Membrane rupture question

Old May 14th 04, 04:10 PM
aXis Computers & Communications

Default Membrane rupture question

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Looking for loans?
http://acc2.dynip.com:1000/loan/index.htm
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
The pregnant pages are now online

http://acc2.dynip.com:1000/preg/index.htm

"Em" wrote in message
news:2V4pc.91543$Ik.7022965@attbi_s53...
"Vicki S" wrote in message
(Elizabeth H Bonesteel) wrote:
One woman this morning said that "they" will need to make sure the

baby is born
within 24 hours of your water breaking, because after 24 hours there

is a high
risk of infection. Someone else said that if your water doesn't

break, "they"
will do it for you at the hospital.
... is it really SOP if labor is progressing normally? And is there

really a
legitimate 24-hour "deadline" after your water breaks?

When I gave birth in a hospital, I was quite close to delivering my
son in an intact bag of waters -- something I really wanted purely for
the romantic and "cool" aspect -- when my OB said she wanted to break
the bag. So I asked my doula (who is usually a homebirth midwife and
caught my second child) what she thought, and she said it was ok to
let the doctor break the bag. So I let them. I still don't know why
the Dr. wanted to. They didn't install a monitor, that's for certain!
I should ask my midwife about this the next time I see her. :-)

At any rate, the woman who said that "they" will break your bag for
you if it doesn't break on it's own, is probably almost always right
-- at least in US hospitals.

rant--certainly not directed at you Vicki, just this issue in
general

I find it interesting how it seems like you can't win with how ROM
occurs--if it breaks on its own, its "too soon" and hospital personnel
get worked up about infection, but if it doesn't break early enough in
labor, then it needs to be broken to "speed things up" or to "help
things along" (even if labor hasn't really begun yet). Seems like quite
a contradiction! I'm fairly cynical/pessimistic/negative about the
hospital birth climate, so take this fwiw, but my observation is that
the ROM issue is yet another way of taking control away from the
laboring woman and making her feel like something is "wrong" with how
her baby is doing things (either breaking the water too soon or not soon
enough--apparently only a doctor knows when the precisely "right" time
is. G*d forbid it should be the woman's own body and baby that
decides!).
/rant

I think it would have been neat if your son was delivered in the
caul--doesn't happen very often! My water didn't break in labor until I
was fully dilated and pushing (at which time it broke quite
forcefully!). By that time, I had basically forgotten that there was
even water to break and it was fairly startling to me!

--
Em
mama to L-baby, almost 8 months old!

Old May 14th 04, 11:53 PM
Vicki S

"Em" beadjoy@ .com wrote:

"Vicki S" wrote in message
... she said it was ok to let the doctor break the bag.
So I let them. I still don't know why the Dr. wanted to. ...

rant--certainly not directed at you Vicki, just this issue in general

Oh, I don't feel the slightest bit implicated. I really enjoy most
rants, actually. :-)

I find it interesting how it seems like you can't win with how ROM
occurs--if it breaks on its own, its "too soon" and hospital personnel
get worked up about infection, but if it doesn't break early enough in
labor, then it needs to be broken to "speed things up" or to "help
things along" ...

I expect my midwife would completely agree with you. She came over
for a prenatal today and we talked about why the OB broke my sac. She
had a few different answers, such as "it probably shaved 5 minutes off
the end of the birth", and "OB's like to do things". She said she has
a very hands-off attitude about such things, so I brought up how she
pulled the sac off my daughter's face after her head was born. She
said Ladybug was making exaggerated breathing motions with her mouth
and wanted to facilitate the baby's opportunity/ability to actually
breathe, since that's what she seemed eager to do. :-)
It was a good conversation. I learned more about the births of both
my children.

I think it would have been neat if your son was delivered in the
caul--doesn't happen very often!

ME TOO! I have just ONE more chance at this, and my midwife knows I
would love it to happen. Maybe this time it will! I've certainly
made tough enough sacs the last two times!

--
-- Vicki
Married DH May 21, 1995. Ima shel Sullen, born 11/16/99;
Old May 19th 04, 08:28 PM
Jill

It's strange to me that I had NO bleeding in my pregnancy at all and right
at almost 39 weeks I had an internal exam , which caused me to start
bleeding red right there in the office, bled for a whole night, and then the
next day my water broke with no contractions.

Could that have been a factor? I wonder if I would have been induced due to
ROM, if I had passed on the exam...

Old May 19th 04, 09:24 PM
Mary W.

Jill wrote:

It's strange to me that I had NO bleeding in my pregnancy at all and right
at almost 39 weeks I had an internal exam , which caused me to start
bleeding red right there in the office, bled for a whole night, and then the
next day my water broke with no contractions.

Could that have been a factor? I wonder if I would have been induced due to
ROM, if I had passed on the exam...

I think so. I had a similar experience- Had an internal at 39 weeks,
bloody show followed. ROM a couple of days later. I don't know if
they were related, but I suspect that they might be. This time, no internals
for me until labor starts. And hopefully that will happen when baby
is well positioned and without rupture of membranes.

Mary

Old May 19th 04, 09:58 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Jill wrote:

It's strange to me that I had NO bleeding in my pregnancy at all and right
at almost 39 weeks I had an internal exam , which caused me to start
bleeding red right there in the office, bled for a whole night, and then the
next day my water broke with no contractions.

Could that have been a factor? I wonder if I would have been induced due to
ROM, if I had passed on the exam...

Could be. There's no way to tell for sure, but
it's certainly a possibility.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 04:23 PM
| | Kids should work... Kane General 13 December 10th 03 03:30 AM
Kids should work. LaVonne Carlson General 22 December 7th 03 05:27 AM
And again he strikes........ Doan strikes ...... again! was Kids should work... Kane General 2 December 6th 03 04:28 AM
Dumb first time mom question :) Donna General 7 July 28th 03 03:29 PM