Pain

Old May 11th 04, 05:48 PM
Shannon

Default Pain

I was reading the very long thread regarding unassisted childbirth and
pain and it got me thinking....

When people say that the pain becomes unbearable, what do they mean
exactly? At what point do you know the pain is unbearable?

Does the pain become unbearable for the mother (ie. you pass out)?
Or does it become unbearable for the baby (ie. they become stressed)?
Or both?

Has anyone experienced a birth that was unmedicated and you went past
the point where you could have an epidural and it became unbearable?

--
Shannon

Please remove -NO SPAM from email address to email me personally.

Old May 11th 04, 06:17 PM
Dagny

"Shannon" wrote in message
I was reading the very long thread regarding unassisted childbirth and
pain and it got me thinking....

When people say that the pain becomes unbearable, what do they mean
exactly? At what point do you know the pain is unbearable?

I had one unmedicated birth and the pain was never even close to unbearable.
That's because the pain was incredibly intense at the peak of a contraction
towards the end of dilation, but peaks pass in a matter of seconds, and
between contractions, there's no pain. It's not pain just driving at you
the whole labor. It goes away in between ctx. If you have having ctx back
to back, it's probably almost over anyway. I never had those.

I think unbearable means you are not listening to your body and surrendering
to the process, or you have an extremely rough labor like back labor for
hours and hours, that you can't seem to remedy. This can happen even in
prepared people I would think if they have a precipitous labor or a baby
stubbornly stuck in a bad position. Most people don't have this.

Does the pain become unbearable for the mother (ie. you pass out)?
Or does it become unbearable for the baby (ie. they become stressed)?
Or both?

Has anyone experienced a birth that was unmedicated and you went past
the point where you could have an epidural and it became unbearable?

No.

Old May 11th 04, 06:31 PM
Tori M.

My advice is that you should go as long as you can without any medication
and then if you can not handle it anymore then go straight to an epidural.
I did not really find it all that painful more unnerving and it bothered me
that I could not pinpoint the discomfort. Also it bugged me to be moved
arround but the nurses kept wanting to reposition me and that is when I
finaly got an epidural I was fine when left alone in one spot. Also make
sure you have plenty of suport on hand. you may not want anyone in the room
with you but if you dont ask anyone to be there then if your husband does
not end up suporting you as much as you need then you will probably want an
epidural sooner. I wanted someone to hover over me and tell me it was ok
but I did not really get that and got an epidural instead... I was honnestly
planning my next child while I was in labor if that tells you anything It
did not feel like being stabbed or even like when I had what they thought
was a gall bladder attack. It was not even as bad as some twisted ankles I
have had... I guess the best way to describe it is that it is a "differant"
pain. It does not compair to any other pain I have had.

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Anna or Xavier due 10/17/04

Old May 11th 04, 06:38 PM
Welches

Shannon wrote in message
I was reading the very long thread regarding unassisted childbirth and
pain and it got me thinking....

When people say that the pain becomes unbearable, what do they mean
exactly? At what point do you know the pain is unbearable?

It's not an exact point. It gradually becomes too much. (In my experience)
Does the pain become unbearable for the mother (ie. you pass out)?
Or does it become unbearable for the baby (ie. they become stressed)?
Or both?

Mother. #1 was so relaxed during labour-she slept through most of it.

What I found was for #1 I had contractions starting at 1am. Mild, like
period pain, lasting about 60seconds 5 minutes apart. Too strong to sleep
through-and I was excited so didn't really try to sleep. About 12 hours
later the contractions got more painful. I went into hospital. After about
15 hours they checked me and said "well done you're 6cm dialated". By 22
hours later I had contractions coming every 2 minutes and lasting about 60
seconds still. Bear in mind that I had not slept for 22hrs either. They
checked me again and said "you're doing really well-8cm" That was the point
I called for an epidural (got it 2hrs later! Why do they make you sign
consent forms in the middle of labour? I'd have signed ANYTHING that they'd
said would take away the pain!) If they'd said 9cm I think I'd have coped
but it had taken 7hrs for 2cm and the thought of another 7hrs for the last
2cm!!! I needed the rest, and couldn't relax at all. Labour was 30 hours in
total.

Old May 11th 04, 06:48 PM
Leslie

Unbearable is a relative term, you know? If you don't die about it and you are
here to tell the tale, then I guess you were able to bear it!

For me, as long as I was able to be in control of my labors I did not find the
pain unbearable. The only time I had an epidural for *labor* was when I was
confined to bed on my left side hooked up to everything under the sun,
including pitocin, when I had preeclampsia.

Leslie
Old May 11th 04, 06:59 PM
Stephanie J

"Shannon" wrote
I was reading the very long thread regarding unassisted childbirth and
pain and it got me thinking....

When people say that the pain becomes unbearable, what do they mean
exactly? At what point do you know the pain is unbearable?

For me - the unbearable pain was the back pain associated with back
labor/posterior babies. Not unbearable to the point of passing out, or
anything like that. It felt like someone was ripping my spine in two - I
remember in one of my birth stories saying that I was trying to escape from
it or something similar. It gets better after birth. I have back troubles
anyway, though, so my experience might be not the norm.

Does the pain become unbearable for the mother (ie. you pass out)?
Or does it become unbearable for the baby (ie. they become stressed)?
Or both?

You know, I've not really thought about labor being so painful for the baby
that they would get stressed. Is that part of the reasoning behind
c-sections for preemies, I wonder? I remember reading somthing about that a
year or so ago. I would guess that for a term healthy child, it wouldn't be
that bad.

Has anyone experienced a birth that was unmedicated and you went past
the point where you could have an epidural and it became unbearable?

I haven't - well, actually I might have.. My 2nd birth was extremely painful
because of the back and I did have a shot of something or other at the
hospital. If that hadn't worked, I might have gone to something stronger
(like a c-section.. she was in distress but no-one but dh and I knew until
she was born) With my #5 I thought very seriously about going to the
hospital for medication. Seriously enough that between contractions, dh was
getting the little people dressed and had the phone ready to call 911 if
need be. Both of those times - and with my other births as well - just after
the point where I couldn't take it anymore, I started pushing and had a baby
within minutes.

--
Shannon

Just my experience.. Personally I found dental surgery/recovery and
recurrent kidney infections to be much more painful overall than any of my
labors. The labor was done sooner and I got a great reward from dealing with
itg

Stephanie
mom to 7 - 4 hospital, 3 unassisted
17, 15, 12, 8, 6, 3, and 11 months (1 on Sunday)

Old May 11th 04, 08:01 PM
Nan

On Tue, 11 May 2004 12:05:33 -0700, "Circe" wrote:

By my definition, unbearable is the point at which you feel that you are
feeling fear and stress as well as pain during contractions and cannot relax
between contractions because you are already fearing the next. When that
happens for any individual is impossible to pointpoint. But especially when
you lose the ability to relax between contractions, you're in trouble, IMO.

Another component of the bearability index is also exhaustion. I think many
women who opt for pain medication after planning not to have it give in
because they have been laboring for a long, long time and are so tired that
they're no longer able to muster the mental and physical resources required
to cope with the contractions.

You've keyed in on my experience with my first labor. I was so
exhausted and so stressed about the *next* contraction hitting me that
I couldn't relax.
I got a shot of Demerol in my IV and that enabled me to relax enough
to doze off between cx and my son was born less than 2 hours later.

Nan
Old May 11th 04, 08:05 PM
Circe

Shannon wrote:
[...]

I've never heard of this happening, though I suppose it might. I think,
mostly, unbearable to me just means that you are not able to exert any
mental or physical strength to cope with the pain any more.

Or does it become unbearable for the baby (ie. they become
stressed)?

Maternal pain doesn't induce fetal stress, to my knowledge. Although fetal
stress certainly can occur during labor, I don't believe it has any
relationship to the mother's experience of pain.

Has anyone experienced a birth that was unmedicated and you went
past the point where you could have an epidural and it became
unbearable?

Nope. I had an epidural in my first labor and wasn't really at the point
where it was unbearable (though I didn't really have much rest between
contractions, something I attribute to the pitocin). In retrospect, I know
had less than an hour to go to full dilation and it probably would not have
gotten much worst than it was.
--
Be well, Barbara
Mom to Sin (Vernon, 2), Misery (Aurora, 4), and the Rising Son (Julian, 6)

Aurora (in the bathroom with her dad)--"It looks like an elephant, Daddy."
Me (later)--"You should feel flattered."

Old May 11th 04, 08:15 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Shannon wrote:

I was reading the very long thread regarding unassisted childbirth and
pain and it got me thinking....

When people say that the pain becomes unbearable, what do they mean
exactly? At what point do you know the pain is unbearable?

My guess is they believe the pain is more than they're
willing to bear, given that there are alternatives available.

Does the pain become unbearable for the mother (ie. you pass out)?

No, you generally don't pass out. It just hurts.

Or does it become unbearable for the baby (ie. they become stressed)?

The baby can become stressed, but I've never heard
of it being because the mother was in pain. There are
times when mom is stressed enough that an epidural allows
mom to relax enough that labor gets back on track.

Has anyone experienced a birth that was unmedicated and you went past
the point where you could have an epidural and it became unbearable?

In many places, there really isn't a time when it's
too late for an epidural unless the baby's out (maybe not
even then, if there's a lot of repair needed ;-) Also,
for many women pushing is not the most difficult part of
labor. Still, I have to say that in three births I never
got to the point where I found it unbearable. It was hard
work, and intense sometimes, but I never found it unbearable
and never felt out of control or panicky.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old May 11th 04, 08:18 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Tori M. wrote:

[...]

You've identified two huge factors that affect
the experience of labor pain--interference with the
mother's choice of position and movement, and lack of
support. That's part of why it's uncommon to find
unmedicated hospital births and uncommon to find homebirthers
who wish they'd had drugs. They mess with you a lot
in the hospital, and at home you're the boss. (You can
limit the amount of messing they do in the hospital, but
even the least they'll do is almost always a lot more
than you'd have to deal with at home.)

Best wishes,
Ericka