them or brushing them off as weird feeling :-)

--
Em
mama to L-baby, almost 8 months old!

Old May 19th 04, 09:28 PM
Ericka Kammerer

PattyMomVA wrote:

I've always wondered about something with regards to pushing. With both
babies, I felt the urge to push, as in I knew I was ready to, but I felt
like I preferred not to. At that point, the contractions became much less
painful. It felt like I wanted to just do nothing during a contraction and
feel a little relief from having to deal with them for hours. (BTW, I had
an epidural with DD and nothing with DS.) The nurse was telling me to push
when I felt a contraction. Instead, I felt a contraction and didn't push.
I just didn't want to. But, she figured this out by looking at the monitor,
knowing I was having a contraction, so told me to push. I still wonder to
this day if it might have been nicer to me and not unsafe for the baby to
rest through a few contractions at that point and then push when I wanted
to. Does this happen to other women?

Women left to their own devices often have a resting
phase after they get to full dilation. It is just fine, and
often a good idea, to allow her to wait until she wants to
push. Of course, I wouldn't know from experience since I
desperately wanted to push before I was fully dilated all
three times ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka