Pain

Old May 11th 04, 08:54 PM
Amy

Default Pain

I don't know at what point the pain could get unbearable, because when pain
gets unbearable for me I tend to stop feeling it - like you can only feel so
much pain. This seems to be very true of childbirth. Does that make any
sense? I'm actually really looking forward to this birth. Women have a much
higher pain tolerance than men, that's why men don't get pregnant ;-)

Seriously, I think people are in more pain when they are _scared_ of the
pain....just go with it, trust that your body knows how to do it's thing -
you'll be fine.

"Shannon" wrote in message
I was reading the very long thread regarding unassisted childbirth and
pain and it got me thinking....

When people say that the pain becomes unbearable, what do they mean
exactly? At what point do you know the pain is unbearable?

Does the pain become unbearable for the mother (ie. you pass out)?
Or does it become unbearable for the baby (ie. they become stressed)?
Or both?

Has anyone experienced a birth that was unmedicated and you went past
the point where you could have an epidural and it became unbearable?

--
Shannon

Please remove -NO SPAM from email address to email me personally.

Old May 12th 04, 12:40 AM
Mary Gordon

I've had two unmedicated births (out of three) and the only time the
pain started to get over the the top is during transition, when
contractions are piling on top of each other. However, it doesn't last
long, and then the urge to push comes over you and you have a focus.
Crowning is also pretty intense, but at that point, its almost over.

The real enemy is exhaustion, since if you get really tired, you can't
cope with anything - you get strung out and at the end of your rope -
so long, slow labours, back labours or labours that get stalled with
contractions in high gear without progressing (such as sometimes
happens when baby is in a less than great position) - those are the
ones where mom gets past her limit. Its not as much a function of
pain, but just being too tired to keep going.

I've had a few friends who transferred from home to hospital purely
for pain relief, and the common denominator was always that labour was
not progressing well and mom got too tired to deal with it - back
labour in particular seems to be quite exhausting.

You'd be surprised though - you do NOT pass out from pain. I think
that only happens in movies!

Mary G
Old May 12th 04, 02:05 AM
Leanne

If you have having ctx back
to back, it's probably almost over anyway. I never had those.

I was having contractions with no break inbetween and i was only at 5cm

Old May 12th 04, 02:15 AM
Dagny

"Leanne" wrote in message
If you have having ctx back
to back, it's probably almost over anyway. I never had those.

I was having contractions with no break inbetween and i was only at 5cm

How much longer did you have to go?

Old May 12th 04, 02:44 AM
Alpha

Shannon says:

When people say that the pain becomes unbearable, what do they mean
exactly? At what point do you know the pain is unbearable?

My second labor was back labor. For me, the pain became unbearable during
pushing. There was no relief between contractions, just constant, terrible
pain. I was writhing, unable to find any halfway tolerable position on my
back or side or hands-and-knees, and unable to rest up for the next
contraction and more pushing. I did have an epidural at that point, but we
had let it fade for pushing. The baby was posterior and wasn't turning. I
had more unbearable pain when the midwife put her hand inside and tried to
help the baby turn. I remember shrieking and begging, "Please stop, I
can't take any more." In 3+ hours of pushing the baby hadn't progressed
very far at all, was still too high for vacuum extraction, and this being a
VBAC attempt, they didn't want to let me push on and on and on. It ended
in c-section.

During my first labor, there was no point where I would say the pain became
unbearable. I got the epidural at 7cm, but that was because I was afraid
the pain would become unbearable. When we let the epidural wear off for
pushing, I realized that I probably could have done without the epidural.

-- Alpha
mom to Eamon and Quinn
Old May 12th 04, 05:02 AM
Leanne

How much longer did you have to go?

I cant quite remember, it was around 5 to 6 hours

Old May 12th 04, 05:18 AM
Leanne

You'd be surprised though - you do NOT pass out from pain. I think
that only happens in movies!

the funny thing about it is that you can pass out from pain.. people just
dont seem to do it in child birth... just like your body doesnt kill your
baby when it would kill anything else growing inside you at that rate... its
all quite interesting

Old May 12th 04, 06:52 AM
CrystalRGarcia74

You'd be surprised though - you do NOT pass out from pain. I think
that only happens in movies!

I must have been in a Movie with DS#2
Old May 12th 04, 08:54 AM

On Tue, 11 May 2004 12:48:54 -0400, Shannon
wrote:

Has anyone experienced a birth that was unmedicated and you went past
the point where you could have an epidural and it became unbearable?

Yes. For my third baby I got to the point where I thought the pain was
unbearable and yelled for an epidural. I couldn't manage to keep still
enough for them to even get an IV in prior to the epidural. I then saw
the midwife wave away the Dr telling him it was too late for either an
IV or an epidrual.

After that, when I just accepted that this was it, the pain was
*heaps* easier. The birth was fantastic. I gave birth almost standing
up. The midwives threw sheets and pillows on the ground and "caught"
my baby - with me standing up and yelling "don't you dare drop him,
make sure you catch good!" (I must also confess I could hear Todd
Gastaldo in my head during this birth - I wasn't determined to give
birth in any particular position but the pain was minimalised when I
was standing in a kind of standing squat IYKWIM?)

I've had one birth with a full, numbing epidural, another with a
walking epidural and an unmedicated birth. The complete epidural wiped
me out for days, they used *huge* forceps, I had an episiotomy and I
had heaps of pain afterwards, could hardly sit down. The "walking
epidural" just numbed the pain a little, but enough to stop me
freaking out. I felt fantastic after this birth - no pain (except for
normal afterpains). The third unmedicated birth resulted in no pain
(afterpains though, of course) but I was physicallly exhausted, felt
like I'd run two marathons.

Old May 12th 04, 09:02 AM

On Tue, 11 May 2004 14:01:20 -0500, Nan wrote:

You've keyed in on my experience with my first labor. I was so
exhausted and so stressed about the *next* contraction hitting me that
I couldn't relax.

Same here. I also found that because my first labour was so intense in
the middle of the night, I just wasn't awake enough to deal with it.
All I wanted to do was sleep. I gave in and got a full epidural at
about 4am because sleep was all I cared about at that point. (That was
before I knew about sleep deprivation and when I thought I needed a
full 8 hours sleep to live LMAO).